E3: Nintendo Boss Admits Third Party Wii U Footage Came from Other Platforms

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
E3: Nintendo Boss Admits Third Party Wii U Footage Came from Other Platforms

There's still a year until the Wii U comes out, says Nintendo, but its games will look just as good as the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo's American arm, has admitted that not every bit of Wii U footage shown during its E3 press conference was actually running on the Wii U. While the first party material was all Nintendo's work, footage of third party games like Darksiders 2 actually came from other systems.

Fils-Aime made his confession in a video interview with Game Trailers, saying that the Wii U wasn't coming out for more than year by way of an explanation. He said that the Wii U versions of the games would look just as good as the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions - the Wii U will be capable of 1080p graphics - although he wouldn't talk about whether they would look better, saying that that was up to the developers.

[gametrailers=715143]

He made it clear that the Wii U would have much better third party support that the original Wii had received. He wasn't prepared to say that the Wii had failed to reach core gamers, but he did say that a lot of the third party titles hadn't appeared on the console. He said that developers had told him that the problem had been the Wii's relative lack of power, but with the Wii U that wouldn't be a problem and all that content could once again come to a Nintendo system.

I find it quite hard to get too upset by Nintendo using footage from other versions of third-party games. As Fils-Aime says, the Wii U is a year away from release, so expecting it to have games that far along in development is unrealistic. What's more, he didn't try to dodge the question at all, and was very open with his response. Obviously, this means we still don't have a clear idea of the WIi U is capable of, but there's plenty of time for that.

Source: via Game Politics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/06/07/nintendo-third-party-wii-u-footage-actually-other-platforms]

laryri

May 19, 2008
And yet people still said that they looked worse than their Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
15 hours late on this dudes :p What was especially egregious was Ubisoft with the GR:O footage

I lolled off my chair when i saw that in the conference

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
laryri said:
And yet people still said that they looked worse than their Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts.
Proof that people are too quick to jump at negatives before positives.

I'm fine with them using other platforms. Over a year is still a long time away, and I doubt developers would want to start putting in time on the Wii U before it's even announced to the public. Just my 2 cents...

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
I don't think they should have showed anything until they had some Wii U gameplay to show. Don't show anything, can't get messed up. Show another console, people will pick up on it

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
So to tout their awesome new system that will be out in 2012, they used footage from systems that came out in 2005 & 2006. Think about that for a moment. Let it sink in.

Nintendo's mistake wasn't using the footage from PS360 and trying to hide it. Their mistake is making a system that is EQUAL, and not LEAPYEARS BETTER.

You can't lure the hardcore audience back over to your side by asking them to pay for a system that looks the same as what we already have. That's not very smrt. Not very smrt at all.

Silly Nintendo.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
Makes sense really. The platform is a year away. Few of the games are out this year such as: Batman, Battlefield 3. The footage was bound to be from other consoles.

I guess we got the bird demo for our Wii U experience. ^_^

The videos were not doubt just to try and emphasize that they are 'planning' to have mature third party support.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Well surely no one thought any of the gaming footage besides Zelda was Wii-U footage did they? They were just saying "these are coming" and that was it.

TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
I don't play GR:O, what am I looking it, boss?

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
The.Bard said:
So to tout their awesome new system that will be out in 2012, they used footage from systems that came out in 2005 & 2006. Think about that for a moment. Let it sink in.

Silly Nintendo.

True, true. Not to mention all the HD, on-line, multiplayer stuff, that they have only just caught up with too.

Ashadow700

Jun 28, 2010
I am not buying the Wii-U if it turns out it is only as powerfull as the '360 and Ps3. No way. Did that misstake with the Wii, not doing it again.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Well surely no one thought any of the gaming footage besides Zelda was Wii-U footage did they? They were just saying "these are coming" and that was it.

TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
I don't play GR:O, what am I looking it, boss?
They used the shareware version of FRAPS to get the footage from the PC version for the show reel.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
By the time the Wii-U comes out I'd be expecting "better than" graphics, considering how old the 360 and the PS3 will be by then.

I'll still remain quietly confident however, I think its time Nintendo stepped up their play and this could be the moment to shine.

Charmi the ninja

May 28, 2011
I thought that was the case initially.

TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
15 hours late on this dudes :p What was especially egregious was Ubisoft with the GR:O footage

I lolled off my chair when i saw that in the conference

Dude, you're a ninja. Nice work spotting the "fraps" watermark.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
This actually makes me laugh. I really don't think it's anything spectacular, it was just showing what kind of games we would see, not a tech-demo, so really, no biggie. But the lol factor is, what's already has been mentioned, that people already have been complaining that the games looks like shit, only on par or worse than PS3 Xbox360.
Personally, I don't really care about how powerful it gets. Nintendo has proven that graphics does not a fun game make, not even a pretty game. Nintendo knows how to make their games looks pretty with what they have and I don't think we NEED much better graphics, we need better graphic designers. That said, I think It'll be a bit better than ps3, and that's fine. I honestly can't see what we'll gain from more graphics right now.

(Ps, I WANT HD ZELDA!!!)