EA Calls Developer Mentally Ill

MundaneOddity

Sep 30, 2012
I am just going to support Lanning here, he seems to be acting more mature than EA here. On another note, does anyone else think that EA being in trouble with the mob is not that hard to believe?

notimeforlulz

Mar 18, 2011
Before reading this I was contemplating about whether I should or shouldn't tell the person I have a job interview with today about my mental illness. Regardless of whether they'd discriminate or not, I'd worry about being discriminated against anyway and I don't want to have that worry about it while I'm working there.

Thank you E.A. You have educated me to keep my problems absolutely to myself instead of letting an employer know that I need an especially safe work environment due to my illness.

Thank you so much. I'm going to go cry now.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
If Lanning's crying wolf I think a joke about mental illness is fair enough. EA is the devil incarnate, but that's a light reaction considering what Lanning said.

If it's true, then what Lanning said was completely justified and EA is a dick for having the audacity to deny it.

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
well if someone actually uses the term 'fuck you very much' in a corporate setting, then unless they have tourettes and cannot control what they are saying, then they are a bit of a dick.

TBH I think EA's approach was less about insulting mental illness and more about 'pretending' to be the bigger man(company?) in this case.

From reading that I get the impression he is lying, but who knows, except themselves?

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Lanning always seemed kind of nuts, he made up a huge universe all by himself that was very odd, so I am not surprised he might make up a tale, especially with the jet and Ferrari part, however EA needs to shut the hell up.

Still hoping the Oddworld remakes come to Steam.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Fasckira said:
Moosejaw said:
Eh, they were responding to a guy who told them 'Fuck you very much' and implied they were shit in bed. Clearly both parties here were being incredibly unprofessional, and they're arguing with each other on the same level. If you're going to call EA's behavior inappropriate, you have to say the same of Lanning.
This, really. Not only that but Lanning is essentially using the old "slate EA for quick cred" routine, not surprised EA are more than a little fucked off tbh.

Was EA's response unprofessional? Sure, but it was unprofessional to the level of amusing I'd say. Far as Im concerned, Lanning set the tone of this little spat so he cant start crying now EA have retaliated in kind.
This. Furthermore, this article itself is written in a, as you put it,"slate EA for quick cred" fashion.

It turns from a news article to a PSA on why making fun of mental disabilities is bad. I'm all for political correctness to an extent, and I'm betting that that author of this article, as well as anyone on this thread trying to act all high and mighty has laughed at the same kind of joke at least once in their lives.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
there isnt a week that ea doesn't do that. its not even news, its just a standard ea life cycle. a deviation would be if they actually said something nice for a change. You know, soemthing like THIS. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119692-EA-Signs-On-to-GaymerCon]

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
Although I loved Oddworld 15 years ago, I've never heard the name Lorne Lanning until I read this article. Nor did I ever wonder if "that" guy was still making games. So, I my impression about this can be summed up in 3 points:
1. Publicity is good for business, especially when it's free and consists in controversy and insults.
2. Lanning is an indie developer, he can afford to be as nuts as he pleases. His comments were strangely fun, especially since they were directed at EA. The gaming industry surely lacks characters such as the ones we had in the 90's.
3. The EA spokesman represents a multinational corporation. His response was horribly inappropriate. This isn't Romanian politics, there's no excuse for such behavior.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
EA was arguably more polite, and less insulting in this argument. Oddworld guy was swearing and tossing out some really harsh insults, and EA responded with a very curtly "Fuck off, and have a nice day".

Normally I wouldn't support EA in a argument, but in this case I gotta say that everyone is making a big deal out of nothing.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
Fuckin' eh... you gone done it again EA.

I don't think anyone's surprised when an EA employee says something stupid, but now it seems they're trying their best to one-up themselves at every turn. Idiots.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Magichead said:
SteewpidZombie said:
EA was arguably more polite, and less insulting in this argument. Oddworld guy was swearing and tossing out some really harsh insults, and EA responded with a very curtly "Fuck off, and have a nice day".

Normally I wouldn't support EA in a argument, but in this case I gotta say that everyone is making a big deal out of nothing.
Except that isn't how they responded at all, they responded by spewing out some vacant, incorrect, and offensive bullshit that trivializes a serious fucking medical condition.

I mean really, if he had made a joke equating Oddworld guy's appearance with a serious physical ailment, or about the guy going mad because he'd riddled with brain cancer, people wouldn't be trying to pull this bullshit equivocation, but because he's taking potshots at the mentally ill it's totes cool beans?
So it's okay to say he has brain cancer, and not the other condition? In the end it doesn't matter if EA went and bashed a kitten to death with a mallet as their response, cause the other party did the exact same thing in terms of trying to start a argument or a 'flame war'. So if Group #1 says "You're a asshole" and Group #2 replies "You're a big floppy dick", it doesn't really matter that Group #2 used a more graphic or vulgar insult, because they're both in the wrong.

If that Oddworld guy had been making a polite and honest statement of "EA has attempted to buy out my company with large cash offers and material bribing" and EA had responded with a "YOU ARE A TOURETTES RIDDLED CANCER PATIENT WITH DOWN SYNDROME!", THEN!!!! I would be offended and actually give half a crap about what they're saying. But no, that is not how it went down. It's just two kids sitting across a table from one another during middle-school recess, tossing insults back and fourth.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
I'd even believe Gary Glitter if he said he wasn't a pedophile if it was EA accusing him.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
EA = EA

Nothing to see here. I think EA is the argument that in the USA College is a pointless excersise in getting a shiny, hundreds of thousands of Dollars debt badge...

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Okay. I missed the memo where reacting to somebody swearing with no provocation by saying they have Tourettes is somehow bad. I don't get it.