EA Calls Developer Mentally Ill

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
""We wish Lorne luck on the game and recommend Lithium for the paranoia and Tourette Syndrome," said EA's corporate spokesman, Jeff Brown. "Nobody here remembers a jet, a Ferrari or an offer to buy his company.""

Oh, that clears it up. Thanks EA. I had no idea.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Ed130 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Bobic said:
Someone swears a bunch and someone else makes an offhand comment about him having tourettes. I'm sorry, but so what? They weren't using tourettes as an insult, they were making the comparison of 'guy swears a lot, like someone with tourettes or something' (which yes, isn't true all of the time, but it's how it's viewed by a large portion of society, which no, isn't good and better education is needed. Hell, I'm schizophrenic, I know what it's like for everyone to get your illness wrong, but to call EA out of it, rather than, you know, everyone, is just bull)

Are you telling me you've never referred to something as 'crazy', 'retarded' 'the ref must be blind' or something along those lines? Or you heard your friend say something along those lines (or even someone cursing having tourettes, this isn't an EA invention) and didn't care because it's a complete non issue? This is such a pandering case of trying to make a story out of nothing. Hey, EA is quite hated, let's trawl through everything they say to find something we can stretch into a headline and desperately grab some page hits.

Really, all you can argue is unprofessionalism, but the comment that started it was 'fuck you very much', so it clearly isn't a professional conversation.

But basically, this really doesn't seem like news. It's horse race journalism. And it's pointless and petty.

tl;dr: It's political correctness gone mad!!!
Pretty much this. Everyone in this thread who seems to be on a high horse about EA making fun of mental illness has laughed at South Park, Family Guy, and comedians such as Doug Stanhope, guaranteed. The title of this article boggles my mind as it sets the tone that only EA was rude here. Clearly not the case.
Comedians pull stunts like that to be funny, its their job.

Jeff Brown is EA's corporate spokesman, the 'voice' of the company if you will. He (and by extension EA) used it as an insult, something that I have stated before you would expect form a youtube comment, not from a large corporation.

I'm not going to debate whether or not it was justified, I will argue that it was petty, childish and unbecoming of Jeff Brown and EA.
I'm aware that comedians says things like this for a living. That doesn't change the fact that everyday people say stuff like this all the time. Yes, its Jeff Brown's job to be professional, but its kind of refreshing to see a spokesperson talk about someone in a way that you'd hear in any other workplace setting. It makes him seem more fallible and human.

And you're ignoring the fact that Lorne Lanning was stupidly rude as well. Its not like Jeff Brown goes out of his was to insult people using mental illness, he was fighting fire with fire. Its not "professional" but to be honest, there is such a thing as being too politically correct, and if it leads to people ignoring the fact that the offending party was provoked, then I'm not down for demonizing EA this time.

Jeff Brown is PR, the voice of the company, I get that. Lorne Lanning is president and co-founder, he is the company. He should have carried himself in a more professional manner rather than trying to look cool taking random childish swipes in the first place.

Both sides provided "youtube" style insults, either demonized both, or ignore it like you would on youtube.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Astoria said:
They're both being pretty immature about this, though once again EA has made themselves the bigger idiot by making a joke about mental illness. Everyone knows that's a line you don't cross.
South Park, Family Guy, any comedian ever, elected politicians, average everyday person.

Everyone "crosses the line" everyday in one way or another. Can't call it a line if everyone has a different distance to cross it, it then becomes a jagged shape. I've seen it on this website, both by Escapist member and by those who write the articles. What makes EA doing it so bad? Especially when provoked with words that are still censored on TV.

I have a hard time believing that just EA should be given shit here.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Grey Carter said:
"When you say that to us we go 'fuck you very much', quite frankly. That's not a sustainable model, that's a hostile acquisition," Lanning said. "That's why we had to strive to get independent. Rather than get into bed with someone we knew was a horrible bed partner we said 'let's stay virgins for longer'."

"We wish Lorne luck on the game and recommend Lithium for the paranoia and Tourette Syndrome," said EA's corporate spokesman, Jeff Brown. "Nobody here remembers a jet, a Ferrari or an offer to buy his company."
I'll confess, I chuckled.

Leaving aside the whole political correctness issue here (mental illness is bad, people with mental illness deserve respect, etc.) I don't think there's anything really wrong with taking a pot-shot at someone who took a pot-shot at you. Yes, they're both being a little juvenile, but Lanning started it and I think Brown's comeback was funnier.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Holy shit these two make me look mature...

You would think grown businessmen would have a little more decorum in public.

I still wonder if it was EA who tried to take advantage of kickstarter and Obsidian. They really seem to know no bounds sometimes.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
Lanning uses virginity as an analogue to their independent status and to denote ea's questionable business practices, Brown uses mental illnesses to personally insult Lanning and call him a liar.

regardless of how you feel about ea and the way they operate, you have to wonder how they can manage to continue royally fucking up the PR side of things

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
While EA is certainly an acceptable target, behaving like EA while doing so defeats the purpose.

Also I think the collective intelligence of just about everyone in the games industry took a nose dive sometime in the last 6 years or so.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Wow! It's like the last 10 years EA has done all it can to make as much people hate them as humanly possible. Next on their itinerary; kitten drowning contest at a kindergarten class?

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
I don't even have words to express this so I leave you all with this~
Please, for the love of god tell me you're being ironic, or saying the news post as a whole gave you cancer. To complain about someone belittling tourettes with a comment belittling cancer, that is a level of bafflingly low self awareness and high hypocrisy that I can't even compute. So, I'm going to assume you are being ironic, in which case, well done. If not, see my first page comment, hang head in shame.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Was I the only one that saw the picture in the article and thought "wow, Viggo Mortensen makes games?"

I guess my "indie cred" is a bit depleated.

Lee Black

Apr 1, 2010
Excellent!

The court of public opinion is now in session.

Both parties are accused of slander and being a dickhead. EA may have initially had the high ground here (a rare beast indeed) IF Lorne Lanning was in fact lying.
They promptly surrendered that high ground by going for a cheap shot at genuinely unwell people with no part in this.

The only matter actually in question is... Did Mr Lanning, in fact lie?
If he did then we have a good old fashioned two way shitfight.
If not then he's still kind of a twat but not a twat guilty of slandering EA (no easy task).

In summing up the only winners here are we the ladies and gentlemen of the jury coz this is gonna be one hell of a show.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Ed130 said:
Comedians pull stunts like that to be funny, its their job.

Jeff Brown is EA's corporate spokesman, the 'voice' of the company if you will. He (and by extension EA) used it as an insult, something that I have stated before you would expect form a youtube comment, not from a large corporation.

I'm not going to debate whether or not it was justified, I will argue that it was petty, childish and unbecoming of Jeff Brown and EA.
I'm aware that comedians says things like this for a living. That doesn't change the fact that everyday people say stuff like this all the time. Yes, its Jeff Brown's job to be professional, but its kind of refreshing to see a spokesperson talk about someone in a way that you'd hear in any other workplace setting. It makes him seem more fallible and human.

And you're ignoring the fact that Lorne Lanning was stupidly rude as well. Its not like Jeff Brown goes out of his was to insult people using mental illness, he was fighting fire with fire. Its not "professional" but to be honest, there is such a thing as being too politically correct, and if it leads to people ignoring the fact that the offending party was provoked, then I'm not down for demonizing EA this time.

Jeff Brown is PR, the voice of the company, I get that. Lorne Lanning is president and co-founder, he is the company. He should have carried himself in a more professional manner rather than trying to look cool taking random childish swipes in the first place.

Both sides provided "youtube" style insults, either demonized both, or ignore it like you would on youtube.
"I'm not going to debate whether or not it was justified, I will argue that it was petty, childish and unbecoming of Jeff Brown and EA."

Feb 28, 2008
You never heard about Oddworld for almost a decade, and then suddenly it's absolutely everywhere. Conversely, there's barely a week in which you don't hear about EA being arseholes to somebody, so no change there.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
As much as I love your games Mr. Lanning, I feel that this was a somewhat unprofessional thing to handle things. Even if it was EA.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Bobic said:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
I don't even have words to express this so I leave you all with this~
Please, for the love of god tell me you're being ironic, or saying the news post as a whole gave you cancer. To complain about someone belittling tourettes with a comment that belittling cancer, that is a level of bafflingly low self awareness and high hypocrisy that I can't even compute it. So, I'm going to assume you are being ironic, in which case, well done. If not, see my first page comment, hang head in shame.

Yeah, the hypocrisy being shown be everyone here is astounding. It's like watching armed thugs being shocked at the audacity of police officers shooting at them after they've murders people.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Regardless of what Lanning says, I'm with anything that is the antithesis of EA. They are the supreme asshats of the publishing (scumbags) community.