E3: Nintendo's New Console Is: The Wii U

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
bismarck55 said:
Jabberwock King said:
So instead of coming out with an actual "new console" they come out with what is more appropriately described as a peripheral meant to compete with Microsoft and Sony's system upgrades. It makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking would happen. Nintendo gets to release new hardware without exposing themselves to being severely outclassed by their rivals next console. It's good to know that I don't have get this thing to play Skyward Sword, as I would have skipped out on it otherwise. Guess I'll have to wait a little longer for the death of Nintendo by their own incompetence, oh well.

Edit: Wait, I know that this new controller has HD graphics, but does this mean that the Wii itself still puts shitty graphics on my TV?
Update: OK, I got an answer to that question, so there is no need for any more clarification.
Impressive. I think you managed to one-up those people who actually thought the 3ds was just another DS redesign. Then again, you probably were one of those people.
The thing that confused me about it was that the stage presentation completely focused on the controller, and the actual machine was given no significant showing, though in hindsight, I could see it from a few of the camera angles as a white speck dwarfed by the stage screen. Keep in mind that I was playing Minecraft and/or checking the flood of new articles here on the Escapist at the time, so my interest was not focused on a console that I have no intention of inflicting myself with premature arthritis from.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
Jabberwock King said:
The thing that confused me about it was that the stage presentation completely focused on the controller, and the actual machine was given no significant showing, though in hindsight, I could see it from a few of the camera angles as a white speck dwarfed by the stage screen. Keep in mind that I was playing Minecraft and/or checking the flood of new articles here on the Escapist at the time, so my interest was not focused on a console that I have no intention of inflicting myself with premature arthritis from.
Yeah, the presentation might have been a bit confusing, if you were a bit unfocused. But to be honest, who cares how the console itself looks like? The important things I wanted to know were, how does the controller work, what are the technical specs., what games are in work for it, and maybe how much will it cost. The look of the Console might be the least important thing there is... as long as they don't f*ck up the design.

Oh and bad news for you, the chances for premature arthritis are way higher when you play/work on your Pc/laptop than on any Nintendo console.

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
That design looks like a really sleek packaging of a legitamately awful concept. I mean, to me, it looks like they cut the lower half of a DS in two, then put the two sides of it on the left and right ends of the top screen respectively.

Brown_Coat117

Oct 22, 2010
I must say that unless there is some revelation about the Wii U I will not be getting this system the controler doesn't look confortable for playing for longer periods of time plus I don't want another console I already have my 360 and ps3 I'll be fine with those till oh 2015 when they are replaced by consoles that will blow the Wii U out of the Water.

On the plus side fot the Wii U it did remind me of a great movie Kung Pow Enter the Fist wich I just had to watch my copy of after hearing what the new Nintendo console was.