Dumbest thing you've read online

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Woodsey said:
Yes you have, Zelda!

Alright, an example: GTA. You can change the character's clothes (armour) and customise their car (horse).

In Assassin's Creed 2 you can change the clothes, armour, weapons and horse of Ezio.

There are 100s of games where you can change something about the main character, even if it's just down to what weapon they're using.

"I'm saying if you can change something about the main character, it's an RPG."
Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that you must be able to name your character.
Sorry, I seriously forgot until you pointed that out.

And the name must have a relevance in text.
So everyone doesn't just go "Oh, brave hero" every time they see you.
So Mass Effect and Dragon Age aren't RPGs?

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
Granted it isn't something I've read but possibly this:

Edit: After reading a post about world history I just remembered having a discussion with an American who stated 'I can't remember every conflict we've been in but I'm sure we did pretty well' when asked if he thought America single-handedly won the Falklands War as well as WWII. There was also the YouTube comment from another American (I'm not trying to single out Americans by the way) about how 'we won every war we've ever been in'. My response to that was 'Including Vietnam?' and I have yet to get an answer.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Woodsey said:
So Mass Effect and Dragon Age aren't RPGs?
They are, seeing as a few of the written texts mention the name of your character.

In DA at least.
I've not played ME long enough to find out.
I got too bored.
In Mass Effect it's not referenced in the codex. I don't normally tell people they're outright wrong, but I can't think of another way to describe your definition.

There's got to be some major, overriding staple of an RPG to the game. Not something trivial like being able to name your character and choose what boxers they're going to wear.

It's like saying you must be able to see the characters' legs, or else it is not really a first-person game.

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
hyperhammy said:
DJmagma said:
"PC gaming is much better than console gaming."
"keyboard and mouse are ten times better than controllers."

i'm gonna get flamed for this. but that really does piss me off a lot, especially 2.
I agree, mouse and keyboard aren't better when it comes to Third person shooters and racing games.
agreed. It depends on Personnal Preference and What genre of game it is.

As for dumbest thing I've read online.....That Harry Potter fanfic called "My Immortal"

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Woodsey said:
In Mass Effect it's not referenced in the codex. I don't normally tell people they're outright wrong, but I can't think of another way to describe your definition.

There's got to be some major, overriding staple of an RPG to the game. Not something trivial like being able to name your character and choose what boxers they're going to wear.
That is major.

And every game defined as an RPG has it.
Except the whole "The name actually doing something in-game" thing, apparently.
But other than that it's like that.

It's like saying you must be able to see the characters' legs, or else it is not really a first-person game.
And the only thing defining an first-person game is that it is first person.
It's not major though!

It's barely referenced at all in Dragon Age and in Mass Effect it's only used to distinguish between save files.

RPG staples are levelling up, skill points, (moral) choices, turn-based combat or combat influenced by skill points, party members, dialogue options and customisation.

You don't need all of them to be an RPG, but you need more than a change of clothes and a change of name.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Woodsey said:
It's not major though!

It's barely referenced at all in Dragon Age and in Mass Effect it's only used to distinguish between save files.

RPG staples are levelling up, skill points, (moral) choices, turn-based combat or combat influenced by skill points, party members, dialogue options and customisation.

You don't need all of them to be an RPG, but you need more than a change of clothes and a change of name.
Those only apply to pure RPGs.

Zelda is an Action RPG.
There's a difference.
The difference being Zelda has nothing RPG about it.

You maybe able to change Link's name, but that's just there for the sake of it (and because all speech is written in text).

They're action-adventures.

Wikipedia definition:

"An action-adventure game can be defined as a game with a mix of elements from an action game and an adventure game,[4] especially crucial elements like puzzles.[5] Action-adventures require many of the same physical skills as action games, but also offer a storyline, numerous characters, an inventory system, dialog, and other features of adventure games.[6] They are faster-paced than pure adventure games, because they include both physical and conceptual challenges.[6] Action-adventure games normally include a combination of a series complex story elements made into an audio-visual display for players that is heavily reliant upon the player character's movement which affects the flow of the game.[7] Some examples of action-adventure games include the The Legend of Zelda,"

THE M3RCENARY

May 23, 2010
I hate it when people bash religion because they think it is cool to be an atheist.

Seriously grow up Christianity has been on this earth for a very long time. No matter how much you want it gone it will be here forever.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Woodsey said:
The difference being Zelda has nothing RPG about it.

You maybe able to change Link's name, but that's just there for the sake of it (and because all speech is written in text).

They're action-adventures.

Wikipedia definition:

"An action-adventure game can be defined as a game with a mix of elements from an action game and an adventure game,[4] especially crucial elements like puzzles.[5] Action-adventures require many of the same physical skills as action games, but also offer a storyline, numerous characters, an inventory system, dialog, and other features of adventure games.[6] They are faster-paced than pure adventure games, because they include both physical and conceptual challenges.[6] Action-adventure games normally include a combination of a series complex story elements made into an audio-visual display for players that is heavily reliant upon the player character's movement which affects the flow of the game.[7] Some examples of action-adventure games include the The Legend of Zelda,"
Because Wikipedia is always right?

I've found a whole bunch of flaws in Wikipedia entries.
Like that one.
No, but it's been found to be nowhere near as wrong as people claim. And this is just a definition; one that almost exactly describes Zelda games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
THE M3RCENARY said:
I hate it when people bash religion because they think it is cool to be an atheist.

Seriously grow up Christianity has been on this earth for a very long time. No matter how much you want it gone it will be here forever.
People don't bash religion because they think it's "cool" to be an Atheist, they "bash" it because they disagree with it on almost every level.

And no religion sticks around forever.

EDIT: Double post, forgot to merge the two.

Vorlayn

Jun 3, 2010
This:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebook_wants_to_be_your_one_true_loginpage3.php#comments

I mean, just read the comments-omg.