EA Exec Claims DRM Is a "Failed Dead-End Strategy"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Exec Claims DRM Is a "Failed Dead-End Strategy"

EA Labels President Frank Gibeau claims that DRM is "not a viable strategy for the gaming business."

Good news, everyone! Digital rights management, better known in the parlance of gamers as DRM, is dead. So says no less an industry luminary than Frank Gibeau, the president of EA Labels, who said at the Game Developers Conference this week that DRM just doesn't fly. "DRM is a failed dead-end strategy; it's not a viable strategy for the gaming business," he told GamesIndustry.

Gibeau's comments were made in relation to the disastrous launch of SimCity, which was mercilessly dashed upon the rocks of an always-on internet requirement. Lots of folks viewed the situation as yet another example of DRM gone wrong, but Gibeau said DRM never entered into the conversation - SimCity's connectivity requirement was simply an unavoidable consequence of "building a massively multiplayer experience."

"What we tried to do creatively is build an online service in the SimCity universe and that's what we sought to achieve. For the folks who have conspiracy theories about evil suits at EA forcing DRM down the throats of Maxis, that's not the case at all," Gibeau said.

"At no point in time did anybody say 'you must make this online'. It was the creative people on the team that thought it was best to create a multiplayer collaborative experience and when you're building entertainment... you don't always know what the customer is going to want. You have to innovate and try new things and surprise people and in this particular case that's what we sought to achieve," he continued. "If you play an MMO, you don't demand an offline mode, you just don't. And in fact, SimCity started out and felt like an MMO more than anything else and it plays like an MMO."

Criticism of SimCity's always-on requirement intensified after it was discovered that the game doesn't actually require a connection to remote servers in order to operate: Modders were able to get the game functioning offline in relatively short order and with only minor losses of functionality.

Gibeau's statement leads to an interesting question: At what point does DRM stop being DRM and start being an integral component of gameplay? Using Steam as a template, it's arguable that EA could claim to have abandoned DRM simply by making Origin a requirement of using its games. It's semantics, of course, but it worked for Valve - could it work for EA too?

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-27-ea-drm-is-a-failed-dead-end-strategy]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well that nicely demonstrates how out of touch (or desperate, delusional) EA's head honchos are.

Our DRM isn't DRM, it's a service!

No Frank, Origin and Simcity's 'vital' online connection are not services, they are DRM, arbitrary walls between customer and product. This is why I don't buy your games you idiot.

It reminds me of Sony's PR statements from a few years back actually, when everything seemed to be going wrong and yet every press release read more or less that EVERYHTING IS FINE, STOP ASKING US IF IT's NOT FINE, IT's FINE, FINE?!

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Oh, now he tells us.

Funny how, once Steam proved that PC gamers are willing to buy, all the publishers are suddenly eager to make amends. "Oh, we called you pirates? Uh... Never mind. Please buy our stuff again!"

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Gibeau's statement leads to an interesting question: At what point does DRM stop being DRM and start being an integral component of gameplay? Using Steam as a template, it's arguable that EA could claim to have abandoned DRM simply by making Origin a requirement of using its games. It's semantics, of course, but it worked for Valve - could it work for EA too?
So he says that DRM is pointless. Then he cops out and says SimCity's always-online requirement isn't DRM. Hmmmm

I don't get it. He's basically saying..Yeah, DRM sucks and is pointless and is terrible. We know.

[/spoiler]

Call me cynical. But his statement doesn't make me feel like any progress has been made.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
I know this is completely off topic, but the dude in the news thumbnail (From the main page) is cute . Really, really cute.

Look at taht.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's amazing they're still lying about this to our faces after they were called out. "They wanted to make it online and MM" and "It fits our vision" No they built the game to be online so people would show off iterations of their DLC to other players in the neighborhood, probably limiting benefits of DLC if other towns don't have it or not allowing players to even interact.

Singleplayer is totally do-able and everyone wants it but they just keep lying and insisting it fits their vision. Well the customers have a different one and are tired of being lied too.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
When i read the title all i could shout out was 'no shit sherlock'

Do love it how he still tries to downplay the sim city lauch though."
But,

"SimCity's connectivity requirement was simply an unavoidable consequence of "building a massively multiplayer experience.""
No it wasn't

"you don't always know what the customer is going to want."
I'll give him some credit here, that is true. With new IP's and all. With sim city it was pretty cut and dry what the customer wanted.

"You have to innovate and try new things"

BAHHAHAHAHAHA. This coming from EA?

"If you play an MMO, you don't demand an offline mode, you just don't. "
True, but there are a few key differences between Simcity and WoW. Something to do with being able to connect and all.

Timzilla

Mar 26, 2010
If the whole point was to make an MMO like game, then why not just add an "Online" subtitle? That way atleast the consumer has an idea what the focus is and what they're getting into. Is anyone really gonna complain when "SimCity:Online" needs a connection?

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I could get it if it did seem to resemble an MMO at all. Which it really doesn't as player interaction is extremely limited. Most MMO's have players working together to achieve a common goal but the trading with other cities doesn't seem to be required much at all. Seems rather silly but this is an EA executive so its unfortunately unexpected that they know nothing about games themselves.

It is true that DRM is stupid but justifying your DRM by saying "its a service" is also rather obnoxious... Which does have a slight correlation with steam except that is a service where you can buy games for good prices and free multiplayer so yeah.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
So maxis just didn't pay attention to the industry?

This is why I love Bungie and Bethesda, they have the common courtesy to look at fan's requests

wgar

Apr 22, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
*Reads Title*
Bit Early for April Fool's isn't it Andy?
Lots of folks viewed the situation as yet another example of DRM gone wrong, but Gibeau said DRM never entered into the conversation - SimCity's connectivity requirement was simply an unavoidable consequence of "building a massively multiplayer experience."
Ah there we go, still EA
Uhhh what? They built an MMO; can't make that offline mate. If you knew the first thing about video game design you'd realise that.

It's not like Gibeau can change Valve's mind anyway; shoving more Steam down our throats is how things will have to be for a little while.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
karma9308 said:
I can't remember, have we always been at war with Eastasia? Or was it Eurasia?
The best games.. are those that sell you what you've bought already.

(There does indeed appear to be an element of doublethink going on in that statement..)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Goddamnit EA. Just smoosh a pie in your own face, will you?

building a massively multiplayer experience.
Firstly, SimCity is not an Massively Multiplayer Online game. When I play planetside 2 there are 2,000 people on the server and I can interact with them. In Sim City, you can get 16, max. One of these has to be always online, the other could be hosted locally. Just for comparison, Starcraft which came out in 1998, had 8 players max; and they had far more direct interaction than what Sim City offers.

If you play an MMO, you don't demand an offline mode, you just don't. And in fact, SimCity started out and felt like an MMO more than anything else and it plays like an MMO.
So it started out as an MMO... did it change at some point? Because, unlike your second point, it doesn't fucking play like an MMO at all. It plays like 16 people sitting in a room, each on their own table, playing a game of solitaire. Sometimes, they might walk up to one and other to share snacks or drinks, but that's about as far as their interaction goes.

Here's the thing, we accept always online from MMO's for one simple reason: it offers us an experience we could not otherwise gain and the game is fundamentally designed around having a massive number of players. In Sim City, the people I know who own it, just make a private region and play by themselves because they PREFER it that way.

Have you ever been in a dying MMO and tried to play it? They suck ass, because no one is around, the economy is messed up and you can't party with anyone. Even if you like soloing monsters, there are benefits to being online like auction house, chat, etc; to a true MMO.

when you're building entertainment... you don't always know what the customer is going to want.
Except, you know, over a year ago when everyone begged you guys to remove the always online when you announced it. Every gaming news site had articles on it, petitions were signed, and I know for a fact some very early press hands on talked about it and asked you guys to consider removing it. You knew damn fucking well we didn't want this in the game, and if you didn't, then someone has royally fucked up because the backlash over a year ago wasn't subtle.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Timzilla said:
If the whole point was to make an MMO like game, then why not just add an "Online" subtitle? That way atleast the consumer has an idea what the focus is and what they're getting into. Is anyone really gonna complain when "SimCity:Online" needs a connection?
The issue is that Simcity is really not a MMO.... like at all. Civ 5 is more of a MMO then SimCity because atleast then you're interacting with other people when you play online.

I read the Title and thought "OMG they finally read the paper I wrote 8 years ago on how nothing positive can actually come from DRM!" then I read the article and remembered that this was EA and that this was another PR scam trying to weasel out of the shit storm that rages around EA's higher rung.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
wgar said:
Uhhh what? They built an MMO; can't make that offline mate. If you knew the first thing about video game design you'd realise that.
No mate, they didn't.

They made a predominantly offline single player game, then tied it to authentication servers with two lines (count 'em) of code, two.