EA: Dungeon Keeper Failed by "Innovating Too Much"

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
EA: Dungeon Keeper Failed by "Innovating Too Much"

People just weren't ready for the mobile game, according to EA exec.

EA's free-to-play reboot of the classic Dungeon Keeper [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8773-Free-To-Wait]could have gone better[/a], to say the least. It used the beloved franchise as a skinsuit for a sleazy cash grab. Not only was it panned, but it also sank its developer, Mythic. Six months later, the company is still dealing with the fallout. While EA CEO Andrew WIlson [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135710-Cash-Grab-Dungeon-Keeper-Was-Wrong-Admits-EA-CEO]recently apologized[/a] for the whole thing, saying it was wrong, Frank Gibeau, EA's head of mobile, has gone the other direction and speculated that audiences just weren't ready for it yet.

"Dungeon Keeper suffered from a few things," Gibeau told Games Industry. "I think we might have innovated too much or tried some different things that people just weren't ready for... I don't think we did a particularly good job marketing it or talking to fans about their expectations for what Dungeon Keeper was going to be or ultimately should be."

While Dungeon Keeper ended up killing veteran developer Mythic, EA will still maintain the game because of its commitment to players. As Gibeau said, "[W]hen you bring in a group of people to Dungeon Keeper and you serve them, create a live service, a relationship and a connection, you just can't pull the rug out from under them. That's just not fair."

It should be noted that EA can no longer [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135878-Dungeon-Keeper-Ads-Misleading-Concludes-UK-Advertising-Watchdog]legally market the game as free[/a] in Europe, due to its crazy amount of in-app purchases. At this point, it's likely best if EA just stops talking about Dungeon Keeper all together and moves on.

Source: [a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-08-ea-taking-notes-from-supercell-king-gungho]Games Industry International[/a]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Everyone prepare your laughing gifs. I'll kick us off.

I mean, really Gibeau? "Innovated too much"? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

I mean, I defend EA at times, but you've just left yourself open to ridicule with this one.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
"I think we might have innovated too much or tried some different things that people just weren't ready for..."
Mr Bender, please take it away.

Thank you, Mr Bender.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Wow... I mean wow. That's... Wow. Really? Oh I see. Your mistaking innovation with bullshit. I can see where you got confused.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Oh EA, you so cray.

I gotta agree with you Ian, EA should just stop talking about Dungeon Keeper and let it go.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
your right EA it's not that the game was a greedy cash grab, it was just too innovative for us! we should get with the times people, the future is paying for each and every individual action you do in a game.

seriously though this is the same old Ea, same blaming of the customers same tired excuses, soon the same tired apology, well EA I guess my money is too innovative for you, it wants to do different things like paying for complete experiences , things your not ready for.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Is there anyone, anywhere, who believes this one bit? Anyone at all?

And just when will we be "ready" to be nickel and dimed to death?

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
The only thing EA has "Innovated" is pissing off its customers. Honestly though this is so hilarious that I can't even be mad about it.

Just damn... be quiet EA, stop being dumb.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
You know I think what worries me the most is the fact that this is exactly the kind of BS I expect to hear from game companies these days.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Does anyone have the "you keep using that word" image macro ready? because this would be the perfect time to use it.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Dear Mr. Gibeau,

Blatant cash grabs have never been innovative. And they certainly aren't innovative in the mobile market. There have already been several games that attempt to separate you from your money via mechanics that decrease wait time in return for money. There was no innovation to be had. In fact it would have been MORE innovative to offer a "free to play" game that really was FREE TO PLAY and never once tried to ask for you credit card information. That sir, would have been true innovation.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
The only thing I can think of that would make that phrase make any sense is that when he said the game "innovated too much", what he really meant is "we changed it too much from the original games", referring to the fact that no one was happy with a Dungeon Keeper reboot that basically completely changed its genre. Though even that would require getting Inigo Montoya in here to point-out that changing a game's genre isn't "innovation".

Brainplant

Jun 7, 2010
"I think we might have innovated too much or tried some different things that people just weren't ready for"

So... you're saying it's our fault, then? Just admit you're saying that!

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Oh EA you not trying to hard, you are very much not trying at all. I dont think you understand what you are saying. Innovation means you are trying to improve, make something better, not steal and lie your way into peoples pockets. Oh you truly do make me laugh

Oh yeah and this is what I think of you ever since Mass Effect 3

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Heh, really? I've said it before and I'll say it again, the games industry really needs to work on their PR tactics, I swear every week we hear a few of the usual suspects running off their mouth when it would have been more advantageous just to keep quiet and hope people start to forget. You don't see many other industries running into this problem, I guess the video game industry still need time to mature. Anyhow, I couldn't find a decent laughing gif so I'll let Jim doing the talking for me: