EA did some things good.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
EA were good. Back in the day when they published good games, the list of which is too long for me to be bothered writing out. Just look through the thread and people have already said a lot of good games which EA released.

That is why I will always have some respect for them, but of late.... eh, they haven't been on top of the world.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
EA had a pretty decent period between their current "DLC, DRM and shit like that everywhere" state and their "Let's kill Westwood and Bullfrog" era from the early 2000's.

You know, around 2007-2008 when they suddenly started taking risks by funding new IP's and seemed to actually care about the medium of videogames and their customers. Right around when Activision became the new big bad in the gaming industry.

Man does that feel like a lifetime ago, doesn't it?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Shinsei-J said:
When I look at this picture, it doesn't scream corporate greed or insane business policies and decisions, nor do they have an air of incompetency around them.

Then I envision the cast of people that run EA today. Could anyone here honestly, and with evidence, say that the group of today is capable of producing a game like they did? Not a service, not a product - but an actual just-put-it-in-and-play-it game?

Maybe I'm romanticizing the past...but I was rather fond of the storyteller making the RPG or the creative mind making the challenging platformer or action game; not the businessman making fucking products, or services, or that bile-inducing, mind-numbing phrase: transactions.

The EA of old? Pretty decent fellows. Did some awesome things.

The EA of today? Fuck them and fuck their money-grubbing, anti-gaming mindset, "visions" and the culture they've helped to fester onto this industry.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Shinsei-J said:
Ever see this? The original manifesto of EA, the name says it all Electronic Art.

Breaks my heart a little when I read this.
(Heh. I recognize Annie Westfall, Paul Rieche III, John Freeman, and John Fields, in that photo. )

This. I can remember when EOA was a logo I liked seeing. All of their games being packaged in an "edgy" 8¾-inch "box" that unfolded into three panels of interesting artwork, media and manual. Games like Hard Hat Mack, Axis Assassin and the Adventure Construction Set, which I enjoyed in their quirky fun. I had a ball with Archon and its sequel. They published games by Interplay until they could afford to do it themselves and I even have the original box with the disks formatted for my C-64. It seemed then they were content to just embellish the software with a little art and let the coders, well, code.

While there are some of their newer titles that I've enjoyed since those days (the newest thing I've played, however, is NFS Underground II); There's been a big shift in their focus since the days when they seemed to be more interested in publishing than the profit margin. They made the same mistakes over and over again and ruined many beloved franchises for the sake of getting it out before a holiday or bawwing over the low profits in spite of hiring a dozen programmers too many.

While it's possible that they might smarten up and make some sensible decisions for something other than their sports titles, taking an iceberg and finally resting off the coast of Newfoundland is going to be inevitable. I suppose that remark would have been more apporopriate for Interplay, though.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
madwarper said:
Hero in a half shell said:
Mass Effect and Dragon Age were created by Bioware under EA,
Wrong. Mass Effect was released in 2007, EA consumed BioWare in 2009.
They must have had something to do with it as the EA logo is shown as the game loads. I know this as my PC always seems to "bork" for a split second as the EA logo is displayed, thus making the animation stutter. The BioWare and Demiurge logo-displays all work fine! ;-)

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
Yeah I liked Brootal Legend also. Can't really defend the weird, cheap, kinda lame rts that came with it, but the story, setting, characters and soundtrack made it such a unique experience, that I can forgive the minor chore of its stage-fights. I like Yahtzee for hating what I hate, but considering some of the crap he likes for stupid reasons I think he must've been out of meds and liquor when he reviewed this game.

Anybody cutting the game down without having actually played it should kindly shut their hole.

I think if EA did something good in the past 10-20 years it was an accident. Not sure that counts.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Shinsei-J said:
Ever see this? The original manifesto of EA, the name says it all Electronic Art.

Breaks my heart a little when I read this.
Well to be fair Mass Effect 3 made me cry a few times. Still doesn't change their shit business practices though.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
EA produces a variety of fine games that are fun to play. The problem is that they tend to ruin the good ideas when the sequels are produced as they reach for homogenization to reach a broader audience. I cna give them kudos for backing some risky developments, but beyond that there isn't much to praise. I don't think EA are evil, they are just managed by people that don't care about games, gamers, gaming or anything to do with the hobby, and it shows.

Nomadiac

Jan 11, 2013
EA is a pretty badly run company. They've got terrible business practices, and they're so far up their own asses it's painful to see. (Though with the Xbox One launch, Microsoft seems to be outdoing them.)

However, they own Bioware, one of the few big RPG devs left in the business next to Bethesda (which I like, but I'm not so into their games) and now CDPR. I guess you could put Obsidian up there, but they're a bit smaller. And I don't see that Bioware post-acquisition has been going that badly. (Yes, I'm one of those freaks who actually liked DA2 and ME3, though they are quite flawed games.)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
JenSeven said:
I was hoping that people would post some fun or good games...
Guess there is still too much bad blood going around
Forced positivity rarely works. In fact, if it comes to that, something's severely wrong.

Varrdy said:
madwarper said:
They must have had something to do with it as the EA logo is shown as the game loads.
They published the game when it came out a year later on Windows, as well as when it came out on the PS3.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
idarkphoenixi said:
They still screw over consumers and employee's alike. Not to mention their unfortunate habit of buying up developers on the cheap, squeezing them dry and dumping the carcass as they move on.

Overpricing games, excessive DLC, microtransactions, always on drm, online passes (which they only removed because MS is basically doing it for them. So transparent, EA) The list goes on. Even I've enjoyed some games published by them (Published, remember that. Not developed) but that doesn't change what they are.
Overpricing games? I'm sorry, where are you from because every single EA game I have bought have been either on par or even cheaper than other video game titles. Mass Effect 3 cost me $78 on release, as opposed to Black Ops 2 ($99), Assassin's Creed 3 ($88), and Far Cry 3 ($90).As for the DLC, you could say they do produce excessive amounts, but if you don't want it, don't buy it. Same goes for micro-transactions, don't like it, don't use it, I didn't when I played Dead Space 3 and I enjoyed the hell out of that game. Always on DRM, sure, has it's issues, but EA aren't the only company doing so. Online passes, it's funny that you mention how transparent they are for removing this practice because of the Xbox One, you know, one of 3 possible consoles to play AAA games on. So in reality, PS4 and the Wii U users should be smiling, as no more online passes means that they will definitely get all the benefits of that practice.

What they are is a very successful business, they're not suppose to be our friends, this is not a buddy relationship, this is a business transaction. Yes, you can very well complain when they do things wrong, I would think you'd be crazy not to, but to say that they're evil, horrible, terrible, blood thirsty, greedy is unfair. Hitler and Stalin were evil, the bank of America is evil, EA make business decisions in hopes of maximizing their profits so that they can make more games so that they can make more money. This isn't good, it isn't even bad, it's just life, and the world will keep spinning with or without one/all of us.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
the hidden eagle said:
Yeah corpoations don't care that you care about them they just want the money but the people behind the corporations can be assholes though.As for EA I feel they are driving themselves into the ground and they are mor concern with making a fast buck then thinking about long-term profits.Think how many people have they pissed off with their short sighted greed?Alot and it shows as EA's stock dropped by a considerate number,their problem is they are trying to grab as much money as possible by giving games short development times and turning them into the same boring thing because they want the fast money.
I don't think they'll drive themselves out of business, they still make a lot of money, just not as much as they want (which yeah, is an extreme amount that is caused by far too much advertising). It's kind of like the whole Capcom deal, they spend far to much money on trying to show everyone and their mums that they then have to expect 6 million copies sold to get their hoped for profit. Then they make DLC in hopes of getting more revenue, but making it costs money so then they need everyone to pay for it. It's kinda like a self replicating problem or whatever the right terminology would be.

Still doesn't make them bad though...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
While I am not really into them myself, they are pretty much the only company that creates decent sports games. So at least one section of the market has a lot to be thankful for.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Back on track...

Their health benefits are usually better than the acquired company's.

>.>

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Varrdy said:
They must have had something to do with it as the EA logo is shown as the game loads. I know this as my PC always seems to "bork" for a split second as the EA logo is displayed, thus making the animation stutter. The BioWare and Demiurge logo-displays all work fine! ;-)
EA published the PC version of the game. However, the development of the game has already been completed long before EA ever entered the picture, which is why if you look on the 360 version, there is no EA logo anywhere.

EA had nothing to do with making Mass Effect. GearsofWarclone Effect 2 was made under the tendrils of EA.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
ohnoitsabear said:
Not only did EA release a bunch of their old, classic titles on GOG, the best games download service period, but they also did it at they same time that they were trying to push Origin. EA has done a lot of shitty things, but I fucking applaud them for this.
They even allowed GOG to update certain games with their expansions at no extra cost to the customer.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Dansen said:
JenSeven said:
I was hoping that people would post some fun or good games...
Guess there is still too much bad blood going around
The first two harry potter games were a ton of fun, especially chamber of secrets. The Bertybotts economy was a great idea rather than having that silly easter egg in the first one. Really solid gameplay design. They should have tried to stick with that formula instead of turning them into action games.
The third one was like that, too, with the addition of co-op.

It was Goblet of Fire where they became the bullshit generic movie tie in game.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
madwarper said:
EA published the PC version of the game. However, the development of the game has already been completed long before EA ever entered the picture, which is why if you look on the 360 version, there is no EA logo anywhere.
Yet ME2 is herald as the best of the series, which was fully done under EA. So....

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
ThriKreen said:
madwarper said:
Yet ME2 is herald as the best of the series, which was fully done under EA. So....
Or maybe it was the best of the series despite being done under EA.
Although, I kinda liked the leveling system of the 1st one more and the planet scanning was pure crap.
So, not really sure which one is better. Both were flawed but in completely different ways.