E3: Nintendo Boss Admits Third Party Wii U Footage Came from Other Platforms

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
believer258 said:
I think it's supposed to be a good bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3. We'll see.

I mean, really, take a peek at Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 - they're kind of ugly now. Most consoles look tons better as time goes on and developers learn more about what they're dealing with.

Still, I'm not even thinking of it until I see tech specs.

Haha yeah. I booted up DMC4 and Condemned (hadn't played them in years)the other day and wondered why every had a plasticine look to them.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Gotta love how people usually cry about new ways of gaming and when they do get at least the potential to be able to have truly different gaming experiences, they cry about graphics.

Just goes to show, 95% of all gamers on the planet are full of shit :D

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Well surely no one thought any of the gaming footage besides Zelda was Wii-U footage did they? They were just saying "these are coming" and that was it.

TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
I don't play GR:O, what am I looking it, boss?
They used the shareware version of FRAPS to get the footage from the PC version
for the show reel.
WOW! I thought that was just from whoever was recording the stream! But you just said it was you watching it, so why wasn't I thinking about that? That's just...lol?

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I was just running over here to post this...

I think it's hilarious, personally. I wonder if Sony and Microsoft knew beforehand?

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
The.Bard said:
So to tout their awesome new system that will be out in 2012, they used footage from systems that came out in 2005 & 2006. Think about that for a moment. Let it sink in.

Nintendo's mistake wasn't using the footage from PS360 and trying to hide it. Their mistake is making a system that is EQUAL, and not LEAPYEARS BETTER.

You can't lure the hardcore audience back over to your side by asking them to pay for a system that looks the same as what we already have. That's not very smrt. Not very smrt at all.

Silly Nintendo.
that is a valid point but let's remember those were games that already exist, for all anyone knows at the moment, the Wii U could be capable of much better graphics and much larger games, although in my opinion I don't think graphics are going to get much better than they are anyway, which in my book is good because that means developers can focus on other things, like Nintendo always do, (admittedly that doesn't always work but experimentation is good) sure the Wii was a flop in the eyes of many, myself included, but the Gamecube was my favorite console of it's generation. so as long as the controls aren't awful to use like the Wii I'll be happy

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Makes sense, maybe, but they still effectively lied in a sin of omission. Being upfront about it in the actual presentation, not afterward, when people are less likely to be listening, still makes it offensively misleading. I consider it another strike against Nintendo and its Voldemort console (The System That Must Not Be Named).

You lost my respect once, Nintendo, and then you earned it back. You're losing it again. Don't expect it to be regained so easily this time.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Does it matter? All the devs said was 'Darksiders is coming, Arkham City etc is coming.' they never once said 'these are trailers of Darksiders on the Wii U.'

Microsoft shown Tomb Raider, Sony shown Bioshock. Maybe we should pounce on them too for not mentioning these weren't exclusives.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
believer258 said:
I think it's supposed to be a good bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3. We'll see.

It should probably have 2 or 4GB of RAM and something along the lines of a Radeon 6970/Nvidia GTX 580. Which it looks like it might...

I thought the Zelda demo looked pretty damn good myself, and if you go back and look at early PS3 and 360 games you realize that they, mostly, look like shit. I mean, really, take a peek at Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 - they're kind of ugly now. Most consoles look tons better as time goes on and developers learn more about what they're dealing with.

Still, I'm not even thinking of it until I see tech specs.
IBM released a statement and told Engadget yesterday that the CPU is a POWER7 custom design with "loads" of EDRAM (probably 16MB) and either a 4 core solution (most likely as it's what is already made) or 3 core one to increase yields and lower power draw/heat. 45nm chip atm but it's possible that a shrink to 32nm will happen within a year if they release with the 45.
AMD's statement talks of features available in the 5xxx series of cards so it's reasonable to assume that the design is based on them.
No word on RAM yet as whichever manufacturer they've got is keeping shtum but with the CPU they've got they'll go with 1-2GB of high quality, fast RAM.

The GTX 580 is way too bulky, has too much of a power draw and runs way too hot to be viable in consoles for another 2-4 years or so even with massive amounts of money going into R+D, unless you go with £100 cooling solutions on top of the chip cost and a huuuge box for heatsinks+pipes for it and wouldn't offer as significant an improvement over the 5xxx series of cards in a closed system to warrant the spend. It would also break BC with the Wii :p

Also Pikmin 3 is definitely coming for NWU which guarentees my support even if the platform is just some string puppets in a box.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
They should have just made a tech-demo if they wanted to show off how good the graphics for the system would be. No-one would have expected actual games to be demo-ready by the announcement, nor would they have doubted that they were lying about the games that were coming.

Showing something from a PC-version and implying (although not outright stating) it was from the WiiU just stinks of dishonesty.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
They should have just made a tech-demo if they wanted to show off how good the graphics for the system would be. No-one would have expected actual games to be demo-ready by the announcement, nor would they have doubted that they were lying about the games that were coming.

Showing something from a PC-version and implying (although not outright stating) it was from the WiiU just stinks of dishonesty.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
AND SO... The only real measure of what's can be done (and done well) with Nintendo's new console is stuff from Nintendo. Quelle surprise

What I want to know is if that bit with the bird was genuine Wii U.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Silly, silly, silly, silly, x 1000. me. I thought this was simply a controller to utilize with my existing dust collecting Wii. Again, silly etc.

They want me to by another entire console for this gimick!?!?! And it will only look like a PS360? (I am not scandalized that they used footage from those systems... I just think them stupid.)

PCs are now an estimated 16x more powerful than they were when the PS360 came out. I'm looking for true Gen 8. I don't NEED a true gen 8. I love my PS360 very much, but wouldn't it be fun to see what the current envelope push would look like (and I think games like Crysis 2 were dumbded down from what they could have been) We have not yet really seen cutting edge).

For once, Nintendo seems 3 paces behind everyone else.

For those uncertain what this thing is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Gladion said:
Gotta love how people usually cry about new ways of gaming and when they do get at least the potential to be able to have truly different gaming experiences, they cry about graphics.

Just goes to show, 95% of all gamers on the planet are full of shit :D
Well of course they're full of shit. Most gamers I meet have no clue about actual design or innovation. They ***** about Nintendo about using 20+-year-old franchises that constantly reinvent themselves while also keeping what worked and yet they have no trouble fellating games that are just cookie-cutter crap copy-pasted from the generic FPS, WRPG, TPS, or action game design solely because they have a name that isn't a sequel to something else. No, gamers have no clue what they actually want 90% of the time, they have to flatout TOLD what they want. Nintendo does its own thing and thank GOD for that

mik1

Dec 7, 2009
It should be years ahead, but microsoft was planning on just promoting kinect for the next 5 years. As for sony idk, my guess is they'll have slightly better graphix than the wiiU

The.Bard said:
So to tout their awesome new system that will be out in 2012, they used footage from systems that came out in 2005 & 2006. Think about that for a moment. Let it sink in.

Nintendo's mistake wasn't using the footage from PS360 and trying to hide it. Their mistake is making a system that is EQUAL, and not LEAPYEARS BETTER.

You can't lure the hardcore audience back over to your side by asking them to pay for a system that looks the same as what we already have. That's not very smrt. Not very smrt at all.

Silly Nintendo.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
So the Wii U will be as powerful as Xbox 360 or PS3? How old are those consoles now? Come on, Nintendo, you should be making it MORE powerful not only just catching up to the competition just now. I seriously don't know what Nintendo are doing these days, the 3DS seems like a flop and the name "Wii U" really isn't a promising start to this new console.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Gorfias said:
Silly, silly, silly, silly, x 1000. me. I thought this was simply a controller to utilize with my existing dust collecting Wii. Again, silly etc.

They want me to by another entire console for this gimick!?!?! And it will only look like a PS360? (I am not scandalized that they used footage from those systems... I just think them stupid.)

PCs are now an estimated 16x more powerful than they were when the PS360 came out. I'm looking for true Gen 8. I don't NEED a true gen 8. I love my PS360 very much, but wouldn't it be fun to see what the current envelope push would look like (and I think games like Crysis 2 were dumbded down from what they could have been) We have not yet really seen cutting edge).

For once, Nintendo seems 3 paces behind everyone else.

For those uncertain what this thing is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U
You are trolling right?

POWER7 tech is less than a year old and is going into the NWU and from the press release the 5xxx series of cards is likely being used as the base for the GPU (with modifications ofc). This is pretty much the best you can hope for with power draw/heat dissipation limitations of a closed system with current tech. It'll be a few more years before the monster GPU's out today are made to be able to go into them without overly expensive cooling solutions.

With multiplat releases you're looking at the games running at a solid 60fps on the NWU barring some atrociously shitty port job and of course games designed and built with assets for multiplat release are going to use the lowest common denominator (XBOX360/PS3 now) so you'll only see what it's capable of in the exclusives and when the other two console makers push theirs out the door (and i'm calling it right now that the gap will end up being akin to the PS2 and GC).