EA Exec: Shigeru Miyamoto "Falling Down on the Job"

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Allspice said:
WeepingAngels said:
Allspice said:
No, I'm not saying they aren't in direct competition. They are. My point was that comparing the sales of a mobile game to that of a handheld's is pointless because of how cheap mobile games are and the fact that pretty much everyone has a phone. Of course Angry Birds "sold" more than the last Pokemon games, it's free.

I did hear about that abomination. Damn it Capcom.
So if we can't compare mobile games to handheld games even though they really are in direct competition....where do we go from here.

Let me repeat what you said...Damn it Capcom.
I'm talking purely about sales numbers. It doesn't matter how much a free game sells because it's free, that skews the numbers. Almost everyone will try something that's free. It's more impressive when a $35 game sells 14 million copies, IMHO.

I do think the revenue they bring in is something you can compare between them though. Not specific games, but in general.
Well, I paid for Angry Birds and within an hour, I was angry that I did. LOL

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
And why the fuck would you refer to Jobs as 'the dead guy from Cupertino'?
Because every time a company speaks the name of Jobs they have to sacrifice an intern to appease his vengeful spirit.

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
Allspice said:
WeepingAngels said:
Allspice said:
No, I'm not saying they aren't in direct competition. They are. My point was that comparing the sales of a mobile game to that of a handheld's is pointless because of how cheap mobile games are and the fact that pretty much everyone has a phone. Of course Angry Birds "sold" more than the last Pokemon games, it's free.

I did hear about that abomination. Damn it Capcom.
So if we can't compare mobile games to handheld games even though they really are in direct competition....where do we go from here.

Let me repeat what you said...Damn it Capcom.
I'm talking purely about sales numbers. It doesn't matter how much a free game sells because it's free, that skews the numbers. Almost everyone will try something that's free. It's more impressive when a $35 game sells 14 million copies, IMHO.

I do think the revenue they bring in is something you can compare between them though. Not specific games, but in general.
Well, I paid for Angry Birds and within an hour, I was angry that I did. LOL
XD I would have been too, it's fun for a little while but it won't keep you interested beyond...ten to 20 minutes maybe. I don't even really play it anymore, if I'm out somewhere and bored I play Fruit Ninja. I swear the people who made that had to have played Rhythm Heaven directly before. It's exactly like that one mini game with the dog ninja, except you don't have to slice the fruit in time to the music.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm sorry... he is incorrect, he is comparing apples to oranges. Miyamoto didn't just make cow clickers that try to steal your money or experiences that begin and end in 5 minutes with little no memory of them. His games defined the ways the whole industry worked for decades. He didn't sell 5 minutes experiences. Games from the dead guy from Cupertino... well any disrespect for the dead aside, he didn't make a platform that is well suited for memorable or defining experiences, in my opinion. And EA isn't either with their push to mobile. Miyamoto made icons, the only icon from mobile games are the obnoxious angry birds.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
neppakyo said:
The way this guy looks and speaks.. anyone else getting an urge to smack him in the face?
I am never not in the mood to smack EA employees in the face. So it's hard to distinguish...

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
I'd say that's partly true. They do have DLC. But it would seem there is a drastic difference in its implementation. DLC on Nintendo devices - especially with respect to their first party properties - doesn't seem to beat the user over the head with it in the same way as other publishers and developers. And I have yet to see on-disc content held hostage. Full - disclosure, I'm not immensely familiar with every recent Nintendo title so I could be wrong in thinking this kind of brow-beating never occurs with Nintendo when it comes to DLC; but from what I have observed, if it does happen, it happens rarely enough that they correctly have the reputation for not being counted among the far more obnoxious peddlers.

Additionally, from what I've observed with respect to DLC from Nintendo, is that it is not essential to fully complete a game. I've not seen any DLC that makes the user feel that they must make an additional purchase, in order to experience the game as intended.

While the DLC is indeed there, it certainly does appear that because of the lack of prominence of it being referenced as you interact with the game, and because of the lack of on-disc content being held hostage to squeeze more money out of the user, and because of the lack of content needed to fulfill the experience as intended, Nintendo - moreso than others - still feels like a company that lets the user buy and play a game with little to nothing else to actually worry about.

That aside, this guy... seems like a jerk. Even if I agree that Nintendo could improve on many things including creating new first-party ip's, and even if I agree that they could do well to be more aware of what and where their competition is, he comes accross as an obnoxious, tasteless, hyppocrite.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013

Good Lord that was a funny joke...unless he was serious? Have you seen 3DS sales sir? Now for Wii U there is an argument to be made there are things wrong with it, but Nintendo doing poorly on the handheld front? Come on man, stop the trollin'.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
This guy is making what I consider the absolute biggest mistake that major corporations make all the damn time. Don't TELL your customers what they want, LISTEN to what they want and then deliver.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
TheScottishMexican42 said:
Hardly. Nintendo have only had a few missteps. The mobile platform is hardly the go to platform for kids, especially with all the in-app purchases.
Did you guys hear about the Office of Fair Trading wanted to crack down on IAP because of the "potentially unfair and aggressive commercial practices" they have? At least with Nintendo you have the game and that's it.

That comment about Steve Jobs seemed a bit tasteless as well if you ask me.

All in all, it's another example of someone from EA becoming a major ass.
Honestly even with my S4 I wouldn't use it as a gaming machine, fact is gaming chews up power and smart phone have enough issues trying to stay alive for a whole day without a videogame sucking up all the power. Typical stupid EA missing the point completly, atleast if my Vita or 3DS dies during the day from over use my phone still works :-/

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
weirdguy said:
yeah, he's going to be eating his wordshit when pokemon is released
and the next Monster Hunter comes over, and Zelda comes out, and ... you see where I'm going with this ^^

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Look like EA is feeling irrelevant again, better say some more shit to stir up controversy.
Seriously, lets treat this fellow as we would anyone else online: Largely ignore him and hope he shuts up.
Honestly, if this isn't a ploy for publicity (if it keeps your name in the news, it is publicity), then the way people keep trying to repeat this same garbage seems very much like the idea of repeating a lie often enough.

The biggest issue with the actual argument is the inability to distinguish between gamers as hobbyist and people who play games. They are close, and the line blurs a lot, but generally the hobbyist wants to invest into the hobby to explore it deeper. Kids tend to be good hobbyist in that regard for shorter bursts, but it is always a smaller subset that stick with a hobby as a hobby rather then as a passing interest. The ones who are buying apps on the other hand don't have the same sort of habits that sustain an industry. Nintendo knows this I have to imagine, as they have remained relevant for decades without changing their target demographic. Hell, if sales of the portable systems are any indication, they don't have any problems with getting and maintaining the demographic they are targeting and are able to keep a reliable audience, the very idea that the app market is often threatened to crash because of. Listening to this has me wonder what information has this guy seen, because looking at things myself, I see the most renowned handheld series in gaming with massive sales even today being claimed it is dying because of the habits of people playing angry birds on the can. That is like saying movies are dying because of the people who watch netflix.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Hmm, let's see... Wikipedia tells me that the 3DS (in all its various configurations) had sold almost 32.5 million units from March '11 to June '13. If that's "falling down on the job", I'd like to throw myself at the office floor.

[small]You still mad about Dead Space 3's sales, EA?[/small]

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Richard Hilleman can suck our collective dicks. He's an ass hat...

and he's right. When I was a kid I played on my gameboy color, and when I was at home I had my N64. Now? My little brother plays on his phone, or on the family ipad. He sometimes touches the Xbox, but otherwise he uses the app store to play $1 games for long periods of time. I don't think mobile games will kill hardcore games, but there's no doubt that they're eating into the child market. That could be one reason, among many others, that there are so few kid games anymore.

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
I've had a different experience. Kids play Angry Birds and Minion Rush, but the gameplay is so unrewarding that they get bored very quickly. That's why they have to make so many Angry Birds. And AB: Star Wars is not aimed at kids. Sad to say kids don't give flying fowl about a nostalgia property like Star Wars.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Yes well, don't include me in your group because my favorite places to play video games haven't changed one bit and i don't own a tablet or mobile phone.