Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHUAZAHAHHAHA
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA]
AHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH
OH GOD, OH GOD, OH JESUS
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wow... EA, seriously?
Dead Space, scary? Oh, you guys are funny.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I don't think it's possible for any game that hands you multiple laser based weapons to be scary.

Attercap

Irascible Webmaster
Jun 22, 2012
My boss said he had to put down the first game because the soundtrack got to him, tapping his fear center more than the actual game itself. I can understand that, I use it as one of my background tracks when running a table-top horror game. (I still tease him about being a wimp for being scared of video game, though. ...He won't even go near Amnesia.)

I think EA shoving social networking, and multi-player/co-op into every single game is a bit ridiculous. It's kind of fun in ME3, but the fact that it even ties into the single-player part of the game is annoying. Twitter/Facebook feeds do nothing for The Sims 3 (everyone I know turned that off immediately). And adding co-op into an atmospheric game like Dead Space kills the atmosphere.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Wow, just wow. How about you release Dragon Age 3 as a scifi, first person shooter next EA?

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
So if they are gentling down the horror, then what else can my mom hate about this game? They'll have to think of a new ad campaign!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Are EA really saying that they think adults are too scared to play Dead Space on their own? They would still be playing on their own in co-op technically because I don't think the game will have split screen. Maybe a pre-order bonus of a night light would be better :p

Attercap

Irascible Webmaster
Jun 22, 2012
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Are EA really saying that they think adults are too scared to play Dead Space on their own? They would still be playing on their own in co-op technically because I don't think the game will have split screen. Maybe a pre-order bonus of a night light would be better :p
...I would buy an Isaac engineer helmet night light.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
I would issue forth a great and mirthful laugh as the entirety of my comment, but I was warned before when I did that that it contributed nothing too the conversation about the article.
In this situation however, I would say it warrants it, thus with the disclaimer, here I go..
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!
The hilarity of this assertion is overwhelming, I almost cannot laugh -enough- to accurately display the body-wracking mirth of which I am possessed at this moment.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
This is what happens when you let kids play games they are too young to play. A horror without horror? Anyone else see the flawed logic?

Apr 5, 2008
"We were doing research coming out of Dead Space 1 and 2," said EA marketing exec Laura Miele. "We received feedback to understand how we can take the game out to even more consumers."
And this is why EA games tend to suck. They're homogenised beyond the point of wanting to play them anymore. Generic action game #213 in Generic Setting #46. The funny thing is Dead Space was already a watered down horror action game. Watering it down even more can only mean CoD in (Dead) space.

Well done EA. Ruin all your franchises and strip anything unique and interesting right out of them. We didn't want them anyway.

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
I remember approximately 2 scary moments from the Dead Space series.

The first was the first big jump scare in the first game.

was the bit in 2 where you go back on the Ishimura and you go through half the level with nothing happening and just wondering when they're going to drop the hammer on you and still nothing's happening and the the lights have dimmed down and you just know something bad is-ohshitwhatwasthatinthedistanceFUCKITSAPAIROFBRUTES!

And that's... really it.

Mar 20, 2010
This is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard in a very long time. I couldn't even laugh.
What in the flying fuck are you talking about?
Seriously, What the fuck?

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
It's pretty obvious what they're doing here, yet I don't see anyone calling them out.

Pushing multiplayer is becoming almost mandatory for games today. More multiplayer = more dlc = more $$$

Even if it means giving multiplayer to a game we never asked it to be included in. Seriously, they did "research" and came to the conclusion we wanted co-op to make it less scary?

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
They should hire Yahtzee as a creative consultant. Drop $10k to get plot development advice that would increase the odds of achieving a $M-dollar winner.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Yes, I was totally scared when I constantly ran into rooms guns blazing and killed enemies that were approaching me from ten miles away. Over the top gore is totally creepy. Screw mystery, powerlessness and suspense, all that matters is that you have freaky looking monsters!

Seems EA doesn't know the difference between stress and fear. Then again, same could be said about Alan Wake, yet the general populace regards it as a horror game.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Uh... yeah. I think when they say 'research', they actually mean 'excuse we're using for changing the franchise'.

As someone said above, the best way for EA to make more money from this game (and EVERY FUCKING GAME they publish) is to cut the fucking marketing budget. Dead Space 3 is a good example i used in a discussion I was having back when this was announced. Sure, EA want to expand the audience for it, and in general terms (for any publisher) this is something they should strive to do. Just not by dumbing it down, trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, trying to muscle in on the Call of Duty crowd, like everybody else is fucking doing.

But if we take the EA out of the equation for the minute, is it really worth the risk of making these changes in order to appeal to a wider audience (a lot of whom are more likely to stick with their preferred franchises) - which is in way guaranteed to be successful, and losing a percentage of the audience that you've already established - which pretty much is guaranteed.

Yes, this is taken from a business perspective, a kind of cost analysis exercise, but its one worth making.

But EA don't really work this way do they? Cramming multiplayer or co-op into everything - well actually, fundamentally cramming game modes that dont fit with that particular game - is eventually going to blow up in their faces.

I know I personally will not be buying Dead Space 3, because I have lost all interest in the franchise. Hell, while I enjoyed the second game at the time, the only two things I can really rememebr about it are the fact that the 'final boss' was an annoying, messy bag of wank, and the best level in the game was an extended call back to the original.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I just... God damnit, EA. You have already killed this series, you don't have to explain your complete bullshit reasons. Dead Space was fun because it was scary, you absolute morons, WAY TO RUIN IT!