E3: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I already pre-purchased this on Steam, it was worth it to get Darksiders for free. But, this game looks fantastic in all honesty. I am looking forward to this, and this is the perfect property for this type of game. Can't wait.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Others have already said it, but this games system sounds like it was build around one of the other chapters.
Blood Angels, Space Wolves or Black Templars would all be a good fit.

But hey, its nice to see UltraSmurfs for once. It's not like they're ALWAYS crammed down our throats is it? No, no of course not.

Also, I have become somewhat less thrilled about this game after hearing it plays like Dynasty Warriors.
I mean, I love the odd bit of Dynasty Warriors, but come on, they suck. It's a guilty pleasure.
I was hoping this game would be aiming higher then that. Maybe the "Space Marine" should have been a give away...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ScumbagEddie said:
I'm still of the opinion that this game would have been better using Blood Angels Death Company or Dark Angel Deathwing. I do so hate the Ultramarines
Too many special rules associated with the Death Company. Deathwing are terminators, not ideal for a fast paced action game.

The Ultra's aren't my favourites either, but its a nice break from the Blood Ravens.

September 6 slated for release, good. Ample time to get that new video card I have been eying.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Well I love Dynasty Warriors so that isn't really a problem for me, although I would love some pretty epic set pieces I mean c'mon this is the 41st Millenium, there should be giant titans punching buildings and tyranids eating tanks while a Commissar orders a suicide charge against thousands of Orks.

Also, I think this is the first time I've ever seen a female guardsmen.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Heh, this reminds me of that old article about by that guy who thought GoW invented space marines. That had some funny comments.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I will buy it and play it for the good of the Imperium!

I've been tracking this game for 41,000 years and now that it's finally coming out, I feel all giddy inside.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Baresark said:
I already pre-purchased this on Steam, it was worth it to get Darksiders for free. But, this game looks fantastic in all honesty. I am looking forward to this, and this is the perfect property for this type of game. Can't wait.
I'm getting this for PC.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
The more I see of this game the more I can't freaking wait to get my hands on it, because I love me some 40K something fierce. Incidentally that reminds me, I need to go pick up my copy of the latest Space Marine Battles novel, Battle of the Fang, as it has apparently arrived today at my local bookstore - yay Space Wolves!

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
Why does the escapist keep saying this is not a Gears clone?
I think anyone with half a brain could figure that out by now don't you think?

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Do want.
And i really do hope it won't be just boring ork (and chaos)-killing over and over again. But either way, I'll be playing it, most likely.
Cause Warhammer 40k is just that awesome.

obliviondoll

May 27, 2010
Pretty sure saying Space Marine is like Gears of War is just repeating the Infamous/Prototype debate - Totally different games, with enough similarity in the premise that nobody's going to let it go. Also, "Gears of Warhammer" is just too easy a line for most websites to pass up, even when it doesn't fit.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
It looks pretty awesome. I've always enjoyed the Warhammer 40K universe, although I would have preffered playing as the Black Templars or the Imperial Fists.

Looking forward to it.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Isn't Space Marine meant to be an Open World game? Weird.

Either way looks and sounds great, September, October, and November will be the death of my wallet :(

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
The comparison to Gear of war is so annoying!

Are the CoGs even once referenced as space marines in the game?

One game is a cover based shooter, the other is a straight up in your face brawler.

One game has a color palette solidly fixated in the brown spectrum, while the other has you sporting a blue armor and fighting green colored enemies.

The game don't look at all the same in game play, aesthetic and lore.

And that's before you take into account the fact that the 40k IP has been around since 1981... at least 10 years longer then Gear of War.

So what gives? Why are people making the comparaison? Because both side use 'chainsaw' based weapon? Is that the only thing needed to be called a GoW clone now?

ScumbagEddie said:
I'm still of the opinion that this game would have been better using Blood Angels Death Company or Dark Angel Deathwing. I do so hate the Ultramarines
Several place give you new skin if you pre-order it... there's Blood Raven, Black Templar, Space Wolve and even 2 chaos legion: Emperor's Children and Iron Warriors.

Also a game with the Blood Angel Company would suck if you tried to tell any kind of story with it...

DC Member 1: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR SMASH!
DC Membmer 2: BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!
DC Member 3: Rawr?

cke

Jun 20, 2010
My first thought
Warhammer 40,000:Fat Space Marine

But then I thought this might be good.

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Anyone who's going to wander in and point out that it looks remarkably like Gears of War (complete with the chainsaw) and thus must be a rip-off, a friendly advice to you: don't.
It's funny how, in that link, the part of the article where he apologizes and clarifies for the angry 40k fans, is maybe more than twice as long as the actual article

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Anyone who's going to wander in and point out that it looks remarkably like Gears of War (complete with the chainsaw) and thus must be a rip-off, a friendly advice to you: don't.
Man, I fucking love that article, not because of the article's content mind you, but because of how fans descended like a righteous hammer of justice down upon it. It was absolutely delicious.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
My god man you did not just mention Dynasty Warriors :S
Guess I'll be observing this from afar, the concept sound awesome but this is their first attempt at this sort of game and it wouldn't surprise me if it comes up short.