Duke Nukem Train Wreck Trashes Take-Two

Low Key

May 7, 2009
The best thing about the Duke situation is now Take Two can put out their own, hopefully better game. DNF was still basically a 3D Realms product. It was 90% complete when Gearbox finally got it.

It sucks to hear that about LA Noire though. I saw a little bit of a play through and it looked okay. Nice and fluid with decent dialog. One thing it lacked from Heavy Rain was boobs. Maybe that's the key.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
This is great news.
I think it's time to buy some Take Two shares. It's sure to go back up whenever the next gta comes out. They'll sell tons of that just on hype.

I probably would've bought LA Noir if they didn't do that whole BS with game content being separated out as pre-order "bonus" dlc.

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
This is going to sound a bit harsh but I have to say it.

Good.

Perhaps they'll realize that not everyone gets tight pants over exploding pregnant women, sexual sounds with crying (the hive), an carved up naked women.

Duke was not funny...it wasn't gallows humor...it was a sick, sad, disgrace to games, and even made the original games look tame by comparison. (yes this is all my own opinion but i'm not alone http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2011/06/duke-nukem-forever-review-barely-playable-unfunny-and-rampantly-offensive.ars >_>)

I've played Silent hill...Amnesia...Blood Omen...Dragon Age....but even I have limits. >_<

Schnapple1

Jun 15, 2011
teh_gunslinger said:
Azaraxzealot said:
looks like they'll be getting bought out by EA or Activision after all.

Say hello to GTA milking!

sunami88 said:
Auxiliary said:
They should have brought LA Noire to the PC as well. Point and click adventures are right up our alley.
Seconded. I really want to play this game, but I'm between consoles at the moment...
then they would have had piracy making sales even worse. great.
How does that even make sense? Let's say that the game shifted only 50.000 copies on PC and was pirated 17.000.000 times. That's still 50.000 more copies than than they sold now. Replace 50.000 with whatever number you imagine it would sell. The pirated copies makes no difference.
Some number of the 889,000 copies they did sell wouldn't sell because those people pirate it for the PC instead, and if that number is 50,000 then they're better off not putting it on the PC. There are people out there who, if a game is on the PC, then they pirate it for the PC. If it's not then they buy it for the consoles. Lame but true.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Apparently Duke Nukem is topping the UK chart at the minute, so review scores or no, it's still doing pretty well for itself. Of course that will decline within the week, seeing as the only people who'd buy Duke Nukem regardless of review scores will have preordered it anyway.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Schnapple1 said:
teh_gunslinger said:
Azaraxzealot said:

sunami88 said:
Auxiliary said:
They should have brought LA Noire to the PC as well. Point and click adventures are right up our alley.
Seconded. I really want to play this game, but I'm between consoles at the moment...
How does that even make sense? Let's say that the game shifted only 50.000 copies on PC and was pirated 17.000.000 times. That's still 50.000 more copies than than they sold now. Replace 50.000 with whatever number you imagine it would sell. The pirated copies makes no difference.
Some number of the 889,000 copies they did sell wouldn't sell because those people pirate it for the PC instead, and if that number is 50,000 then they're better off not putting it on the PC. There are people out there who, if a game is on the PC, then they pirate it for the PC. If it's not then they buy it for the consoles. Lame but true.
That's supposing they don't pirate it for consoles instead.

If a guy would pirate it for PC then that same person would, I imagine, have no issue with getting it for his console via a torrent as well. Or are we assuming that a brazen pirate will only pirate for PC?

As it stands the publisher has just managed to ignore a market that would be very happy to play the game. When I played the game I kept thinking that it would be less bad if I could just have some decent mouse control.

It really is a strange move to ignore a market segment that traditionally have been the home of point and click adventures in favour of a market that is traditionally the home of War of the Broses 2 and Bros Fighting Wars 4.

Hugums

Mar 14, 2011
Nobody should be allowed to be shocked at this. When a game has been in development for 13 years there is no physical way it could be as good as a 13 year development cycle would have you believe. And now we're left with a lot of pissing and moaning over a game that "Should have been great".

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Low Key said:
The best thing about the Duke situation is now Take Two can put out their own, hopefully better game. DNF was still basically a 3D Realms product. It was 90% complete when Gearbox finally got it.
It was 90% stitched together.
I had a pretty good idea of what kind of "development" was going on at 3D Realms prior to Broussard's sale of the Duke; so I didn't buy into the hype.

Sadly, I'm unsure if there is even a future for the Duke. I still believe that he has a place in today's pseudo-physics shooter-laden market, if only for some levity and comedy.
But no. Instead I get to watch as a small army of Halo and CoD4 clones march by unopposed.
Hooray for standardized 2-weapon switching, regenerating health, and cutscene-laden hallways...

Well, that just leaves Deus Ex: Human Revolution as the only game I give a toss about for this year. Hope it doesn't suck.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
So much for betting on Duke, eh?

One can always bet on Duke for hilarity. It's just that this time it happens to be at the expense of the creators. :p

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, I'm not really surprised about the failure of DNF to be any good, but I can't help for some reason feel a bit guilty over the low sales of LA Noire. I was quite intrigued by the game and fully intended to get it fairly soon after it came out. However, I did not foresee being so skint buying a game right about now would probably break my bank account. Sometimes, when you have the choice of continuing to have a roof over your head or a new game, there really only is one viable option. So therefore, the low sales of LA Noire are all my fault...:(

NightlyNews

Mar 25, 2011
MrSmallz84 said:
As Duke Fan Boy I have to say that the game is bad but, I still like it!?! I think this is more down to nostalgia then the game! DNF deserves the review scores it got and the stocks deserve to fall due to "Betting On Duke", sadly. I also agree that I wouldn't of minded playing La Noire, but as I'm a PC player I never got the chance! And as for the piracy of a PC version I don't quite agree there, I say this because when a game comes out that is multi platform I always see the XBOX 360 version pirated 1st without doubt! There is another point to this though and that is it's a lot harder to chip/flash an XBOX then to download a cracked copy of a PC game and install it. I just find not many people raise this point on piracy.

P.S. So this is how this comment malarky works then!
It's harder, but I guarantee you 90% of the people on this site could flash a 360 in a day. Once it's been flashed it is actually easier to pirate 360 dvds then deal with cracks.

Not advocating piracy just explaining that since 360 has laughable drm although the initial install is harder, you can guarantee anything you download would work.

And still companies use some unjust fear of the pc to keep all my favorite games from me. /bitching

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I think anyone pretending that the levels of PC and console game piracy are anywhere close to each other is being disingenuous, but that said, I don't think that releasing LA Noire on PC would have ultimately hurt Take Two. There likely would've been piracy, yes, but there also would've been sales.

LA Noire is a flawed game, but some of its core elements deserve to be built upon. I hope the lukewarm sales don't discourage further exploration into its mechanics.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I love how they blame poor reviews rather then the game.

Jeez it's no wonder gaming companies seem to consider PR warfare on review sites such a high priority.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:

sunami88 said:
Auxiliary said:
What the hell are you talking about?
Sorry, I'm just tired of this comment as being used to act like PC gamers shouldn't get games. Piracy cannot decrease sales. The two options you mention go like this-
1. Don't release on PC. Get no add to sales.
2. Release on PC, which obviously means rampant piracy (facepalm.) Even if only one person didn't pirate it for PC, that's an *added* amount of sales.

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
That's business for you, Personally I'm glad Duke didn't sell well, it's a shit game and it shouldn't get regognition for that, and as for Take Two, they knew what they were doing, but went ahead with it anyway. You havae to be stupid not to realize, any project that goes on for more than 3 years is doomed to juggled producers and game designers it will just look like broken glass stuck together with sellotape.

Cleariously

Mar 25, 2011
Hugums said:
Nobody should be allowed to be shocked at this. When a game has been in development for 13 years there is no physical way it could be as good as a 13 year development cycle would have you believe. And now we're left with a lot of pissing and moaning over a game that "Should have been great".
Obviously it could never have lived up to the expectations, but it could have at the very least been an okay game, but it is just bad.