EA DICE Manager: We're Not Just a "Battlefield Factory"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA DICE Manager: We're Not Just a "Battlefield Factory"

EA Games Vice President Patrick Soderlund says there's more to EA DICE than just its famous shooter franchise.

When you think of the Stockholm-based Electronic Arts studio DICE, odds are the first thing that leaps to mind is the Battlefield [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6G5TW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353442179&sr=8-1&keywords=Battlefield+3] franchise. The odds are also good that absolutely nothing else follows, because that's pretty much all it does. Yet to hear Soderlund tell the tale, the studio actually has a lot more going on than just its its famous modern combat series.

"Well it depends, right? Maybe it is and maybe it isn't," he told OXM when asked whether it was hard for the studio to branch out into new franchises when its primary property is so successful. "The DICE guys are roughly 300 people in the Stockholm studio; not all of them are working on Battlefield things, and that's intentional, because we don't want to become a Battlefield factory."

"The minute we start saying, 'You're going to make a Battlefield game for the rest of your life', they're going to go someplace else," he continued. "So for them to make great Battlefield games there need to be other things for them to do as well. That's why we have people who move around quite a bit. And then obviously we have a boatload of people that just want to make Battlefield because they love it."

It sounds good, what with variety being the spice of life and all that, but I have to wonder what exactly those non-Battlefield guys are doing. According to the DICE page on MobyGames [http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/ea-digital-illusions-ce-ab/developed-by/offset,0/so,1d/list-games/], the only thing aside from Battlefield that the studio has done since 2003 are RalliSport Challenge 2, the multiplayer component of Medal of Honor and the late, lamented Mirror's Edge, which by the way is rapidly approaching five years old. I don't think there's any question that fresh, new challenges help keep a studio from stagnating, but if that's really what DICE has cooking, I'd love to see some of fruits of their labors. (And yes, that is a thinly-veiled cry for Mirror's Edge 2.)

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/47760/ea-dice-isnt-a-battlefield-factory-new-projects-are-underway/#null]

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
My brother and I still break out Mirror's Edge every now and again - seriously, they should put their heads together, figure out how to give it a larger appeal (normally a bad move, but evidently it didn't have a large enough one to start with), and give it another go. Or maybe they could split the difference, and make a game with equal parts shooter and free-running - if you could get those to work well in tandem (Brink tried, but didn't pull it off), that could have a lot of draw, and they've already done a good job on both counts independently (Or so I hear - never actually bothered to play Battlefield).

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Smiley Face said:
Or maybe they could split the difference, and make a game with equal parts shooter and free-running - if you could get those to work well in tandem (Brink tried, but didn't pull it off)
Oh, in my opinion that is like the only thing Brink got right. Everything else they promised us, however (story, objectives), was just turned into a pile of steaming, but also golden, shit. And then they abandon the game.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
"Hey remember that time we made that cool unique parkour game with an awesome soundtrack and art style?"
"Yeah?"
"Let's never do anything that interesting again"
- EA DICE in a nutshell

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
A ha... ahahaha... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OH GOD, THE LAUGHTER IS UNCONTROLLABLE. OH LORD... oh...

You know what DICE? Release Mirror's Edge 2 and you'll stop being treated as such. :D

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Kyogissun said:
A ha... ahahaha... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OH GOD, THE LAUGHTER IS UNCONTROLLABLE. OH LORD... oh...

You know what DICE? Release Mirror's Edge 2 and you'll stop being treated as such. :D
I don't want that because you know they're just going to mess Mirror's Edge 2 up and since all of EA games have to have multiplayer we'll get another tacked on crappy multiplayer.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hey, remember those couple of games we experimented with a while back? Don't we deserve to ride on those for a couple more years?

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
"We don't want to become a Battlefield factory."

Well, at the moment that's all you are. Sure Mirrors Edge was something different, but currently pretty much associate's DICE with Battlefield, and that's all. Only way to chance that is to make us think of something else. Right now I just cant.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Sorry, but I highly doubt EA will let you be anything else. You want to prove you are not a Battlefield factory? I'll believe it when I see it. :p

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
I'll just echo everyone else's opinion, which is the same on I formed the second I read the title:

"THEN HURRY THE HELL UP AND MAKE MIRROR'S EDGE 2 YOU IDIOTS!"

All they need to do is fix up the combat a bit, maybe flesh out the story some more, and it will be an amazing game. Plus lets face it, a new Mirror's Edge on Frostbite 2 would probably be the prettiest, sexiest, most eye-exploding game of all time.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Smiley Face said:
My brother and I still break out Mirror's Edge every now and again - seriously, they should put their heads together, figure out how to give it a larger appeal (normally a bad move, but evidently it didn't have a large enough one to start with), and give it another go. Or maybe they could split the difference, and make a game with equal parts shooter and free-running - if you could get those to work well in tandem (Brink tried, but didn't pull it off), that could have a lot of draw, and they've already done a good job on both counts independently (Or so I hear - never actually bothered to play Battlefield).
I would like to see the game go the deus ex/dishonored route where you could make the character either more shooter based or more parkour based and make it possible to complete the game without killing anyone.

I think that would give it wider appeal without compromising what made people like it in the first place.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
YES. MAKE A SEQUEL TO MIRROR'S EDGE.

I've little hope for a publisher that does poor duty to gaming by stifling innovation, but please please please, MAKE A SEQUEL. Sure the first game was short, the free-running sequences could be less linear, and the story could've been fleshed out more. But it was one of the most original games that came out in a year full of crap recycled FPS games and big-budget blockbusters, and it was an experimental with a concept that has so much potential, and I'd love to see it developed further in an even better game.
DO IT.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
That is like hearing a Smarties factory saying:
"WE ARE NOT JUST A CANDY FACTORY"

What a dumb ass.