EA Exec: Games Aren't "Mass Market" Yet

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
and they still havent learned. now trying every possibility to claim that they are not the worst company....again. seriously, every week there is at least 2 articles about ?A and their retarded business scheme or claims that they are are good and make great games.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I'm not sure I understand where they're going with with the whole "TV is where the money is". This article confused me a bit.
As for "providing value for the customer". That phrase coming from them is nothing if not smirk inducing.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I suprised they haven't already turned their IPs in to TV shows already...

Mother of Dog!

This kind of reeks of 'gamers don't like us any more, so fuck those guys!'. If at first you don't succeed, burn your bridges and pedal your wares to someone else who doesn't know how shit you are at your job.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Well, I guess it's only natural for a tumor to spread to and infect other parts of the body.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
And in some alternate universe, the way EA is steadily headed towards the cliff turns out to be a viral marketing stunt for their reimagining of Lemmings: Corporate Edition.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
How are they going to water down their games any further at this point?

Genocidicles said:
Ah yes! 'Unique value' for the customer!

Presumably with tons more 'unique value' that can be purchased and added to the game in the form of handy microtransactions?
Well, that's the unique value. The exact, scientifically-determined number we're worth to them. >.>

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
I suprised they haven't already turned their IPs in to TV shows already...

Mother of Dog!

This kind of reeks of 'gamers don't like us any more, so fuck those guys!'. If at first you don't succeed, burn your bridges and pedal your wares to someone else who doesn't know how shit you are at your job.
What the hell did I just watch?

Also -

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
I was going to go in about how this was a bad idea.

Then I remembered that shows like Meet the Kardashians are popular so EA, go right ahead.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Oh good, because I really needed more justification for my decision to not buy products from EA anymore. -_-

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
It seems like EA is seeing big markets that DON'T play games ( probably for reasons...) and saying "hey! look at all these people not playing our games! We need to throw more games at them and they'll surely give us all their moneys!"

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on to saying something like "Hey! People like food, right? Let's shove a gameboy into all the meat, and embed apps onto the vegetables! People will love us for that, right?! RIGHT?!"

It's pretty sad, really.

EA, you guys have millions of people who ALREADY know you exist, and would buy your games if they weren't consistently moneygrubbing, rushed, low quality, anti-consumer, DRM using shit. Maybe you should, you know, solidify your existing consumer base who are growing wise to your bullshit instead of trying to herd in a new gang of lemmings to scam with your bullshit.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
Can someone take away EA's guns so they can stop shooting themselves in the foot? Cause at this point there should be nothing left but a stump

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Ah, EA. Pioneer in 'broad appeal' game development, i.e. making games so generic and/or ripped off from current popular titles. With the justification that there's lots of people that like CoD, so that's obviously a huge market. Except that people who like playing CoD already have CoD. The idea that you can also make money if you make a game on a modest budget for a niche audience that is more likely to buy your game (because other companies aren't 20 making nearly identical games every year) never seems to occur to them.

And now that that strategy has send them down the toilet, they double down and declare that the problem is that they aren't appealing to a broad enough audience yet. Or maybe they're just hoping to get a whole new customer base that they haven't pissed off yet.

Prediction: EA will make watered down barely-games, most TV users won't bother because they prefer watching TV. The fraction of TV viewers that does become a customer will not compensate for the loss of their previous gamer audience, who leave because the new 'games' are tailored to people who don't play games.

And when their next CEO leaves in disgrace, EA will conclude that the problem is that they're still catering to too small audience, and will move into the food industry, because that's a customer base of 7 billion people who regularly use food. EA will try to muscle into this market by focus-testing for the most popular foodstuffs wordwide, and then create meals that use the top-10 most popular in a single meal, because that way their choclate-rice-chicken-cheese-burger with ham and ice cream will have the broadest possible appeal. Salt, peper and any other spices or conditiments will be sold as separate DLC.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
'On the next episode of "Dr EA And The Quest For The Mass-Market Money", Dr EA decides to start bundling crack-cocaine with his games in his search for that elusive cash horde.

Dr EA- "Here, my treat. I'll even throw in a free crack pipe if you just buy this copy of Dead Space 3! Whaddya say?"

Meanwhile, his pretty assistant Miss Maxis strikes a new business approach... by giving out free hookers with every copy of SimCity.

Miss Maxis: "This game may blow, but not as much as Trixie. Come on, try it."

Will Dr EA finally find that golden stash of cash he's been looking for? Will Miss Maxis ever make a good game again? Will little Bobby Bioware ever manage to ask Stephanie Meyer out to the Prom?

Tune in next week to find out... only on "Dr EA And The Quest For The Mass-Market Money"
'

...I swear, EA's turned into a goddamn soap opera these days.
Can I say this is potentially the best thing I've read all day?

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
I'm not sure I understand what he means. They want to sell games that are actually ran by a "smart" TV? What do you control them with, the remote? Does every TV manufacturer make their own crappy controller? Can I play "Tapped Out" by prodding my TV in the future?

If they want a bigger market for simpler games, why not back Ouya or something instead?