EA: "Battlefield 3 is designed to take Call of Duty down."

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/battlefield-3-to-take-down-call-of-duty-with-over-100-million-in-marketing/

And with over $100 million in marketing, I think they could at least come close to getting COD.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Well, you have to admire EA's persistance at least. If at first you don't succeed try again and again until the sun explodes. I'm sure they'll learn eventually.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010

Isnt that what they said with the Medal of Honor reboot?

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Axolotl said:
Well, you have to admire EA's persistance at least. If at first you don't succeed try again and again until the sun explodes. I'm sure they'll learn eventually.
you think? this IS EA we're talking about. so... yay, another realistic military shoot. cause we don't have enough of those yet.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
At least they're trying to improve to keep pace with Activision, meanwhile at Activision: "Do we use the CoD brand cocaine-straws or the CoD brand caviare shovels?"

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
The twitch gameplay of Call of Duty has and probably always will be more popular that Battlefield's more tactical gameplay (I use 'tactical' thinly). People just like to shoot other people without worrying about weapons/vehicles they can't go up against and buildings that can come down on them.

Fenreil

Mar 14, 2010
In sales? Almost definitely not.

In terms of quality? They've got that in the fucking bag.

Rnr1224

Mar 21, 2011
i personally believe it will be a better game than the current cod (cant judge the inevitable upcoming one) but i dont think itll get people to stop saying things like "OMG COD FTW 4EVERRR!!"

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Does this mean it'll be a consolised piece of shit with killstreaks and 6v6 tiny maps?

This seems to be the ideal for games supposed to "beat" COD.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Floppertje said:
Axolotl said:
you think? this IS EA we're talking about. so... yay, another realistic military shoot. cause we don't have enough of those yet.
Battlefield games rarely tend to be realistc ;)

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
a couple 100 million $ in marketing?

Couldn't they have made an even better game with that money?

EA should be bitchslapped these days!

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
Floppertje said:
Axolotl said:
Did you play Bad Company 2? It has loads of tactical elements and focus on team actions such as healing/reviving, repairing vehicles and supplying ammunition. Sure, it's not as unrealistic as TF2- but few things are.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
gigastar said:
And Battlefield Bad Company 2 and I'm sure several other games.

The key point they're missing is that you can't beat a franchise by copying it. CoD didn't take the FPS crown from another modern day FPS it took it from Halo, the main reason people loved CoD4 (apart from the tight gameplay and very well-done story) was because it WASN'T the same as previous big FPS series, it wasn't WW2 and it wasn't in space this made it fresh. None of the Halo clones ever came close to beating Halo and no FPS set in the modern day will beat CoD.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
Axolotl said:
gigastar said:
And Battlefield Bad Company 2 and I'm sure several other games.

The key point they're missing is that you can't beat a franchise by copying it. CoD didn't take the FPS crown from another modern day FPS it took it from Halo, the main reason people loved CoD4 (apart from the tight gameplay and very well-done story) was because it WASN'T the same as previous big FPS series, it wasn't WW2 and it wasn't in space this made it fresh. None of the Halo clones ever came close to beating Halo and no FPS set in the modern day will beat CoD.
But while CoD have been fast paced shooters, where your prowess is almost solely depending on aim and reflex, the Battlefield series are about big open maps with varied terrain and structures including vehicles, with squad/team based combat. In my opinion it's almost as stupid to compare the two as comparing CoD to Halo.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
HankMan said:
The only thing EA ever took down was Pandemic
Don't forget Westwood Studios, man. :'(

OT:
baddude1337 said:
The twitch gameplay of Call of Duty has and probably always will be more popular that Battlefield's more tactical gameplay (I use 'tactical' thinly). People just like to shoot other people without worrying about weapons/vehicles they can't go up against and buildings that can come down on them.
I say Battlefield should just embrace what it is, and become BIGGER. Make it more tactical (Or, actually tactical; your choice). I mean they have that superb squad tactics system. It would be a right shame if it went back to mindless twitch shooting now, a la CoD.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
So another 100 million on "Your mom hates videogames" then? Even with that kind of marketing I'll doubt Battlefield 3 will come anywhere close to Call of Duty's fantasy sales. It might scratch 10 million but when expecting Modern Warfare 3, a PC-oriented back-to-basics semi-realistic sandbox shooter won't do much more then make PC gamers rejoice in fanboy squeals.