EA Aims to "Broaden" Dead Space Audience

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
=

Doesn't really bother me though, dead space was never remotely scary to begin with. If they hadn't started out by just remaking Resident Evil in space, the series might have had a chance overall, but they did and it didn't.

Given how it's gone so far, the next dead space will probably play out something like operation raccoon city, a bunch of random jerks from earthgov running around in dead space 2 shooting everyone, including the main characters.

Sep 14, 2009
MrMan999 said:
"Appeal to a A Broader audience"
Oh for christ's sake EA. Did you not learn what happened the last time you tried that? Did you not learn anything from MAss Effect and Dragon Age 2?
agreed, i'm glad i don't like dead space, but i still feel for it's fans.

then, later on, they'll be able to say "look, we didn't meet that ludicrous goal we set forth, it must be pirates and used games!" or some other complete and total bullshit.

fucking stupid EA, as much as I feel for the fans of it, I hope this shit tanks fucking hard like a shovel to the face for EA, so they might actually wake up and realize how stupidly mental they are when it comes to marketing/PR and overall enjoyment of gaming.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
So, EA already turned what was essentially Resident Evil 4 in space into Resident Evil 5 in space and now they're trying to turn it into Gears of War/Lost Planet... in space... and expect to sell 5 million units from it.

I can't say how damned insane this is.

I liked the first game a lot, but I wasn't interested on the second game and I'm definitely not interested in the third game.

I'm already calling it. RIP Dead Space. We hardly knew ye.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
"broaden" = dumb down, right?
Have you noticed how many games published, directly or indirectly, by EA fail because they do "good, but not spectacular"?
They're adding co-op (online only, no locals allowed, you filthy peasants!), you're gonna be fighting humans, and...oh yes...cover-based shooting.
And they have the sheer audacity to just assume a sales figure of 5 million at the bare minimum.
When they realize that there aren't 5 million people willing to shovel out fistfuls of money to EA for a sub-par, 6-hour long campaign (plus multiplayer, because that's what REALLY matters, right?) They're going to blame pirates, used games, and steam sales instead of blaming themselves for turning a good, but not spectacular (see what I did there?) game into a mediocre-at-best shootyfest.
I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the limb-cutting mechanic entirely, and just made it into "shoot everything forever until it stops moving"

TL;DR: Dead Space 3: The death of a franchise

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i kinda noticed this with the E3 trailer, they set up the necromorphs so that issac has an advantage with his mining equipment since necromorphs need to be dismembered but in DS3 they give you a straight up marine as a partner who will most likely use normal guns.
well, at least we know what happens to the EA marketing department after the revolution

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Jesus Christ. I used to think EA were deliberately being evil, but now...it seems they actually can't help it. They're just that stupid. As much as I don't want to see a well-loved franchise sink (although I'm not a fan myself), I kind of hope it does, just to teach those greedy bastards a lesson.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Five million?

Five million? FIVE MILLION!??!?!?!

...What? Where the fuck is all this money going? How do you even spend 5 million on a game that has all the basics already set up, thanks to previous entries in the series? (By that I mean the engine, style, gameplay feel, whatever.) I realize game development costs a lot but it's not like they're building a completely new engine and rolling 5 Elder Scrolls games worth of content into one game.

Of course, I already know the answer to my question; that imaginary money (because DS3 will NOT sell 5 million new copies in the first year, I reckon) is going to go toward advertising. Ugh.
EA historically spends far more on advertisement than they actually do on game development except in cases where they don't even bother to advertise for a game. I get that they need to advertise somehow, but spendin double the budget for the game on ads is just idiotic.

Edit - Whelp Dead Space. We enjoyed our time together while we had it (except your fuck awful pc port). May you find some sort of peace in whatever dark pit EA leaves you in when you inevitably don't reach their completely arbitrary sales requirement.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Come on guys, remember those whole "Your Mom Will Hate It" commercials for Dead Space 2. That was GENIUS EA can only go up up up and Dead Space WILL sell those 5 million units it apparently so desperately needs

...I'm not gonna lie, my brain snapped halfway through that speech. I'm being sarcastic, right?

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I'm so glad the games I like haven't been stained with EA's filth. Why, I'm so elated that I won't be buying Dead Space 3/Gears of Lost Planet: The Reckoning, I just might throw some money at Blizzard. But probably not!

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Well, I can sympathize with EA here in wanting a bigger community of players attached to an IP. Having a bigger community means there are potential sales of the game attached to that IP and, if the game is good, word of mouth could help make the game sell even more.

That said--the approach of getting a bigger community involves *sticking* to an IP and *reducing* the price of these games to make more people consider picking it up. I'm not a fan of the "Dead Space" series but when you start adapting elements of "Gears of War" or "Army of Two" in your game, you tend to discriminate what the IP originally was. Its like if the developers of "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" decided to make the sequel an MMORPG where you can grind on monsters by hiding at obvious shadows to level up your "sanity" so you can hide from bigger monsters at more narrow shadows. Top that off with a $60+ price tag, and extra considering the price of DLC, and you still have people like me that would pass it over.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Well, so much for horror.
I don't like Dead Space at all, but this is piss. Nice damage control EA.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Oh, Ea when will you learn.
This is like Dragon Age all over again. The First game sold very well and you wanted to make it more accessible and your marketing "geniuses" announced that the game will sale double the amount of Origins.
And it sold HALF.
So learn from your mistakes damnit!