EA Exec: Xbox One and PS4 Are "A Generation Ahead" Of PC

NWJ94

Feb 21, 2013
XB1/PS4 will be nice, and probably better then a current computer for about the same price for 12-18 months after release, but "generation ahead" what's your comparison a microwave from the 90s?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
*sigh* No, they're not. And for a chief technologist to spout such nonsense just makes him look unfit for his post.

I don't doubt they'll be powerful machines, capable of bringing terrific experiences to gamers on their 1080p televisions. Likewise, I'm sure the predictability of mass-produced specs and all-in-one design will have their advantages.

But if you think a mass-produced $500 box has more straight-up power than a custom designed one costing upwards of $2,000 with hand-picked components from the best that companies specializing in their fields have to offer, you have very little grasp of technology or how markets work.

That demo for Watch Dogs that were wowing everyone? They weren't running on prototype Sony or Microsoft hardware. That was running on a PC.

Come up with another excuse for why you aren't porting your stuff to PC, boys. You have years of practice at this bullshit, but this one isn't flying.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's always fun to see people talk shit. I can't wait to see how his words measure up to reality.

Edit: Can someone please tell me what exactly a generation is in terms of video game systems? Like, what technological change defines a generation?

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Well, the cpu is either console is around the same raw performance of a dual core ivy bridge at 2ghz assuming perfect module communication for the two quad core 'blocks'. So, about 25% the performance of my 2.5 year old mid range cpu.

the gpus are distinctly lower mid range, so better than the cpu, but still half the performance of the current upper mid range like the gtx670 that many builders use.

so, erm, derp?

I'm guessing they need this kind of press becuse a 350 pound pc will be as fast as the xbone on the Gpu side, but much faster on the cpu side. The ps4 will be around 400 for a pc equivalent. I am including windows in that total too :D

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Really Taneja? S@£t. I think it's time you bought yourself a new pc, your pc must be still running windows xp.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Let's imagine he's correct (although from the specs I've seen so far, it's pure WTFery).

In one year, the positions will be reversed.

AGAIN.

Stop advertising yourself as "more powerful than PCs". At best, you're going to have to quietly drop the ads alarmingly fast, and at worst, it'll be irrelevant before your console even enters the market.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
It's weird when people in the business say this, because the computers that they use to make the games with phat grafix to run on consoles have to be more powerful than said consoles.

Someone got their vacation money to look stupid to gamers who can think, I guess.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
and even though my rig isn't to-date and in serious need of a GPU upgrade, I still couldn't care less. My PC still offers better service than the XB1 one will and I'm only tempted to get a PS4 if they have good exclusives that justify buying it while upgrading my rig. Graphics might be nice but gameplay and service are far more important, there's a reason my N64 is still plugged into my *gasp* SDTV.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Ahahahahahaha! I built most of my pc 3 years ago, and I still have better stats than the Xbox one and PS4 (Exception is processor, have better clock speed but fewer cores). Only thing I upgraded was my graphics card recently to a 680.

God, the industry as a whole has just been painful to listen to the last few days.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I think I got dumber readin that. Even if its true (which there is practically 0 chance of it bein right, but lets roll with it), it wont stay true for more than a year. Hell, it probably wont even be true by the time the actual systems launch this year.

Why the fuck would he bother tryin to compare a PC to a console? It will never ever make a console look good unless they use the tippy top of the high end stuff which means they'll eat a gigantic loss on consoles, somethin Sony and Microsoft absolutely can not take right now (especially Sony).

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Another said:
Ahahahahahaha! I built most of my pc 3 years ago, and I still have better stats than the Xbox one and PS4 (Exception is processor, have better clock speed but fewer cores). Only thing I upgraded was my graphics card recently to a 680.

God, the industry as a whole has just been painful to listen to the last few days.
The cpu is more akin to the kind of cpus you find in tablets. It's not a match for even a modern dual core. Anandtech have an article on the jaguar architecture. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic architecture from amd, but it's a netbook one, not a high performance one (i.e. desktop pc and normal sized laptop) like Intel core or amd bulldozer.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Kargathia said:
Honestly, that's troll bait if ever I saw it.
My knowledge of PC's and PC gaming can be visually expressed by the number zero and yet even I can see the bait there. In terms of sheer, raw, power the PS4 and XBone are going to stay on one constant level while PC's just get stronger and stronger. Maybe right this instant the PS4 and XBone are more powerful than gaming PC's (right this moment as I type) but before the end of the third year Laptops with enough shit in it will out-stripe both consoles.

Also, as someone has already said, PC's today offer more services than the PS4/XBone but more conveniently and, without additional bullshit fees.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
This is clearly aimed at the part of Console owners who don't know much about PC's and gaming rigs in particular. Everybody who knows even a little bit about gaming PC's can see that his claim is not true now and much less so 2 years down the road.

If he would have said ahed of "average PC's" that might be at least somewhat near the truth, but ahed of "highest-end PC's" thats just plain false.

I get that he says that for the benefit of the part of the console fandom who know nothing of PC's, but blatantly lying seems somewhat stupid.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Putting to one side the preposterous claim that the new consoles are ahead of the highest end PCs, they aren't even better than the PC I bought in November last year. I'm not trying to be a snob, I know plenty of people can't afford a gaming PC, but we're talking about expensive electronic luxuries here.

Granted, I spent a lot on my PC, but I'm still an unemployed student, not an oil baron.

I guess when this guy said "highest end" he meant "my laptop that I use for Facebook".

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Move along nothing to see here, pre-launch hype, keep moving people.

I'll say one thing about EA, when it comes to saying stupid stuff they are hard to out do, I was sure Microsoft would sweep to stupidest comment of the week with all the ham fisted Xbone announcements but no EA comes out of nowhere to steal the award at last gasp. Anyone with even a small about of knowledge knows this is pure PR bollocks. And even if this was somehow true with what we know of the specs, we only need to look at the current gen gap between pc and consoles technology wise to know the consoles would be lucky to stay ahead for a couple of months.

Perhaps the focus should be on the games EA? And not on trying to make consoles keep up with platform that will always push further ahead the minute you catch up.

Also;

The technology powering these games takes realism to a whole new level.

These next-gen platforms create dynamic, living worlds.
Has there ever been a console released that has not claimed this prior to launch?

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Octorok said:
Putting to one side the preposterous claim that the new consoles are ahead of the highest end PCs, they aren't even better than the PC I bought in November last year. I'm not trying to be a snob, I know plenty of people can't afford a gaming PC, but we're talking about expensive electronic luxuries here.

Granted, I spent a lot on my PC, but I'm still an unemployed student, not an oil baron.

I guess when this guy said "highest end" he meant "my laptop that I use for Facebook".
Maybe he meant HIS highest end PC :D he's rocking that netbook like it's 2009.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It's stupid purely for the fact that a top end PC costs around £3000, and they are selling the XBone for a tenth of that. If they were really that much better then there is no way in hell the prices would be what they are. No PC gamer would spend ten times the price of a console when it is a "generation behind".

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
I shouldn't be surprised that such a statement would be made but it's still just apallingly untrue. Hell, my laptop is three years old and it's just slightly under par of the estimated specs of the Xbone -- that's some generation surpassing stuff right there, EA.

[small]And HE'S the CTO, this explains too much about EA[/small]

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
Everyone is missing the main point of this article. The hidden kernel of truth under the PR bullshit.

EA doesn't understand computers.

Everything makes sense now. That's why EA is EA.