WeepingAngels said:
Allspice said:
WeepingAngels said:
Allspice said:
WeepingAngels said:
Allspice said:
WeepingAngels said:
Nuxxy said:
Nintendo out of touch with kids? They ARE Pokemon, which means they have the biggest title in portable kids gaming since 1996. And that is just ONE title.
That's right, it's just one title. What else do they have on handhelds that is setting the world on fire?

How do Pokemon sales compare that shitfest known as Angry Birds?
Is that really a fair comparison when one costs $40 and the other is free-$.99 depending on the version you get?
What would you like to compare against Nintendo's most successful handheld franchise?
One of another handheld's would make more sense. Mobile and handhelds are so different they can't be compared. A phone is something almost everyone has and no one buys one specifically for gaming. It just also happens to have that functionality and a lot of good ones, like Angry Birds, are free. The same can't be said for a handheld.
Are you saying that handhelds and mobiles aren't in competition? I have Angry Birds on my PSP/Vita (I bought it because of the hype and was quickly disappointed). I keep seeing major Japanese companies putting their new games on mobile instead of handhelds. Here's an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_mobile_games

What JRPG fan can forget the slap in the face that is Breath of Fire 6. http://www.destructoid.com/breath-of-fire-6-coming-next-year-you-ll-be-sad-to-learn-259147.phtml

As I watch my favorite franchises get releases on mobile and not on my beloved handhelds...I think they are in direct competition.
No, I'm not saying they aren't in direct competition. They are. My point was that comparing the sales of a mobile game to that of a handheld's is pointless because of how cheap mobile games are and the fact that pretty much everyone has a phone. Of course Angry Birds "sold" more than the last Pokemon games, it's free.

I did hear about that abomination. Damn it Capcom.
So if we can't compare mobile games to handheld games even though they really are in direct competition....where do we go from here.

Let me repeat what you said...Damn it Capcom.
Just a note to the conversation, cellphone games aren't a new thing that Japan picked up when everyone else did. They've been doing little rpgs on phones since 2004 or 2005. Square Enix in particular has been a big backer of it which is why Advent Children paid so much attention to everyone's shiny flip phones.

Arcanite Ripper

May 1, 2010
He kinda looks like Steve Jobs actually if you shave the ridiculous receding mullet.

But there are a few points to agree on here, despite all the deaf-ears potshots at developers much MUCH more talented then him, and in the article posted his points are at a moreorless 50% success rate.

Nintendo is having problems. Their line of consoles and games are becoming increasingly restrictive, where main stress factors include the all-too-familiar list:

-High-innovation consoles that circle around Motion Control (Oh I know, that's a LOONNNNNNNGGG drawn-out argument that's been beaten and rebeaten, yet saddingly its incompatability still holds up for the Wii-U)

-Static IP either re-released or rehashed from previous property, either in the form of sequel's or third-party revisions

-Major incompatibility with third-party game developers, intertwining with point 2 as Nintendo is ever-forced almost to carry its game lineup by itself

-Decrease of multiplayer interest, again connected to point 2 and now point 1 where additional control is possibly subdued for financial reasons, and lastly

-Time lengths between content, which encircles all of the previous points.

Its shortcomings may have left opprotunity that are now being absorbed by iOS/Android/Allthatshit games. It is a cheaper, more conveinent alternative that doesn't require bigger inputs of money and skill, all divided by increasingly bigger blocks of time. Tolerance of these factors are becoming harder to achieve and more determinant of brand loyalty.

I also agree that focus in software over hardware development is the only way a gaming business can progress. Before it was typical that big producers overtook console production, and lesser companies there games. It's the grave nintendo has been digging since the Wii, where third-party compatibility/game production strugguled with the console innovation.

From a chief customer officer however, it is staggering how his better points are contradictory with EA's track record. They can't make Battlefield on every console, but they have been trying. His focus on software updates gives me haunting reminders of EA DLC, and then saying that'll scale back to reliance of physical sales is a headscratcher on their policy.

I also don't agree that customers looking for single fabrics of gameplay is a main concern anymore. I think that describes "Console Wars", and without wanting to open a whole new can of worms entirely the Internet and more multi-platform releases then ever are quickly dissolving arguments where my Xbox has more cylinders then your PS3 or whatever.

Oh, and he likes his phrases. "We are in continuous change" and "Key strategic resource for the future" are total psuedointellect backpocket bullshit that saucy up sociology papers.

So what's to take from this? He's right, he's wrong, he sounds outlandish and surreal, his arguments are against his company, and his suggestions are either old-news or have no precedence to working.

Phew. That's alot of words.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Nintendo might be doing pretty bad these days especially with the Wii U.. but i don't think it's fair to blame it on Shigeru Miyamoto.. it's the stubborn people in charge on Nintendo that refuse to change and do things to help the company, not Miyamoto. and to hear EA say this? it's like blaming a voice actor for the problems with the developer that made the game he did a voice in.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
By mobile platform i assume he means smart phone apps? But despite the fact the Wii U is failing Nintendo is still turning a profit almost purely because of the 3DS, yh its still got a pretty strong market

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Sleekit said:
the 3DS platform is making Wii money and real people people don't dish out smartphones to "kids" doc.

every single one of my nieces and nephews and the children of my cousins have "gameboys" of some description but i know of none under high school starting age that have their own smartphone.

none.
Anecdotal evidence =/= "Everyone is in this situation".

Both of my cousins have had iPhones and iPads since around the ages of 8-10, which was a fair few years now.

Tanis said:
"might be a bit too much more-of-the-same"

Seriously?
From E-A?
From *insert sport here* yearly, basically overpriced DLC
From CoD yearl, basically overpriced DLC.
etc/etc/etc?

Hah..no, it's not funny, it's pathetic and sad.
I always love these types of posts. It never fails to be hilarious when people hate EA and Call of Duty so much that they think the two are actually linked.

OT: I feel like the only reason people are being so dismissive about this is because it's EA. Or maybe the regular anti-Nintendo guys just haven't seen this thread yet, I don't know, but whenever you bring up Nintendo anywhere there always seems to be the legions of "Nintendo hasn't had an original idea in years!" guys coming out to do battle with the Nintendo Defense Force, so it's a tad amusing to me that because the first shot was fired from the likes of EA, suddenly the battle is entirely one-sided.

Anyway, his reasoning is stupid, but I don't necessarily disagree with the overall sentiment about Nintendo. Kirby is the only first-party property I really care about. I may buy Pokemon X/Y and I'll likely get the next Super Smash Bros. and Wind Waker HD if I ever get a Wii U, but even the other Zelda games haven't ever really interested me enough for me to finish them, and I'm not really sure how much less I could actually care about Mario or Starfox or F-Zero (that one mostly because I've never played one) or Metroid if Other M is any indication of where the stories are going to go in that franchise, or Pikmin or even Donkey Kong, which is arguably the only other Nintendo platformer I'm relatively fond of.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
vagabondwillsmile said:
I'd say that's partly true. They do have DLC. But it would seem there is a drastic difference in its implementation. DLC on Nintendo devices - especially with respect to their first party properties - doesn't seem to beat the user over the head with it in the same way as other publishers and developers. And I have yet to see on-disc content held hostage. Full - disclosure, I'm not immensely familiar with every recent Nintendo title so I could be wrong in thinking this kind of brow-beating never occurs with Nintendo when it comes to DLC; but from what I have observed, if it does happen, it happens rarely enough that they correctly have the reputation for not being counted among the far more obnoxious peddlers.

Additionally, from what I've observed with respect to DLC from Nintendo, is that it is not essential to fully complete a game. I've not seen any DLC that makes the user feel that they must make an additional purchase, in order to experience the game as intended.

While the DLC is indeed there, it certainly does appear that because of the lack of prominence of it being referenced as you interact with the game, and because of the lack of on-disc content being held hostage to squeeze more money out of the user, and because of the lack of content needed to fulfill the experience as intended, Nintendo - moreso than others - still feels like a company that lets the user buy and play a game with little to nothing else to actually worry about.

That aside, this guy... seems like a jerk. Even if I agree that Nintendo could improve on many things including creating new first-party ip's, and even if I agree that they could do well to be more aware of what and where their competition is, he comes accross as an obnoxious, tasteless, hyppocrite.
From the two games I've seen Nintendo DLC implemented in (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Fire Emblem) it's really easy to forget that the DLC even exists. They integrate them in such a way that they aren't in your way, and they feel like it is part of the game.
In the mystery dungeon series, you can purchase DLC in game. However the DLC section is under the guise of an adorable Hoppip( or some other pokemon, I can't remember.) shopkeeper that is put way off to the generally less used area of the game.
The same with FE: Awakening. The place to get your DLC is covered up as another "secion" of the game titled as a portal, and once again, is put off to the wayside of the game. Half the time I even forgot it existed.

The price points are reasonable too. None of the DLC ever really exceeds $3.00. and the combo packs tend to be worth it at $4.00 seeing as how said packs usually contain 6 DLC in one.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Who the hell is this hippie Steve Jobs clone?

And why the hell should I care what a company that's notorious for producing shit games has to say?

Especially when he basically took a shit on the most respected developers of videogame history, by comparing him to somebody that's not even comparable to Miyamoto?

Bloody Christ, EA.

We get it. Your still sad that Nintendo didn't roll over for you and let you fuck up their Wii U with your shitty Origin online infrastructure.

freedash22

Jun 7, 2013
Maybe Miyamoto is simply having trouble fulfilling EA's warped vision of what mobile games should be. That or he simply doesn't agree with EA's top brass on how to move forward with mobile gaming.

When news like this comes out from a company with this kind of PR track record...
"Boo" is my first thought.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
Hero of Lime said:

Good Lord that was a funny joke...unless he was serious? Have you seen 3DS sales sir? Now for Wii U there is an argument to be made there are things wrong with it, but Nintendo doing poorly on the handheld front? Come on man, stop the trollin'.
Here's the issue:

People keep talking about the 3DS but don't realize the best selling handheld is like the best selling pager. An outdated device that was replaced by smart phones.

factor in the fact smart phones and tablets are now universal babysitters for children since EVERYONE has one, and you get a recipe for disaster for any kid reliant company like nintendo. It relies on getting them into nintendo early.

Apple alone shipped 75 million phones in a single year. Not counting tablets. That is a lot of kids being babysat. We now live in a world where Angry Birds and Candy Crush are now just as well known as Mario. That should scare every single person in this thread.

Mobile gaming makes more money, has more units out, and is eating hand helds alive. You may keep pointing to how "well" its doing in its own vacuum of a market, but place it against anything else and its unimpressive.

Mobile has saturated the kid market, and Nintendo isn't doing anything about it. If it doesn't do anything long enough, its fan base will age and die with no one to replace them.
You said it yourself in it's market vacuum the 3DS is doing well, most markets are meant to be vacuums in their own right. Even if they are similar technology, there is enough difference between smartphones and dedicated handhelds, just as there is a difference between home consoles and handhelds. Until you can get truly fleshed out games on smartphones, which may or may not happen, gamers will value a Nintendo or Sony handheld over a smartphone or tablet.

I agree the young kids are a bit different, but not all kids will want quick smart phone games either. Plus, you mention that the parents will just give their kids a smart phone to keep them busy, but don't forget all the parents who will prefer to pass down their love of dedicated handhelds. If I become a parent someday, and handhelds are still around, I will want my kids to play Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda rather than Angry Birds 14. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way.

I can't predict the future, but I feel like the 3DS and its sales have proven people looking for more substantial handheld experiences will buy a dedicated handheld device. Let's not forget Japan, smartphones may be big there too, but handhelds are super successful in Japan. They won't settle for cheap one dollar games either.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Oh wow EA, so your stooping to insults towards a man THE MAN with much a more successful business, PR, and track record of games?
Can't wait to see this moron eat his words when a game like SSB WiiU/3DS comes out, sells like hotcakes, and completely and utterly annihilate his argument like a nuclear bomb.

It boggles my mind just how stupid they act, they're literally at Super Saiyan levels of stupidity at this point... i...its just... I need to lie down and ignore this for an eternity.
WeepingAngels said:
Allspice said:
WeepingAngels said:
Allspice said:
WeepingAngels said:
Nuxxy said:
Nintendo out of touch with kids? They ARE Pokemon, which means they have the biggest title in portable kids gaming since 1996. And that is just ONE title.
That's right, it's just one title. What else do they have on handhelds that is setting the world on fire?

How do Pokemon sales compare that shitfest known as Angry Birds?
Is that really a fair comparison when one costs $40 and the other is free-$.99 depending on the version you get?
What would you like to compare against Nintendo's most successful handheld franchise?
One of another handheld's would make more sense. Mobile and handhelds are so different they can't be compared. A phone is something almost everyone has and no one buys one specifically for gaming. It just also happens to have that functionality and a lot of good ones, like Angry Birds, are free. The same can't be said for a handheld.
Are you saying that handhelds and mobiles aren't in competition? I have Angry Birds on my PSP/Vita (I bought it because of the hype and was quickly disappointed). I keep seeing major Japanese companies putting their new games on mobile instead of handhelds. Here's an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_mobile_games

What JRPG fan can forget the slap in the face that is Breath of Fire 6. http://www.destructoid.com/breath-of-fire-6-coming-next-year-you-ll-be-sad-to-learn-259147.phtml

As I watch my favorite franchises get releases on mobile and not on my beloved handhelds...I think they are in direct competition.
Oh gawd, you just had to go and bring up Breath of Fire 6... I need to go lie down for another eternity. Damn it Capcom.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Fappy said:
EA's PR department has got to be the most stressful place to work in the US. Either that or they have office parties everyday and they're too drunk to notice when their employees say idiotic things on their company's behalf.
They treat their programmers really badly from what I hear too.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Hero of Lime said:
I can't predict the future, but I feel like the 3DS and its sales have proven people looking for more substantial handheld experiences will buy a dedicated handheld device. Let's not forget Japan, smartphones may be big there too, but handhelds are super successful in Japan. They won't settle for cheap one dollar games either.
But from what I know from the market of Japan, it's more predicated on just the one game that they would want to play. So, if a dragon quest game would go to smartphones or other device, even if it's a toaster, I'm pretty sure they would buy exactly that thing to play dragon quest. I think monster hunter 4 over there is also a clue as to what kind of market it is.

As for the topic: Sad to hear it from this guy, but the company he's working for makes me worry if it's him talking or the PR talking. Both are bad signs for sure. Not that EA wanted more bad signs...

Still, I will enjoy it while it lasts. Playing Monster hunter 3 ultimate solo, enjoying it and the challenge, have got to play etrian odyssey IV to completion and pokemon is in the wings later on for me... I don't think I'll be bored with my 3DS for a while now. Plus I've got a PC with a multitude of games on it, all through steam. Maybe I should go through my library a bit more...

Where was I going with that? Anyway, I think the 3DS is fine as is. Well, actually not, but that has to do with the marketing. Hope the 2DS is a success in that regard. Though it might confuse people, hrm...

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
prpshrt said:
They treat their programmers really badly from what I hear too.
Don't be silly. EA has always treated its programmers and devs well. Remember Pandemic, for starters? Or the guys behind the Ultima franchise?

... Yeah, I'll shut up now.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
I'm sorry but...You don't go and insult Shigeru Miyamoto if you want people to like you.

This is the equivalent of George W. Bush looking at Abraham Lincoln and going "Hey, Lincoln was wack, I'm much better." Only Bush would start it with a "My fellow Americans" and then use a word he randomly made up on the spot.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Right. That's why the 3Ds is still selling like gangbusters, correct? Because they've lost the child crowd, uh-huH?

Seriously, fuck EA. All the good will they had gained just evaporated.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Talking shit about a big name publisher/developer kinda reeks of insecurity on the other publisher/developer's part...
Tanis said:
"might be a bit too much more-of-the-same"

Seriously?
From E-A?
From *insert sport here* yearly, basically overpriced DLC
From CoD yearl, basically overpriced DLC.
etc/etc/etc?

Hah..no, it's not funny, it's pathetic and sad.
Do not compare Battlefield to Call of Duty. Battlefield isn't a yearly release, nor does it just RESKIN everything, nor does the game favor unintelligent twitch based competitive multiplayer.

EA may do a lot of shitty things but DICE is one of the few parts of them that TRIES to do good. At least the BF games come out only every other year (nowadays), TYPICALLY provide SOME form of significant gameplay improvement (BF4's improved commander mode, destruction engine, gun customization and even further expansion on vehicular combat, not to mention potential improvements to the scoring system like how BF3 improved means of scoring points through non-kill based actions like suppressive fire scores, resupplies/heals. vehicle disabling and much more) and have massive maps that favor teamwork and cooperation versus lone wolf thinking.

And the DLC for BF3 also provided a lot of stuff, from new ideas for map dynamics like Aftermath, returns of favorite gameplay modes such as CTF, vehicle only/change of gameplay styled packs like Armored Kill and its introduction of the Tank Destroyer class to tanks...

Shit on EA and its decisions all you want but seriously, leave battlefield out of it, it's one of the FEW things they don't ROYALLY fuck up on a regular basis. It's one of the few bread winning things they haven't completely fucked with yet...

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Why single out Miyamoto, considering he just designs things and typically doesn't have anything to do with system development, let alone marketing and sale channels? Even Satoru Iwata is more relevant to invoke. Either way, EA's strategy hasn't been working out for them either, so it's not like they're really in the position to criticise Nintendo for sticking with what they know. The 3DS is my favourite system, possibly of all time, and even though I own a smartphone and play games on it (Kairosoft's sims so good oh man), they still won't supplant the fuller experiences of any of Nintendo's portable systems and games. And last I checked, Activision didn't have any problems getting a slice of the 3DS money pie with its Skylander line of game-toy hybrids, so EA just seems incredibly foolish to write off a whole segment of the market just because.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
I'll take a nintendo system and all it's offerings (excluding virtual boy) over every game EA has ever put out and the means to play them all.