EA Brings Back its Harsh Beta EULA

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
This's just weird, it's like the lawyer who wrote it knew he was about to be let go and decided to mess with everyone through the EULA while everyone else in the EULA process thought it would be fun to allow it through.

Grey Carter said:
In fact, there's no real way for EA to track bug encounters.
You know those "would you like to send Microsoft a bug report?" popups that Windows shows you when something happens that shocks it, like a game crashing or vista doing a regular boot up after a driver update? Imagine if Origin had that but if you say cancel it sends a blank one anyway to EA which because it's sent through Origin and connected to that user account, they'd enough for what EULA says they'll do.

I'd say that's too bullshit even for them but negative PR never seems to be something they're overly concerned about.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Nurb said:
EA's new slogan... "EA: Are you pirating us yet?"

Seriously, I don't see why people willingly pay them money when they do nothing but demonstrate they shouldn't exist as a gaming company.
EA are a troll company

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
So this is what evil looks like. EA, it's like you're not even trying to hide it anymore.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Grey Carter said:
"It is your responsibility to report all known bugs, abuse of 'bugs', 'undocumented features' or other defects and problems related to the Game and Beta Software to EA as soon as they are found ('Bugs')."

Okay "undocumented features" made me laugh, but then things get a little sinister.
I somewhat imagine they have in mind things like SimCopter's "kissing men" easter egg. It wasn't a bug, but they sure hadn't known about it when they brought it to market.

There was a time, believe it or not, when being a beta tester was considered a job. An awful job, the kind of job that survivors discuss in traumatized whispers, [http://trenchescomic.com/] but a job nonetheless. Now, thanks to the profound effects of hype and brand loyalty, developers have effectively tricked the great unhosed into doing that job for them. Even better, they've convinced us it's a privilege to do so. And what's a testing job without a terrifying amount of red tape?
Beta Tester: So what kind of pay to I receive for this job?

EA: Oh, the standard- two to five harsh beatings a day...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
What they're TRYING to do is instill the point that not reporting bugs for purposes of abuse is bad and will get you banned. A harsh but understandable objective.

Their method of doing so is pure comedy gold, though.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
GoldenShadow said:
Its just Sim City, who cares if you cheat. It probably has built in cheat codes too.
I have to agree. I know the game is online and all, but really, the idea of being banned for 'exploiting' in Sim City is just so hilarious to my mind. Seriously, if hacking COD and LOL is the murder one of gaming, exploiting a Sim City bug is goddamn jaywalking.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Locking someone out of ALL EA products does seem extreme, but other than that it sounds fair.

Why should they let you play their game for free before it's released if you aren't going to help them make it better? That's what beta testing is for, testing bugs and reporting them so they can be fixed.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Tar Palantir said:
Is is even legal to ban you from all your PAID games for that??? If I were testing SimCity (for free, remember), I'd just disinstall and find something better to do with my time. In fact every one of them should quit until the EULA is modified.....now try to beta test your product on your own, idiots.
No it isn't in most countries, which is why as noted the phrase has been in the BF3 beta. but was never used. The law wouldn't accept theft as legal.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
sid said:
Is EA's PR team legitimately masochistic?
That would have come out of legal, not PR. I'm sure PR is slowly deciding how best to cut themselves as we speak.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
im always amazed how they keep them selfs alive. why dont they change their slogan to
"?A: do you hate us already?"

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Metalrocks said:
im always amazed how they keep them selfs alive. why dont they change their slogan to
I thought that's what "EA GAMES; Challenge everything" mend!

OT: It's getting really really hard to take anything EA does seriously at this point.
I mean, they must know how people feel about them, right?

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
That's a shame. I wish there was a devils advocate approach I could take but... I don't see this as anymore then a company not willing to pay for more of the professional bug busting they do before beta versions. Seriously though why does EA punish their loyal customers again and again? At this point their older games like Sims 2 and Sim City 4 are more appealing then their nickle and dimeing successors which will all eventually require Origins and a EULA that lets them steal from you the products you bought if you in anyway piss off EA.

Ranorak said:
Metalrocks said:

OT: It's getting really really hard to take anything EA does seriously at this point.
"EA: fucking our fans professionally."

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Ranorak said:
Metalrocks said:

i think they know. and i think they want to be hated or enjoy being hated. thats why they use other companies to do their dirty work because they know that people will more likely buy it.
look at BF games. BF4 will be a huge success. i still enjoy BF3.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
"Oh the scandal is over lets sneak that part we were forced to remove in again, noone would notice right?"
The perfect plan from EA.

And yet another reason for me to buy no games from EA. yay?
I mean what if i found a bug by accident, didnt notice it and jsut kept on playing normally? i would get banned? yay?

Also, there were 4 EA related news in couple hours. whats gonig on, EA PR is on rampage again?

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Skim read this thread, not surprised to see the usual anti-EA knee-jerking going on.

Seriously people... its not really that hard to grasp. They've included a worst-case scenario for worst-case offenders so they have a legal stance to fall back on. When you consider how tied to online the new Sim City is, the last thing they want is a beta tester finding an exploit that allows them to ruin the game (particularly for other players) and deliberately not tell EA about it to fix it (ie, the job you're supposed to be doing).

This isn't some clause to have a go at people who forget to submit a report, or decline to refile a bug already filed. Its simply their to cover themselves and to serve as a reminder to the testers.