EA DICE Manager: We're Not Just a "Battlefield Factory"

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
It's true. They're not just a Battlefield factory. They also work on Medal Of Honor, guys! So, you know, that other military shooter.

Just please make Mirror's Edge 2. PLEASE!

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
As a self confessed Battlefield fanboy I always thought they were eventually making Mirrors edge 2... In fact I thought they had confirmed "eventually" (or was it "Possibly"? Though I don't remember "NEVER" like I gathered from this article) as such...

Need to give MirEdg a shot. I bought it during the summer steam sale but didn't get to play it, and then I moved country and sold my gaming rig and am awaiting an opportunity to build a new one. Just am stuck with a mid end laptop with an APU... Grr....

Jan 27, 2011
Hey DICE. Mirror's edge 2. I would totally buy that.

Any modern military shooter that isn't completely INCREDIBLE in the story department (see spec ops), I have zero interest in.

Just sayin'.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I'd say he means that they also work on the frostbite engine and possibly even do internal test games (not for public release) to see what can be done with the engine.

captcha: strike three - err... your out EA?

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Okay, they've got a point, they're not just about Battlefield.

They're also about destroying the Medal of Honor franchise, too. Real renaissance men, those dudes at DICE.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
If they think they are anything but a Battlefield factory, they are lying to themselves. I can say all day long I'm not a white guy, but at the end of the day, I'm a white guy. It's just a matter of being realistic. You can say you are not a Battlefield what you are, but at the end of the day you have only really done BF games. You did a game that sucked horribly, and you made Mirror's Edge, which was a great game. But it's a game that gets no love from you or your publisher overlords. The only thing you can call yourself besides a BF factory is an engine maker... that is at this point only used for FPS games.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I know everyone wants Mirror's Edge 2, but I just want to say, I want Mirror's Edge 2, but with a longer story mode. And perhaps co-op. Because that would be cool. And it would prove that these guys who aren't making Battlefield are making something that I really want.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Is he just saying all this for the benefit of his fatigued employees he briefly mentions?

I certainly see nothing else but Battlefield, Mirror's Edge was years ago and they've said that a sequel won't be happening just yet.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Easy solution - start making Mirror's Edge 2 -- I will buy it and I know that there are many like me that will be much more excited to purchase and play it than whatever the FPS of the month is -unfortunately that probably won't happen. What EA probably learned from the divisive reception and lackluster sales is that it doesn't pay to take risks when you can make money off the status quo routine. My greatest hope is that the commercial and critical success of Dishonored this year will lead more developers, and more importantly, the publishers who own them to take risks on new IP and ideas.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
When you think of the Stockholm-based Electronic Arts studio DICE, odds are the first thing that leaps to mind is the Battlefield franchise.
DICE = Mirror's Edge for me. Could not care less about Battlefield or which company makes it.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
EA DICE Manager: We're Not Just a "Battlefield Factory"
Sorry, yes you are. You made some other stuff, but then EA decided to stomp on you and turn you in to what you make best- a gray, soulless monstrosity who can only do one thing.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
oh? funny ... i can never remember who makes CoD and who makes battlefield, since nether studio does anything else, and no, release ONE games that's different dose not count.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
The people who don't want to make Battlefield just make coffee for everyone else making Battlefield until they are ready to come back and make more Battlefield. Also, Battlefield.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
At this point its beating a dead horse, but I will STILL say that DICE, make Mirrors Edge 2 and I will believe you.

Though the irony of avoiding the image of being a sequel factory by making a sequel is not lost on me.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Since 2003, [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Digital_Illusions_CE#Games_developed] (the year AFTER the first Battlefield game came out) they have made four games that aren't in the Battlefield series, and three that aren't FPSes.
Mirror's Edge, Midtown Madness 3, Medal of Honor and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.
That is out of 28 games or expansion packs.
Pre-2003, they made 19 games, going back to '92, only one of which was a Battlefield game.
So, you can sort of see why we think DICE is a Battlefield factory.

RicoADF said:
I'd say he means that they also work on the frostbite engine and possibly even do internal test games (not for public release) to see what can be done with the engine.
To which I say: "So... what CAN you do with the engine that isn't a groundbreaking leap in gunshootery and warfighting?"

Coles_Law

Jul 13, 2009
Unfortunately, there were audio problems with Patrick Soderlund's mic, so parts of his interview were lost. His full statement was: "We don't want to become a Battlefield Factory. After all, this land isn't zoned industrial. We're really aiming for more of a Battlefield co-op, or a sort of build-your-own-Battlefield shop."

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Mirror's Edge 2 or GTFO!

If you are going to make a statement like, "We're not just a Battlefield factory" you better back it up.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Not only are they a Battlefield factory, they've become a generic modern battlefield factory. Give us another WW2 battlefield already.

Better yet, get creative and give us Codename Eagle 2- The granddad of large scale vehicular FPS warfare. You know you want to see more of Battlefield's faster paced crazy predecessor:

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Until proven otherwise, DICE is a shooter factory. You had Mirror's Edge, and with a better story a sequel would be quite nice. But all you do is shooters. That is all you ever do, and all you can do properly.