E3 Preview: The Last of Us

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
This looks... Like exactly what I've been craving in a post apocalyptic game, interesting characters, tense scenarios and multiple options.

Jarlaxl

Oct 14, 2010
BlindChance said:
What's that? A vulnerable female character is kidnapped and threatened to motivate a grizzled male protagonist, and he will have to employ violent means to rescue her?

It's an original premise. I think there's some really profound discussions of normative gender roles and psychology to be mined out of it. I look forward to deep satire and reflection upon how our evolutionary origins clash with the nature of civilisation in a world where we're forced to come up with new social orders rather than simply rely on tradition. I'm sure that will all be in there.
I'm assuming that my sarcasm detectors are functional.

Every game doesn't need to invoke every discussion. Sometimes, relying on classic tropes/stereotypes is beneficial/necessary if your end goal is, well, delving into something that's *not* those topics. If they had tried to make a point of gender roles in this game, it would probably distract from everything else going on (survival, empathy when it's not in style, management of scarce resources, brutal slaughter over seemingly trivial physical goods, etc.).

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Jarlaxl said:
I'm assuming that my sarcasm detectors are functional.

Every game doesn't need to invoke every discussion. Sometimes, relying on classic tropes/stereotypes is beneficial/necessary if your end goal is, well, delving into something that's *not* those topics. If they had tried to make a point of gender roles in this game, it would probably distract from everything else going on (survival, empathy when it's not in style, management of scarce resources, brutal slaughter over seemingly trivial physical goods, etc.).
Yeah, I'm not asking them to subvert it or anything. I'm just a bit sick of its use. With them trying, clearly, to do a genuine mature job of storytelling, it's a shame that such a tired, sexist trope is in evidence. Complete with overtures of sexual danger, etc. It may well yet be a good game and even a good story, but it's putting me off it for the moment,