E3: Witcher 2 Xbox 360

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Sober Thal said:
lithium.jelly said:
Ohhh, I thought you were talking about the first Witcher game. Yeah, the minimum system requirements for TW2 really mean you can just about scrape by if you turn everything down to minimum and are willing to put up with the game looking like ass. Your single-core CPU probably didn't help, you need multiple cores even if your clock speed was higher. TW1 should run fine on your system though.
I hope you find the 360 version to your liking - it really is a good game if you can overlook it's couple of quirks and the punishing difficulty when you start out.
I was not clear... I was talking about the first Witcher game, I can't really run it, so there is no way in hell I can come close to running the new one. Even with all settings on low, the first Witcher game runs like ass.

I have 2 GB ram, Windows XP, GeForce 9600 GSO (up to date drivers), Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, and the game (the first Witcher) runs horribly : (
That's odd - your system specs are slightly better than the one I used to run The Witcher on, and it ran fine for me. :-/
Good luck with the 360 version of TW2 - it's a great game.

[sub]I like your avatar, BTW - Macross was one of my first anime and I still enjoy it today.[/sub]

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
teebeeohh said:
so the witcher will be the exception to the rule of things being dumbed down for consoles. wow.
I like how they "dumb" down games to run for us console owners. We plug in the game and it runs, no need for multiple settings or checking requirements. It WILL work. The developers have to cater to US.

If you own a PC on the other hand, they make the game and the PC OWNER has to make sure they can meet the requirements to play it or tough luck play it on minimum or not at all.

That is why I LOVE CONSOLES!!!

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the_green_dragon said:
teebeeohh said:
so the witcher will be the exception to the rule of things being dumbed down for consoles. wow.
I like how they "dumb" down games to run for us console owners. We plug in the game and it runs, no need for multiple settings or checking requirements. It WILL work. The developers have to cater to US.

If you own a PC on the other hand, they make the game and the PC OWNER has to make sure they can meet the requirements to play it or tough luck play it on minimum or not at all.

I am not even gonna justify this with a proper response.
just one thing: sure they have to cater to you, that's why i get to mod my games and get maps for free.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
teebeeohh said:
the_green_dragon said:
teebeeohh said:

just one thing: sure they have to cater to you, that's why i get to mod my games and get maps for free.
Mods? or HACKZ? Another reason I love my Xbox, hackers on xbox360 are fewer then on PC. Also who says we're not going to get witcher 2 maps for Free?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the_green_dragon said:
teebeeohh said:
the_green_dragon said:
teebeeohh said:

Mods? or HACKZ? Another reason I love my Xbox, hackers on xbox360 are fewer then on PC. Also who says we're not going to get witcher 2 maps for Free?
mods. You know those things that modify stuff that the developers may not have had time to completely nail down. Those things that make the TES games truly worth playing. That turn a simulation of medieval warfare into middle earth.
That kinda thing. And yes, you are getting TW2 DLC for free but only because it's already on the disc, remember how TF2 sucks on xbox because MS does not allow developers to give stuff away for free?
When i said maps i meant that if we would all be playing shooters on PCs nobody would pay 15? for 5 maps in BLOPS.

DJTruthsayer

Mar 24, 2011
well this is brilliant. just as ive decided that i wont buy a replacement xbox 360 for the onw that died on me last year and then this happens - simple maths - pc = lots, 360 - quite cheap.. i may have to get one just for this...

Sacul

Sep 27, 2009
the_green_dragon said:
teebeeohh said:
the_green_dragon said:
teebeeohh said:

Probably because it's an rpg and it won't have new maps? At best it will have new quests, we probably won't see new areas until an expansion which won't be free. He was talking about the hundreds of mods for Bethesda games that can completely change it. He was talking about the hundreds of free downloadable maps for games like Counter Strike. Also, hackers? *Player has been banned. Reason: Hacking.* What hackers? Admins just ban hackers on our dedicated servers. :p

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
Cadaurny said:
Probably because it's an rpg and it won't have new maps? At best it will have new quests, we probably won't see new areas until an expansion which won't be free. He was talking about the hundreds of mods for Bethesda games that can completely change it. He was talking about the hundreds of free downloadable maps for games like Counter Strike. Also, hackers? *Player has been banned. Reason: Hacking.* What hackers? Admins just ban hackers on our dedicated servers. :p
yeah, I suppose you have a good point there. But I still like the developers catering for me rather then the other way round.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
teebeeohh said:
mods. You know those things that modify stuff that the developers may not have had time to completely nail down. Those things that make the TES games truly worth playing. That turn a simulation of medieval warfare into middle earth.
That kinda thing. And yes, you are getting TW2 DLC for free but only because it's already on the disc, remember how TF2 sucks on xbox because MS does not allow developers to give stuff away for free?
When i said maps i meant that if we would all be playing shooters on PCs nobody would pay 15? for 5 maps in BLOPS.
yer you have a point but my original point still stands.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the_green_dragon said:
teebeeohh said:
yer you have a point but my original point still stands.
except that modern consoles require you to install games and download patches, just like PC games. Your original point indicates that you don't know much about PC gaming since the whole "will this run on my computer" thing is not really an issue, if you really care about graphics you have to upgrade frequently but if this is not important to you upgrading your PC is not that important. Thanks to console-centric development that is.

Sacul

Sep 27, 2009
the_green_dragon said:
Cadaurny said:
yeah, I suppose you have a good point there. But I still like the developers catering for me rather then the other way round.
You might not be able to always max it on PC but if you have a half decent computer most modern games will always look better then on a console. And to be honest? I never look for the requirements. I upgraded my computer a year ago with parts that were already a year or two old and I can run pretty much every game I've played on at least medium settings at a high resolution.

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
teebeeohh said:
except that modern consoles require you to install games and download patches, just like PC games. Your original point indicates that you don't know much about PC gaming since the whole "will this run on my computer" thing is not really an issue, if you really care about graphics you have to upgrade frequently but if this is not important to you upgrading your PC is not that important. Thanks to console-centric development that is.
Install games are optional, they make them load faster but you don't HAVE to do it, not that it matters. Our patches are also tiny, like 10 mb, and not even that often.

Cadaurny said:
You might not be able to always max it on PC but if you have a half decent computer most modern games will always look better then on a console. And to be honest? I never look for the requirements. I upgraded my computer a year ago with parts that were already a year or two old and I can run pretty much every game I've played on at least medium settings at a high resolution.
Will this run on my computer? Yeah, thats a big point of contention with the newer games, look at some of the older posts, people can't even run witcher 1, let alone witcher 2. If I bought a new computer the same time I bought my xbox 360, my computer would have very little chance of running witcher 2. Xbox launched in 2001 EDIT Xbox360 launched 2005, 9 years ago (6 years ago for Xbox360). If you want to tell me a 9 (EDIT or even a 6 year old) year old computer will run witcher 2 or crysis 2 then my arguements are flawed.

I'm not saying PCs are bad or anything, I would love a brand new gaming rig, but I can't afford one and so 360 is better in my opinion.

EDIT: Xbox came out in 2001, Xbox360 was 2005, that is still 6 years ago.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the_green_dragon said:
Will this run on my computer? Yeah, thats a big point of contention with the newer games, look at some of the older posts, people can't even run witcher 1, let alone witcher 2. If I bought a new computer the same time I bought my xbox 360, my computer would have very little chance of running witcher 2. Xbox launched in 2001, 9 years ago. If you want to tell me a 9 year old computer will run witcher 2 or crysis 2 then my arguements are flawed.

I'm not saying PCs are bad or anything, I would love a brand new gaming rig, but I can't afford one and so 360 is better in my opinion.
your argument is flawed because an xbox bought in 2001 would not run crysis 2. or any 360 game for that matter

the_green_dragon

Nov 18, 2009
teebeeohh said:
the_green_dragon said:
Will this run on my computer? Yeah, thats a big point of contention with the newer games, look at some of the older posts, people can't even run witcher 1, let alone witcher 2. If I bought a new computer the same time I bought my xbox 360, my computer would have very little chance of running witcher 2. Xbox launched in 2001, 9 years ago. If you want to tell me a 9 year old computer will run witcher 2 or crysis 2 then my arguements are flawed.

your argument is flawed because an xbox bought in 2001 would not run crysis 2. or any 360 game for that matter
You're right. Normal Xbox was 2001, Xbox360 was 2005. Thats still 6 years ago. My bad.

Still, I think a 6 year old comptuer would seriously struggle to run anything these days.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Eclpsedragon said:
Would have preferred White Wolf first, I have this horrible habit where I need to play the first title in a series before I play the sequel.

Does anybody know if you have to play the original to understand this game?

In general, the game is a self contained with a ?sequel coming? end. But it?s a little more complicate. If you play the first game you will understanding more but to truly catch everything you also have to read the Sapkowski?s books. In fact, the Witcher 2 make more references to the books than to the first game.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Sober Thal said:
I bought The Witcher game on STEAM. I didn't like it enough to play past the starting castle. I beat the initial enemies, but when it opened up to petty fetch quests, I lost all interest.

I really hope the sequel is better. My PC can't run it, so it's 360 or bust for this one.

So far, the reviews aren't favoring it to my liking. Fans of the original love it regardless of its flaws, but those who didn't love the original haven't been moved that much. I hope the 360 gets a demo first. I really want to like this game : (
I didn't like the first because it became incredible boring in act 2.5(the farm act), Witcher 2 on the other hand is a might stead showing how a proper RPG should be done. (Witcher 2 still doesn't come even close to Baldurs Gate 2).

OT:
This is how the world should be PC first consoles second, as a PC gamer this can only please me.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Ghengis John said:
Did the witcher 2 have any save interaction with the witcher one and if so how will they handle that?
Yes it did, you could import your end of game saves from the original game and have certain decisions you made carry over, much like how Mass Effect 2 handled it. By that I mean that whatever you did in The Witcher, the sequel is still going to play out pretty much the same (the real differences between one play-through to the next spring from the choices you make within the sequel itself), but the game will make reference to things you've done or otherwise adjust itself to things like Adda being alive or dead. You also get an imported version of whatever swords you ended the game with that are a bit better than your starting equipment, an imported set of Raven's Armor that is quite a bit better than your starting gear (and if you upgrade it, you can get through the bulk of the entire first chapter before encountering or otherwise having the option to make a better suit), and a whole bunch of crafting materials, weapon oils, and runes. Also a stack of whetstones, a temporary +20% damage item you can apply to your swords that (as far as I could tell) doesn't exist in the game otherwise, and a percentage of your ending amount of gold.

As for how they'll handle that on the 360, I would imagine exactly like they do for anyone playing The Witcher 2 on PC who doesn't have a save handy to import - the new game button. None of the stuff you get for importing is crucial in any way, just nice to have, and while the decisions that carry over are neat and can (to a limited extent) actually come back to bite you or reward you (like running into the Order of the Flaming Rose or unlimited credit thanks to helping out Vivaldi in Vizima), if you haven't played the original game as many prospective console players won't have, you're not really going to notice that the designers picked a "default" possibility when you selected "New Game". If you had played the original, well it's entirely possible that your game matched those default decisions anyway.

For all that it makes frequent references back to events in the first game and things from the novels, the story itself is self-contained so not having the ability to import your saves from The Witcher shouldn't be a deal breaker.

HaMSt3rBoT

Apr 2, 2010
People raging about exclusive going cross-platform, just THIS.

Things NEVER said on the internet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MardGP3vN6U

Sarge: "You know that video-game that's exclusive to the video-game console you play? I just read they're making a version for the video-game console that I play!"

Church: "Wow, tha...ah, man. That is a relief. I was getting really tired of telling people, with other consoles, how great this game was. Man I'm so glad you guys are gonna have a chance to enjoy it too. And I'll tell you another thing, I'm gonna be really excited to see the differences in the two versions"

Oh, and as Caboose requested...
"Copy's right
Caboses' awesome movies.internet
visit me!"

Sure PC's are irrefutably stronger than consoles, sure they have more mobility with the control scheme, but HOT DAYUMN are gaming PC's not NEARLY as accessible as the consoles, they're bloody expensive! Consoles are there to fill that gap, and that they do with force and a nice leisure factor that computers can't really match lest you're using a gamepad!

If it weren't for consoles, computer gaming would have become even more expensive, MORE exclusive and more elite, updates would be required more regularly to play the latest installation of "Sowall-y McChesthigh's FPS bonanza", we would have neglected to get irate so Duke Nukem Forever would finally be developed (doesn't look like it's going to be very sharp, though), and the term "GAMER" would be an ENTIRELY derogatory term.

Let everyone get a slice of that gaming pie, hoes! This would be even better with cross platform CO-OP multiplay, more buddies to jam with!
And only co-op tho, since I know the obvious inherent issues with competitive gameplay, cept racing. And fighting. And puzzle games. And platformers (Think about it, something like a multiplay Trine would work nicely!).

And BWHOASHIT I play computer-only myself!
And Witcher 2... Eeeez nice.