EA Brings Back its Harsh Beta EULA

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
GoldenShadow said:
Its just Sim City, who cares if you cheat. It probably has built in cheat codes too.
The only build in cheat codes that still exist come in the form of on-disc DLC

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I don't know. Can we play this just yet.

I mean I am expecting devil horns to pop out on their logo any moment now.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Why does a game company have that kind of control in the first place?

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Well I see the stick, now where's the carrot?

I understand that since beta testers aren't being paid you need an incentive to get them to do the work, but I think they should be told 'you catch more flies with honey than vinegar'. So instead of threats for failing to report bugs, why not rewards for reporting them?

thejarofdirt882

May 2, 2012
EA just love shooting themselves in the foot don't they?

I've pretty much avoided EA where I can and I've avoided Origin altogether. But SimCty had me wanting it despite these things and I was willing to have a go at the beta and see what I could find... not anymore...

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Valok said:

Oh EA, you never ceases to amuse me.
The way I see it, I always win! Either game developers do a good job and I get good games, or game developers create comedy gold.
Vault101 said:
say...anyone remember a bugs life? no one seems too
In an odd coincidence[footnote]OR IS IT[/footnote] I was playing D&D with some friends of mine yesterday and a bugs life came up.

Life's funny that way sometimes.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
I can't wait for the day where they will modify Origins EULA to prohibit origin users to have any other kind of digital distribution plataform installed in theie computer too.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I haven't bought an EA product in well over 5 years. This certainly won't change things.

Mar 30, 2010
ritchards said:
Now... imagine a Bethesda game EULA having this clause...
*shudder*

OT: So EA basically get you to do it's job for it - even though you're paying them to do it - and then hit you with heavy sanctions if you carry out this unpaid work to a less than exact standard, even though you've had no formal training?

Sounds like Self-Assessment tax law to me.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
It's been almost exactly 2 years since the last time I bought an EA game. They never stop demonstrating that they don't deserve my money.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
ritchards said:
Now... imagine a Bethesda game EULA having this clause...
That would require Bathesda to bug test their games first ... badum tish (I love their games but by christ do they have some bugs in them).

On Topic....

Bugémon ... gotta catch em all.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Carnagath said:
That's nothing, I hear that in the future version of the EULA, EA reserves to right to track you down and murder your family if you don't playtest at least 10 hours a day.
Well, the ironic thing is that it's an increasingly common practice with online games (which is almost everything nowadays) to limit the testing to very specific times. It's been this way for years, but I *DO* remember when things were done a bit differantly since I've done a lot of Alpha and Beta tests.

Being disabled I have a lot of time on my hands, and can in theory play almost any time, but it also means I get tapped to do a lot of things IRL by friends and family since I'm not working or anything. Nowadays you typically get a notification, the same day as the test (or at an awkward time the day before) notifying you when they are turning the servers on, typically a time that cooresponds to the late afternoon or evening which are prime hours when people are going to have responsibilities (but to be fair would also likely be home from school or work). As a result it seems testing tends to be at a relative trickle, and to be fair it DOES seem like those who are dedicated to showing up during those times are those who are so dedicated to the game that they want to do beta to learn exploits. In many cases it seems like the motivation for beta is to get a leg up in learning how to exploit the system for the purposes of making RL money. Remember reports from ToR about people jumping ahead to higher level planets and looting chests to make huge gobs of money and doing it non-stop (combined with Chinese Credit Farmers being there from like day #1).

At any rate I don't blame EA for being increasingly paranoid about this, however I think the best solution is a combination of making alphas and betas more accessible to testers which will probably amount to more of them putting in more hours, and leading to more reports. That and I think they need to be more assertive about who they let into the game, and perhaps have some of their coders and GMs actually observe the player base.

I've also kind of felt that a policy for online games running servers should probably be that Alpha and Beta testers are limited to playing live on specific servers, at least for the first six months to a year of a game's release, whether it's an MMO, or something that merely has online components. The reason being is that it would serve to help prevent not only beta-learned exploits from spreading to the entire game, but also end some of the problems with bullying where more experienced players from Beta basically take over the game and server economies from day #1, and pre-formed guilds start padding up their PVP ratings on defenseless newbs, oftentimes demoralizing and slanting PVP in favor of one faction or another on a server from the beginning. A problem with Betas that seems to have hurt more than a few games is basically turning a bunch of wolves loose on the sheep (including chinese farmers), especially during critical moments of launch when the GMs are focused on other things, by the time the GMs can look at the community in many cases it's already too late to do the damage. Penning up beta testers (and this comes from someone who is one) is probably a good idea. To be honest I'll also say that as "unfair" and "punishing" as this sounds, the companies might be able to soften it a bit by letting people keep beta characters on the beta player servers. This both means that stress testers and such won't get lethargic once the serious "testing" is done and it's all about lag-torture (figuring nothing they do matters anyway) since they will get to keep their effort at least on a specific server, and also keeps the wolves in with the other predators until the rest of the community catches up and can defend themselves/compete.

At any rate, the point here is that beta testing as it works now is a mess and causes a lot of problems (I'm just presenting a hypothetical solution to some of it with the QQing), it's actually good that EA is trying to address one aspect of the issues, though truthfully it's kind of irrelevent until they act on the policy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheSniperFan said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
If Valve were to do this, we'd hear what a great idea it was.
That's right!
And why would we hear that? Because Valve is a great company.
And why is Valve a great company? Because they don't do this kind of s**t.

Your statement is like saying "If they'd have divided by zero...". It just does not work.
Except, you know, they do pull this kind of shit. Their "accept our new ToU that prevents certain lawsuits or you lose all your games forever," or back when people lost their minds over EA's ToU that covered things that Steam already did....

Yeah. The point being...Hold on....

Sylveria said:
Maybe, but Valve didn't. EA did.
The point being, people are very very quick to scream bloody murder when EA does it, even if someone else does it. The same people seem to be very quick to apologise for Valve, even if Valve is doing the exact same thing.

There's no perhaps about it. We've seen it in action.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Vault101 said:
Valok said:

Oh EA, you never ceases to amuse me.
haha I like that XD

say...anyone remember a bugs life? no one seems too
Okay, I liked the Extended Cut, but that made me laugh. Bravo. XD

OT: Yeah, I can't take this seriously at all. EA can't really communicate well with customers with regards to anything at all, so I have to ask what's the point of this EULA. Even worse: This is coming from its legal department. God only knows how this will show up through their fucked up PR channels.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
When is a bug a bug, and when is it just a bizarre or misguided balance issue? "Hmmm... this seems oddly over-powered. They may have intended this, but I better report it as a bug or risk losing access to all my EA games. If I use the best weapon in the game am I exploiting?"

Or is that their goal? They want to be buried in so many spurious "nerf this" bug reports that they have plausible deniability for not fixing actual defects.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
EA is continuing its downward spiral yet people still defend it.
Amazing, absolutely amazing.

Its like watching someone defend a Grizzly Bear that is tearing people apart.
"ITS JUST ITS NATURE OTHER BEARS DO THAT TOO!"