E3 Preview: SimCity (2013)

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3 Preview: SimCity (2013)

EA reboots one of its most beloved franchises.

Read Full Article

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
I am in love. Arsonist, riots for actual causes? Wonder if you could make money off of crime in your city. Or if disasters actually cause casualties now that people are individual units rather then a number. Will city sizes feature extremely large region sizes? Gah so many questions!

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
A Satanic Panda said:
I am in love. Arsonist, riots for actual causes? Wonder if you could make money off of crime in your city. Or if disasters actually cause casualties now that people are individual units rather then a number. Will city sizes feature extremely large region sizes? Gah so many questions!
I'm wondering if there will be online griefers who make their city so shitty it will flood over with criminal scum that soon invade other cities. I'd bet if you just know the variables, you could technically make your city into a "criminal scum" factory.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Honestly the biggest deal for me is the system for zoning. If they go back to that nonsense that tried to put in streets for you, I'm not interested.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
NLS said:
A Satanic Panda said:
I'm wondering if there will be online griefers who make their city so shitty it will flood over with criminal scum that soon invade other cities. I'd bet if you just know the variables, you could technically make your city into a "criminal scum" factory.
Execpt my city wil be a gloious autocratic police state. I will create a DMZ on all sides of my city, complete with check points and helicopters. Or maybe a moat around my city. I don't care if my workers have no rights. At least I have no crime.

That sounds really fun actually, adapting your city to beat the griefers.

Misterben

Dec 3, 2010
"No, in the new SimCity, the density of a zone will be determined instead by the size of the road you put next to it. Build a residential area next to a simple two lane street and you'll get modest suburban homes. Build that same residential area next to a highway and you'll get massive apartment buildings."

I really, really hope the author misunderstood what the EA folks were saying here. Otherwise, this is really stupid. In reality, the size of a road has almost nothing to do with the size or density of the development that occurs alongside it. (In fact, in many cases where it does seem to have an effect, the effect is inverse: that is, larger roads with more traffic capacity, like expressways, seem to almost guarantee low-density development.)

Density-based zoning is one of the most true-to-life aspects of the old SimCity, and it would be a shame if they replaced it with the idea above, which is just, well, babytown frolics.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Misterben said:
"No, in the new SimCity, the density of a zone will be determined instead by the size of the road you put next to it. Build a residential area next to a simple two lane street and you'll get modest suburban homes. Build that same residential area next to a highway and you'll get massive apartment buildings."

I really, really hope the author misunderstood what the EA folks were saying here. Otherwise, this is really stupid. In reality, the size of a road has almost nothing to do with the size or density of the development that occurs alongside it. (In fact, in many cases where it does seem to have an effect, the effect is inverse: that is, larger roads with more traffic capacity, like expressways, seem to almost guarantee low-density development.)

Density-based zoning is one of the most true-to-life aspects of the old SimCity, and it would be a shame if they replaced it with the idea above, which is just, well, babytown frolics.
I agree. It also gives a little less freedom in how you want your city to look.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
A griefers-ridden city-building mumorpoger with always-on Internet connection. No thanks.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
The more and more I read about this game, the more and more I'm afraid. I've been waiting for a new Sim City for so long please, please don't let it become what I think it is, a simplified SimCity Societies.

And the online 24/7 thing is just pure bullsugar, Simcity was always one of those games I played when my internet went out, oh well, Sim City 4 is still solid in my opinion.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Always on? Bull! They want to force microtransactions. They have no plans to support mods either, even though the modding community is the only thing that kept the franchise alive all this time, and they don't like being forced online either. There better be an offline mode Or all my neighbors are geting coal plants and low income housing on their borders. Hopefully the pirates will fix in an offline mode since EA is too busy giving long time fans the finger. "hands are tied" my ass.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
i'm going to jump the gun, and say this game is going to be awful. sorry to be the hater, but EA hasn't given me any reasons in recent time to believe otherwise.

on a side note, i apologise for being so cynical

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
nikki191 said:
always on.. yep another one for me to skip.

hope its good for you guys who want it
It's the way of the future. Deal with it or get out.

TitsMcGee1804 said:
Needs origin, no thanks
That, however, is a deal breaker and should be one for anyone.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
But does it still require Origin? I could deal with always-on connection, so long as it doesn't require Origin. Otherwise, I'll continue avoiding it like the plague.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's a neat concept, but it also requires SimCity to have an always-on internet connection. EA seems prepared to throw up its hands and claim to be unable to resist the industry trend towards always on connections, especially for PC games.

NOEP. I guess I'm sticking with CitiesXL.

Which is sad, because this looks really good. ;_;

InevitableFate

May 10, 2009
Origin isn't as bad as people seem to make it out to be.

Sure, it's not as good as Steam, and it's a bit annoying having to use it, but I don't care so much that I'd skip on a game I want. I just don't run it unless I want to play ME3. Simples.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
^ Origins is EVERY bit as bad as people make it out to be. That's my experience of it for what it's worth, and if not for me genuinely enjoying me3 multi, i'd have uninstalled the useless garbage ages ago. Have tried a fair amount of dd services before this (steam, impulse, gog, d2d, oh yeh i've been around) and origins has been the absolute worst in every domain possible.

But I really came here to say sim city societies was not THAT bad...It just completely lacked challenge and was more the kinda game you'd offer a 5/6 yr old as their first game where they can just build a city without the usual difficulties associated to it in a sim city game, or any city building game for that matter.
Gave it to my niece, she loved it :p

Anyways looking forward to finally playing a new sim city, been so long that....ALWAYS ONLINE???
Eugh.... Well nevermind my enthusiasm then, guess won't be playing this after all. Shame :\

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
You do know that Origin is not the issue here, their are many games that use Origin but once the game has launched you can kill Origin and the game will still work. What is being proposed here is yet another always on line system that is NOT REQUIRED. Cities XL has already done the player to player on line trading non sense it just didn't work. In fact it didn't work so hard that they removed it from the most recent games.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
nikki191 said:
always on.. yep another one for me to skip.

hope its good for you guys who want it
This...

Not another cent from me until they drop that particular nonsense. If I want to play with other people, I'd invite people to my house. If I want invasive DRM, I would ask for it. I hope at some point developers do the math on the people who chose to not buy software due to DRM and always on internet.