EA: "Battlefield 3 is designed to take Call of Duty down."

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
..... Yeah, good luck with that.

To use the same franchise as a few posts up, I shall say : "May the Force be With You."

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
The Hairminator said:
Axolotl said:
gigastar said:
Isnt that what they said with the Medal of Honor reboot?
And Battlefield Bad Company 2 and I'm sure several other games.

The key point they're missing is that you can't beat a franchise by copying it. CoD didn't take the FPS crown from another modern day FPS it took it from Halo, the main reason people loved CoD4 (apart from the tight gameplay and very well-done story) was because it WASN'T the same as previous big FPS series, it wasn't WW2 and it wasn't in space this made it fresh. None of the Halo clones ever came close to beating Halo and no FPS set in the modern day will beat CoD.
But while CoD have been fast paced shooters, where your prowess is almost solely depending on aim and reflex, the Battlefield series are about big open maps with varied terrain and structures including vehicles, with squad/team based combat. In my opinion it's almost as stupid to compare the two as comparing CoD to Halo.
Why not? EA has obviously been compareing them and I'm sure the developers have been as well.A difference in design philosophy and structure doesn't stop you from being able to compare games.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
Axolotl said:
Why not? EA has obviously been compareing them and I'm sure the developers have been as well.A difference in design philosophy and structure doesn't stop you from being able to compare games.
Obviously they will compete in terms of sales, as they would have roughly the same target audience.

I was talking about comparing them as games in their individual genres.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
The Hairminator said:
I was talking about comparing them as games in their individual genres.
Oh right, in that case I agree. Although given EA's wording of this I think it's likely that when Battlefield 3 is released we'll have hordes of people complaining about it being dumbed down into a CoD clone.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Axolotl said:
Well, you have to admire EA's persistance at least. If at first you don't succeed try again and again until the sun explodes. I'm sure they'll learn eventually.
If they fan get those graphics onto a console, it will...=O

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
*sigh* This is going to be another Battlefield game rushed out before its in any state to actually play, isn't it?

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I seem to recall them saying that about Medal of Honor and look how terrible that turned out.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
gigastar said:

Isnt that what they said with the Medal of Honor reboot?
Battlefield is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Medal of Honour

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
HankMan said:
The only thing EA ever took down was Pandemic
*still bitter*
Y U NO RELEASE BATTLEFRONT 3?!
Fuck you EA...

I have high hopes for Battlefield 3. Do me a favour though, keep COD's playerbase the fuck away. Please.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Pffft! You kids with your BFs and CoDs.

Real men play ArmA 2. :p

<youtube=khG8pVEmzO4>

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I'd say that bf3 will be the better game, even the much older bf2 is better than any of the recent COD games but COD has a huge fan base and it will take quite a while to get them to move away from it. So I don't think bf3 will sell better then the next COD but it will definitely be better then COD, which isn't all that hard since COD hasn't changed at all in the last few years.

KILGAZOR

Magnificent Retard
Dec 27, 2010
FutureJarhead16 said:
gibboss28 said:
*sigh* This is going to be another Battlefield game rushed out before its in any state to actually play, isn't it?
Umm...I've played all the battlefields, which one was so bad again?
Bad Company 2. A buggy, rushed out, consolized version of Battlefield 2, the only thing making it better than its predecessors was it's destructo-environments. We're hoping Battlefield 3 won't be like that. I'm definitely not risking my money preordering it, though.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
We don't know anything about Modern Warfare 3 yet. Sledgehammer Studios claim they're aiming for a metacritic score of 95 or higher. So, let's see MW3 before jumping to conclusions.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
Saucycardog said:
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/battlefield-3-to-take-down-call-of-duty-with-over-100-million-in-marketing/

And with over $100 million in marketing, I think they could at least come close to getting COD.
I guess they could have spent 1% of that sum on maintaining their servers, and upgrading their stats-verse backend.

But sure. 100 million on advertisement surely is a much better solution.