E3: Nintendo Boss Admits Third Party Wii U Footage Came from Other Platforms

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
laryri said:
And yet people still said that they looked worse than their Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts.
Just proof that people can see whatever they want to see.

OT: To be fair to Nintendo, it's impossible to hold this against them. The thing's not out for a year and they only have tech demos up and running. Expecting it to already be able to run this stuff for the unveiling presentation was optimistic.

And anyone using this as proof that the Wii-U is going to suck needs to be slapped with something unpleasant-smelling.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
So, this basically amounts to an outright admission that the "new hotness" we'll be playing sometime next year on our brand new WiiU consoles is the same stuff we'll be able to play this year on systems we already own. Somehow that's not very reassuring, Reggie.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Gorfias said:
Silly, silly, silly, silly, x 1000. me. I thought this was simply a controller to utilize with my existing dust collecting Wii. Again, silly etc.

They want me to by another entire console for this gimick!?!?! And it will only look like a PS360? (I am not scandalized that they used footage from those systems... I just think them stupid.)

PCs are now an estimated 16x more powerful than they were when the PS360 came out. I'm looking for true Gen 8. I don't NEED a true gen 8. I love my PS360 very much, but wouldn't it be fun to see what the current envelope push would look like (and I think games like Crysis 2 were dumbded down from what they could have been) We have not yet really seen cutting edge).

For once, Nintendo seems 3 paces behind everyone else.

For those uncertain what this thing is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U
The GPU on that is based on Radeon 4xxx series, so that's 3 video card generations ahead of 360/PS3 and 2 behind newest gen PC's.
Not that much behind if you ask me.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I knew it, I called it. When I was watching those games I was thinking "can we actually see them demonstrated on the new console?", otherwise they could easily have used previous footage to show what it could do. That Battlefield 3 gameplay looked exactly like the previous footage we saw.

Regardless, the console itself does look interesting, even though I doubt I will get it. Should be interesting to see what comes of it, at the very least.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Hamster at Dawn said:
So the Wii U will be as powerful as Xbox 360 or PS3? How old are those consoles now? Come on, Nintendo, you should be making it MORE powerful not only just catching up to the competition just now. I seriously don't know what Nintendo are doing these days, the 3DS seems like a flop and the name "Wii U" really isn't a promising start to this new console.
It is a fuckton more powerful from what the press statements have lead people to deduce about what's under the hood. Devs showing the PS3/360 versions of games because they've not got NWU versions is understandable and the reel was more a "Yeah we're getting all these games + Nintendo first party stuff so shut up and give us your money" than a tech demo.

The full Flying Bird demo is awesome and puts anything on the current consoles to shame as does the Zelda one and there are even more impressive ones being shown to the press behind closed doors.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
ReservoirAngel said:

OT: To be fair to Nintendo, it's impossible to hold this against them. The thing's not out for a year and they only have tech demos up and running. Expecting it to already be able to run this stuff for the unveiling presentation was optimistic.

And anyone using this as proof that the Wii-U is going to suck needs to be slapped with something unpleasant-smelling.
What else do you expect of the Escapist forums? Nintendo is somehow an enemy because they're trying something new instead of just sucking off ungrateful brats. Seriously, give me another "rehashed" Mario, Zelda, and Metroid over the next WRPG blindly copying the KOTOR template whilst trying to cover up a weak story with admittedly good dialogue.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
munx13 said:
The GPU on that is based on Radeon 4xxx series, so that's 3 video card generations ahead of 360/PS3 and 2 behind newest gen PC's.
Not that much behind if you ask me.
Latest press release from AMD mentions a lot of features only on the 5xxx series of cards so it's even more likely that the base is from that series of cards not the 4xxx

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
mikozero said:
Caveworm said:
The.Bard said:
So to tout their awesome new system that will be out in 2012, they used footage from systems that came out in 2005 & 2006. Think about that for a moment. Let it sink in.

Silly Nintendo.

True, true. Not to mention all the HD, on-line, multiplayer stuff, that they have only just caught up with too.
you should seriously have a look at the specs this console is going to have before you make such judgement calls.

seriously.
besides, current gen graphics are fine. I just want less loading times.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
Gorfias said:
Silly, silly, silly, silly, x 1000. me. I thought this was simply a controller to utilize with my existing dust collecting Wii. Again, silly etc.

They want me to by another entire console for this gimick!?!?! And it will only look like a PS360? (I am not scandalized that they used footage from those systems... I just think them stupid.)

PCs are now an estimated 16x more powerful than they were when the PS360 came out. I'm looking for true Gen 8. I don't NEED a true gen 8. I love my PS360 very much, but wouldn't it be fun to see what the current envelope push would look like (and I think games like Crysis 2 were dumbded down from what they could have been) We have not yet really seen cutting edge).

For once, Nintendo seems 3 paces behind everyone else.

For those uncertain what this thing is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U
You are trolling right?

POWER7 tech is less than a year old and is going into the NWU and from the press release the 5xxx series of cards is likely being used as the base for the GPU (with modifications ofc). This is pretty much the best you can hope for with power draw/heat dissipation limitations of a closed system with current tech. It'll be a few more years before the monster GPU's out today are made to be able to go into them without overly expensive cooling solutions.

With multiplat releases you're looking at the games running at a solid 60fps on the NWU barring some atrociously shitty port job and of course games designed and built with assets for multiplat release are going to use the lowest common denominator (XBOX360/PS3 now) so you'll only see what it's capable of in the exclusives and when the other two console makers push theirs out the door (and i'm calling it right now that the gap will end up being akin to the PS2 and GC).
It's nice to know there is someone on here with some sense.

And to all the people complaining that the Wii u should be graphically superior to the PS3 and 360 because when Microsoft and Sony come out with their new system the graphics will be "light-years" ahead of the Wii u, but no one has stopped to think that maybe this is where graphical improvement is going to stop, or at least stagnate. Nintendo is was ahead of the competition because they are already working on innovations that aren't tied to graphics, Sony and Microsoft can keep trying to pump out systems with better graphical capabilities but they will hit a point where their new systems are just like their old systems with a new name, at least Nintendo has come up with something to differentiate the Wii u from the Wii

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Mana Fiend said:
laryri said:
And yet people still said that they looked worse than their Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts.
Proof that people are too quick to jump at negatives before positives.

It's because they wanna look cool in front of their peers. If they don't ***** and moan, others might think they're not cool. Everyone's twelve in some way or another.

TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
believer258 said:
I think it's supposed to be a good bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3. We'll see.

It should probably have 2 or 4GB of RAM and something along the lines of a Radeon 6970/Nvidia GTX 580. Which it looks like it might...

I thought the Zelda demo looked pretty damn good myself, and if you go back and look at early PS3 and 360 games you realize that they, mostly, look like shit. I mean, really, take a peek at Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 - they're kind of ugly now. Most consoles look tons better as time goes on and developers learn more about what they're dealing with.

Still, I'm not even thinking of it until I see tech specs.
IBM released a statement and told Engadget yesterday that the CPU is a POWER7 custom design with "loads" of EDRAM (probably 16MB) and either a 4 core solution (most likely as it's what is already made) or 3 core one to increase yields and lower power draw/heat. 45nm chip atm but it's possible that a shrink to 32nm will happen within a year if they release with the 45.
AMD's statement talks of features available in the 5xxx series of cards so it's reasonable to assume that the design is based on them.
No word on RAM yet as whichever manufacturer they've got is keeping shtum but with the CPU they've got they'll go with 1-2GB of high quality, fast RAM.

The GTX 580 is way too bulky, has too much of a power draw and runs way too hot to be viable in consoles for another 2-4 years or so even with massive amounts of money going into R+D, unless you go with £100 cooling solutions on top of the chip cost and a huuuge box for heatsinks+pipes for it and wouldn't offer as significant an improvement over the 5xxx series of cards in a closed system to warrant the spend. It would also break BC with the Wii :p

Also Pikmin 3 is definitely coming for NWU which guarentees my support even if the platform is just some string puppets in a box.
That, and they'd have to sell the thing at an even higher price just to make a profit. If people give that much of a shit about visuals, get/build a decent PC. Consoles will always sacrifice a bit of performance for being cost effective.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Aiddon said:
ReservoirAngel said:

What else do you expect of the Escapist forums? Nintendo is somehow an enemy because they're trying something new instead of just sucking off ungrateful brats. Seriously, give me another "rehashed" Mario, Zelda, and Metroid over the next WRPG blindly copying the KOTOR template whilst trying to cover up a weak story with admittedly good dialogue.
Yeah I actually agree with this. Say what you will about 'rehashed' Nintendo franchises, at least they're made unique each time because of the company's platform innovation. Compare the last 2 Zelda games and the upcoming one with the last 3 of any console shooting franchise. Take Gears of War for this example.

Zelda had stuck in touch-screen for its handheld titles, a unique and different art style and gameplay mechanic for the Wind Waker, and motion controls for Twilight Princess and the upcoming Skyward Sword.

Gears of War? Bigger set-pieces and better graphics. You think that's an unfair comparison? Okay. Modern Warfare: bigger set-pieces, better graphics and more explosions.

Even if Nintendo plays it safe with their traditional franchise on the Wii-U, I guarantee they'll be unlike any iteration of those series we've ever seen before.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
mikozero said:
-Dragmire- said:
mikozero said:
Caveworm said:
The.Bard said:
So to tout their awesome new system that will be out in 2012, they used footage from systems that came out in 2005 & 2006. Think about that for a moment. Let it sink in.

Silly Nintendo.

True, true. Not to mention all the HD, on-line, multiplayer stuff, that they have only just caught up with too.
you should seriously have a look at the specs this console is going to have before you make such judgement calls.

seriously.
besides, current gen graphics are fine. I just want less loading times.
well it's supposed to have 8GB internal flash storage.
I haven't heard much, did they say anything about installing cd based games to reduce loading times/improve performance?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Luthir Fontaine said:
So basicallly nintendo is full of shit...
Nintendo: Showed a reel of multi-platform games coming out for the Wii U, and didn't deny for a second that it's pre-existing footage from other platforms.

Sony: Showed footage that they repeatedly insisted on being real-time footage rendered by the PS3, but turned out to be pre-rendered cinematics.

Full of shit, you say?

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Aiddon said:
Well of course they're full of shit. Most gamers I meet have no clue about actual design or innovation. They ***** about Nintendo about using 20+-year-old franchises that constantly reinvent themselves while also keeping what worked and yet they have no trouble fellating games that are just cookie-cutter crap copy-pasted from the generic FPS, WRPG, TPS, or action game design solely because they have a name that isn't a sequel to something else. No, gamers have no clue what they actually want 90% of the time, they have to flatout TOLD what they want. Nintendo does its own thing and thank GOD for that
Wasting our energy typing out the words.

Nintendo makes a brand new gameplay style but uses a familiar brand that people love: they're just rehashing the same thing! The bulk of new releases out there are all copies of each other and their past titles, and that goes without notice. Heck, Blizzard makes a "new" Starcraft that's the same as the old but with prettier graphics and fewer features, and it makes obscene amounts of money and gamers rave.

Nintendo REMAKES an old title to be released for a new audience, many of whom have never played the original and even those who did haven't done so in years because it's only available on old, outdated hardware that's not for sale anymore: what lazy, greedy jerks they are! GOG.com makes a whole business model out of just re-releasing old titles and they're gamer gods.

I'm not lashing out at anyone here, I don't see a problem with so many similar games out there, as the subtle differences can be what makes or breaks the experience for many, and GOG.com is a great spot, glad it exists. But Nintendo gets so much flak, and the only reason I can see for it is that they don't play the game the same as everyone else. They do new and interesting things with their games, but they don't put on that fake coat of painting that others do to make their FPS Type2 seem original.

I'm not even a big Nintendo fan these days, as I game almost exclusively on PC, but even I can't help but notice the ridiculousness of it.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
mikozero said:
Caveworm said:
The.Bard said:

Silly Nintendo.

seriously.
Agreed. Think about this for a second as well - how much better than 1080p did you want? just because PS3/360 had HD in 2006, doesn't mean Nintendo can do any better now. Should it have come with brand new large display tech too? Nintendo invents the next tech: XHHD! extra high high definition!