Dust 514 Fanfest Preview

Iron Glorfindel

Nov 9, 2010
Ugh, this game is definitely innovative, and I'd love to play it, but PS3 exclusive? The Xbox is the main FPS dealer, and of f**king course Microsoft wouldn't go for this, and PC is arguably the better FPS control scheme, and it's not for that either. Hoping they've got some plans for ports.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Elate said:
And this is why I stopped playing EVE. CCP making stupid decisions for their players, ok I understand they might not have had the money to work on this for PC, but PS3 exclusive? No. As people have stated, it's alienating the fanbase, as generally I'm going to assume that most people who have a Pc powerful enough to run EVE at max, probably don't have a PS3.

That and cash shop in an already Pay to play game, I mean really, that's a douche move.
The cash shop is for purely cosmetic items for your in station avatar that hardly anyone can even see right now. Besides you can buy a PLEX with in game currency and trade it for the points that you use to buy those clothes so you can get them without spending any extra real life money.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Some extra stuff from later round tables, more time with the game and interviews, and some stuff to address some of the comments brought up.

We weren't playing the latest build, likely an earlier more stable version, and the game is going to go into a fairly long beta. So hopefully that will address some issues.

CCP doesn't expect the vast majority of Dust players to also be Eve players. It's a free game on a 60 million person network.

A lot of the high level specifics of the interactions between Eve and Dust are still to be determined, and will be by the devs working closely with the fans. IE what ships can bombard, what modules (if any), etc

There will be a Vita app with much of the market, fitting, mail, etc functionality.

There will be a survival horde style PVE mode against Rogue Drones.

Esport support, which includes the potential to actually have gladiatorial-esk "esports" Dust matches being broadcast/existing in the Eve universe.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I'm interested, but not enough to play something online on a console. I'll wait until the inevitable PC release.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
DoomyMcDoom said:
Kwil said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
Again with this? Seriously, Sony is in no hurry to develop any sort of new console.. not in the next two years, probably not for another 5.

Development trends for the PS3 are actually better than they are for their competitors in the console market. Development for all consoles is dropping because of the increased development for iOS, tablets, and smartphones, and a new and improved console will not reverse that -- more importantly.. Sony's well aware of that.
Sony being "well aware" of any trends is hard to believe, I mean, looking at their development history... most recently the Vita...
Well on one hand the Vita did get off to a perhaps less than ideal start in it's homeland. But on the other hand when it came to the west it gained a good amount of momentum and now as far as I can tell it's performing respectably.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Aargh... damn you CCP... you're gonna make me buy a PS3 aren't you?

It's a good thing that I was already kid of considering that purchase, because I loved Eve, I loved the interaction, I loved the scale, I loved the completely player driven environment where entire Empires are run by -actual- people instead of stone-faced NPCs. But sadly I lacked the prerequisite free time to get very far in the game, even though I was part of the American Wing of the Red Legion.

If I get a PS3, this game will be on it, and you can bet I'll be dropping some coin into the store as a simple way of saying "Please support this amazingly awesome innovative idea." should I initiate a fanboy squeal at this point? Probably.

That said, the way this game will -really- sway me is if I can fly those transport ships myself. I used to do that on Planetside and I have been itching for a game that lets me get back into the pilot's seat like that again.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Volstag9 said:
Looks great! Amazing! Fantastic!

Oh wait. I don't have a PS3.

I could talk about the technical achievements this game has no doubt made but if a large amount of their targeted demographic can't play it. Then what's the point.
I don't understand your point. The PS3 has stronger hardware and they want to make an amazing looking game.

You want everyone to dumb down and homogenize their products so they can be used on everything? News flash: not everyone wants their games made ugly and with lowered performance just so the people who don't want to buy the required console can play it.

Also: how do you think Sony sells consoles? By having games in their library that can be played on every other console? No.

ITT: "QQ I don't want to purchase the required platform to play games."

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
FelixG said:
The problem was that microsoft is heavily invested in their gamertag system and wouldnt allow CCP to have people make characters with other unique names for the game.
Microsoft: "Nope. Gamertags or nothing." *waits for their bluff to work*

CCP: "Okay. PS3 all the way."

Microsoft: "... Whoops."

You kind of have to enjoy it when one of the big guys throws their weight around and no one listens to them, lol.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
CCP and all EVE related things can be summed up as follows. They make really good videos to advertise their product, interesting, full of action, excitement then you play their game (in this instance I am talking about EVE) and then see that it is without doubt one of the most awesomely boring experiences of your life. Really how can they make a universe set with a range of massive awesome looking ships be so soul crushingly boring?

So with that knowledge now in place lets look at a Dust 514, lots of videos showing exciting stuff, loads of action and lots going on, massive ships, a war like FPS all the stuff you would expect to be fun and exciting so I am guessing Dust 514 is going to be one of the dullest FPSes ever released.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Volstag9 said:

I could talk about the technical achievements this game has no doubt made but if a large amount of their targeted demographic can't play it. Then what's the point.
I don't understand your point. The PS3 has stronger hardware and they want to make an amazing looking game.

You want everyone to dumb down and homogenize their products so they can be used on everything? News flash: not everyone wants their games made ugly and with lowered performance just so the people who don't want to buy the required console can play it.

Also: how do you think Sony sells consoles? By having games in their library that can be played on every other console? No.

What?

All I'm saying is that I can't play the game because I don't have a PS3. That was my point.

I have a PC. All EVE players have a PC. This game is clearly linked to EVE so why not release it on PC?

The PS3 may be the most powerful console but PC's can be just as powerful.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Volstag9 said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Volstag9 said:

What?

All I'm saying is that I can't play the game because I don't have a PS3. That was my point.

I have a PC. All EVE players have a PC. This game is clearly linked to EVE so why not release it on PC?

The PS3 may be the most powerful console but PC's can be just as powerful.
Because this isn't EVE. They wanted to experiment and cross platform, cross games communication is about as cutting edge as it gets.

If they wanted to make it on PC, they would have.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
I'm interested, but not enough to play something online on a console. I'll wait until the inevitable PC release.
Probably not, see currently the game will be on one server basically, so if they made it for PC aswell, they would have to make another server as PS3 and PC Players wouldn't be able to play with each other for obvious reasons.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
As soon as it comes out on PC, and I really hope it does, I'll jump right on it. I dabbled in EVE online, but it proved too time consuming for me. I do know one of the biggest players in EVE though, and he would be delighted to play along on EVE, while I play on Dust.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
haven't played EVE for a long time, real pity that this isn't coming out the PC, but it wouldn't surprise me if it tanked badly and took CCP down with it.

Bet you all the Alliances have all the exploits mapped out and GoonSwarm have something spectacular and embarrassing planned for the launch day - just for the lulz.