EA Chief Sees Pirates as a "Marketplace"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] CEO John Riccitiello doesn't like piracy but says that as long as it's a fact of life, he'd rather treat it as a "marketplace" than take the heavy-handed and ultimately failed approach of the music industry.

The videogame industry has little to show for its years of struggle against piracy beyond a legacy of abject failure. DRM succeeded only in angering legitimate customers, while file-sharing sites have proven remarkably resilient in the face of the legal system. So as the old saying goes, if you can beat 'em, sell 'em some DLC.

"They can steal the disc, but they can't steal the DLC," Riccitiello said in an interview with Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5421466/ea-ceo-i-think-of-pirates-as-a-marketplace]. Some of the people who buy DLC haven't necessarily purchased a legitimate copy of the original game, but Riccitiello figures it's better for EA to make a few bucks off them where it can rather than engaging in a losing, zero-sum battle. "There's a sizable pirate market and a sizable second sale market and we want to try to generate revenue in that marketplace," he said.

Riccitiello said the music industry made a mistake by "demonizing" its customers and hopes that the value offered by DLC along with other services like the BioWare social network [http://www.easports.com] will convert at least some pirates into legitimate customers. "The consumer seems to really like this idea that there is extra stuff," he said. "The consumer wants more, and when you give them more or sell them more it seems to be extremely well received."

"I don't think anybody should pirate anything," he added. "I believe in the artistry of the people who build [the games industry.] I profoundly believe that. And when you steal from us, you steal from them. Having said that, there's a lot of people who do."

It's hard to ignore the irony of this statement coming from the top dog at Electronic Arts, a company that only a year ago was almost universally reviled for the intrusive (and ineffective) DRM it forced on gamers through games like $1 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87941-Spore-Most-Pirated-Game-of-2008] within the first week of the game's release, it looks very much like Riccitiello may be on to something.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Holy hell! He gets it!
Double holy Hell! It's the man from EA!

Whilst it's never especially great to go validating piracy to any degree, it's taken a long time for anyone to notice that fighting it results in nothing but bad publicity and pyrrhic victories. It would be insane to send everyone to prison and let the criminal go free, but yet they keep trying to do it anyway.

It's nice to see someone has finally looked at pirates and thought about ways to sell things to them, after all, there's lot's of 'em.

Sep 4, 2009
Nice to see that industry men in expensive suits are learning how to do something other than get the lawyers on the phone.

Even if it is at a CRUCIFYINGLY SLOW PACE.

Joeaverage

Apr 20, 2009
Interesting comparison with the second sale market, but it is pretty much the same from their point of view I guess.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Seriously what is going on with EA. Every news article I read, they are being nicer and nicer and adopting polcies that make sense. Yay for a company actually trying to improve it's practices.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Wait...you can't pirate DLC? Why, I wonder... You figure if digital distribution games can get cracked, what makes DLC so special?

Hmm...

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Well, I'm glad that they are getting rid of DRM, but what makes them think people can't pirate DLC? If just one person buys it, cracks the code, and puts it on a file-sharing site, I'm pretty sure it's been pirated. What makes DLC so special that they think it cannot be cracked? Also, I hope this doesn't result in a trimming down of games in favor of more DLC.

Mojojuxxy

Dec 9, 2009
SilentHunter7 said:
Wait...you can't pirate DLC? Why, I wonder... You figure if digital distribution games can get cracked, what makes DLC so special?

Hmm...
It's not impossible, but it's in that nice spot that makes it more difficult to pirate but not at the expense of legitimate customers. Simply due to the way DLC works makes it a smooth (mostly) transition/payment for legitimate customers but adds stumbling blocks to a pirate, making the legitimate route the easier option.

I'm glad some industries are finally learning from the music industries mistakes, their campaign of litigation now means that most young people today do not see music piracy as wrong or morally reprehensible in the slightest. And unless video game companies adapt quickly they could see their offerings being slotted into the 'ok to pirate' category of their potential customers.

Goenitz

Jul 22, 2008
Andy Chalk said:

"They can steal the disc, but they can't steal the DLC," Riccitiello said in an interview

False, just got all the DLC for dragon age. I dont feel too guilty, Bioware has enough of my money. Ive bought BG2 like three different times.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The Cake Is Annoying said:
Nice to see that industry men in expensive suits are learning how to do something other than get the lawyers on the phone.

Even if it is at a CRUCIFYINGLY SLOW PACE.
Yeah...but, you know what they say. Progress is slow...and so is business.

Well, at least its better than making the majority suffer fo the minority...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Aren't Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 from Bioware?

EA games I bought in the past 5 years.... Hmmm.... Yeeaaahhh... Games I played? Sims 2, Spore, Mirror's Edge.

SilentHunter7 said:

Hmm...
Yeah, it's not like there are no full packs of Fallout 3 + all DLCs on torrents. For the last 2 years or so.

Over_Krill

Nov 16, 2009
This is what will help stop piracy (Dragon Age: Origins and the upcoming Mass Effect 2, have both eschewed SecuROM and online authentication for a simple, old-fashioned disc check).

I did not buy a single EA game that had SecuROM and online authentication when they had it in why because it does not stop pirates and only affected customers not the pirates. The pirates just went around it which is what they will do with all anti-piracy DRM.
Before any one meantions the batman arkham asylum DRM the pirates got around that before the news about it came out about it
Its a bad DRM if it affects only one paying customer and it always does.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
So I pay 79.99 for the SE had to spend another 6 bucks for a storage chest because of leeching assholes who are to cheap to fucking buy it? Good job sticking it to the man guys. You really showed them big companies who are rolling in money didn't you.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
DLC is not pirate free, unfortunately. You can download it seperately and in some cases it even comes with the pirated copy of the game.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Abedeus said:
Aren't Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 from Bioware?

EA games I bought in the past 5 years.... Hmmm.... Yeeaaahhh... Games I played? Sims 2, Spore, Mirror's Edge.

SilentHunter7 said:

Hmm...
Yeah, it's not like there are no full packs of Fallout 3 + all DLCs on torrents. For the last 2 years or so.
BioWare is owned (and its games published) by EA.