EA Calls Developer Mentally Ill

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Moosejaw said:
Eh, they were responding to a guy who told them 'Fuck you very much' and implied they were shit in bed. Clearly both parties here were being incredibly unprofessional, and they're arguing with each other on the same level. If you're going to call EA's behavior inappropriate, you have to say the same of Lanning.
Not really. While he's a slanderous asshole and definitely NOT in the right, I feel that making fun of mental illness trumps profanity on the asshole scale every time.

'Course, what else did I expect from EA, the scummiest of scumbags?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Asshole in the right corner vs asshole in the left corner.

Well, this is PR for both parties so I guess it works out just fine for both of them.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I have no clue about Mr. Lannings mental health, but I know this:

1) Oddworld is one of my all-time favourite games. I had it lying around for weeks on the WTF pile, which I came up with especially for Oddworld. Oddworld was the only title on the WTF pile at that time. But once I sat down and started to wrap my head around it, oh boy, that was gaming bliss right there.

2) If a spokesperson for a rather large, global company blurts out nasty stuff like that, I really would expect him to be sacked. No, let me reiterate that: I would want him sacked no matter who he was representing. It's just a level of trolling I find hard to accept beyond Youtube comments sections or coming from anyone but the usual majorly artificially retarded suspects (Scientology, Westboro Baptist Church)

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Hooray, both parties are acting like they're 10 years old. This is going to go well.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I don't know, if there wasn't some truth to what Lanning said then surely EA could sue him for slander, right?

Is that how it works in America?

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Hilarious, considering last year Jeff Brown was headlining the whole anti-Activision campaign, preaching Battlefield will be the next huge thing and CoD will be gone from the market in 2-3 years.

If Activision were as insecure as EA and lacking a competent PR department, they might've called him crazy too.

Also, nice to see EA show their real colors. Tolerance and support are only for those who are a big enough market niche and have their own gaming con. The mentally ill can go fuck themselves.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Eh, I can't exactly say it was a horrible thing to say. I say worse things on a daily basis for humour.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Even if Lanning was full of shit, you just can't say these things when speaking for a corporation.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
EA are like a stand up comedian who makes a terrible joke, but the longer it goes on, the worse it gets for them, and every body is waiting with baited breath to see just what embarrassing thing they will say next.

I have to wonder if they are determined to get everybody hating them. Can anybody think of a way that people hating them could make them money? Because I can only assume that is their plan.

dogstile said:
Eh, I can't exactly say it was a horrible thing to say. I say worse things on a daily basis for humour.
Yes, but you aren't saying it while representing a multi-million dollar corporation while on camera.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Surprised that not more gamers have gotten on their high horse about EA using a comment like that despite the fact "mental illness" is used as an insult almost all the time.

I don't think I'm gonna side with either of them. I don't think EA would have made that sort of offer and it not be documented or published somewhere but I love Oddworld.

So they both win. Yay.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"We wish Lorne luck on the game and recommend Lithium for the paranoia and Tourette Syndrome," said EA's corporate spokesman, Jeff Brown.
There's a Jeff Brown that sits next to me in school, and for a second I thought it was actually him.

Huh.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
They're both being pretty immature about this, though once again EA has made themselves the bigger idiot by making a joke about mental illness. Everyone knows that's a line you don't cross.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Moosejaw said:
Eh, they were responding to a guy who told them 'Fuck you very much' and implied they were shit in bed. Clearly both parties here were being incredibly unprofessional, and they're arguing with each other on the same level. If you're going to call EA's behavior inappropriate, you have to say the same of Lanning.
This, really. Not only that but Lanning is essentially using the old "slate EA for quick cred" routine, not surprised EA are more than a little fucked off tbh.

Was EA's response unprofessional? Sure, but it was unprofessional to the level of amusing I'd say. Far as Im concerned, Lanning set the tone of this little spat so he cant start crying now EA have retaliated in kind.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Fasckira said:
Moosejaw said:
This, really. Not only that but Lanning is essentially using the old "slate EA for quick cred" routine, not surprised EA are more than a little fucked off tbh.

Was EA's response unprofessional? Sure, but it was unprofessional to the level of amusing I'd say. Far as Im concerned, Lanning set the tone of this little spat so he cant start crying now EA have retaliated in kind.
So you think making fun of the mentally ill or challenged is "amusing"?

EA is the bigger asshole here by a mile. Lanning was too, but Jeff Brown should be fired for that comment. My cousin has Downs Syndrome and it is NOT something you use as a comeback, especially if you're a professional company like EA. Although after this, I would hardly call them "professional".

And I know they didn't mention Downs Syndrome, but it does fall into the same category.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
TsunamiWombat said:
A Public Spokesman used a mental illness as an insult in a PUBLIC STATEMENT? How... STUPID do you have to be? The public backlash is going to CRUSH them.
You can't say "stupid" any more. That's demeaning to the Sub Average Intelligence community.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
snowfi6916 said:
So you think making fun of the mentally ill or challenged is "amusing"?
Never once said that. Please re-read carefully what I put before knee-jerking your way to a response:

Fasckira said:
Sure, but it was unprofessional to the level of amusing I'd say.
I do not think making fun of mental health problems is amusing at all, and I certainly didn't say that here. The point I was trying to make (though evidently not clearly enough) was that the situation of two grown adults in a supposedly professional capacity were reduced to this was amusing.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Moosejaw said:
Yeah but theres a difference Lanning was just rude to EA his insults though rude were specific, EA then turn around and insult people with tourette's and to a lesser extent any mentally ill people with there usual gift of PR finesse.

its just another in a long line of EA publicity blunders