EA Exec: Xbox One and PS4 Are "A Generation Ahead" Of PC

Dec 16, 2009
punipunipyo said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
punipunipyo said:
Yes... it's true.... I had to admit it...looking from that mighty fine chart, and looking at the average gaming PCs out there... Xbone and PS4 IS GOING TO BE ONE GENERATION ahead of the current PCs.. The way it's made, and how the hardware is dedicated to BEAT YOUR TV, and web browsers (maybe still few generations behind firefox though..) Their hardware capacities EXCEEDS my own PC by far...So... yes Mr. spoksperson is "wright", Xbone is NOT fossil, and PS4 means one up the PCs(AND TVs); They ARE ONE GENERATION ahead...

but PC advances a generation EVERY 6 MONTH!(TAKE THAT)
the price for Xbone and PS4 to beat high end PC's would make it too pricy for Joe public.

one of the more recent high end graphics card the Titan by Nvidia costs £800. add to that everything else that needed to make a console/pc run we're looking £1000+

i doubt very much PS4 and Xbone are going to compete with that

on a side note, i dont think they need to, theres more to gaming than graphics
Consoles actually are sold lower price than the matereals it self, it's the games that the companies will profit by, not the machine, I remembered they talked about that when we were all bitching about PS3 price; console is an investment for the companies. But again... our current average PCs will be shaken by the awesome/powerful new Consoles NOW, but in like 2 years (or less) that same graphic card would be on Every One's PC; and some of us would have better, AND our computer does MORE than a console can, we should call or gaming PC "PC-ONE" because it has MORE functionality! again... like I said, PCs evolve EVERY 6 Month!
i guess we wont know until the actual specs are when they get released. but i'm betting against it beating top of the range gaming PC available now!

I would bet theres a good chance they will easily beat an average gaming pc.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
This is the pinnacle of marketing. Silly CEOs making statements with hardly any proof and deriding those who suggest otherwise (if you're backwards compatible...). Reminds me of the adverts that suckered me into buying MW3 and all the noise that accompanied it.

That aside, the Xbone is a wonderful name. Says alot about MS.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Well, I'll give him credit. His new toy probably DOES run better than my PC.

Ask me again once it gets out of the shop (Fuckin' broken heat sync) and you'll get a different answer.

But, hey. He can claim he told the truth, because for about 48 hours there was one computer somewhere that his consoles were better than, right?

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Well, he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about, so it's no wonder he's risen to the status of a Chief Technology Officer. The higher up you go in a company, the odds are the less you know anything about anything.

I don't detect any mischief if his comments - just ignorance.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Maybe he's right? But I did notice he neglected to mention that a PC generation is about 12 months ;)

Donzacuceron

Sep 22, 2012
Dryk said:
Maybe he's right? But I did notice he neglected to mention that a PC generation is about 12 months ;)
The thing is he isn't.Nvidia said the titan is 4 times more powerful than the PS4's GPU and you can buy 32GB of DDR3 ram right now in every PC store.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
He's just misleading you guys. His statement holds true,but don't get over-excited.
Indeed the microprocessor architecture generation is newer than what currently is available for the PC hardware market.
BUT while it's a new architecture,it's a new architecture designed for cheap portable devices.
It's a new architecture of APU design,and yes,the combo these console use might have similar or more power than other APUs that currently exist in the market,but those who seek performance out of a desktop computer won't buy an APU but discrete CPU and graphics card.

Take the most powerfull APU solution that currently is available on the PC market,and the xbox one's and ps4's APU will be more powerfull than that. But these APUs won't even get close to what an Intel Core i7 3930 and an AMD 6990 can do.

Cekil1

Aug 22, 2008
When will they all realize that nobody gives a damn about whether the equipment is stronger? Give us the fun games and get out, mmmkay? Earlier generations actually had to innovate instead of wasting time trying to beat the PC in power.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
Because they think eliminating backwards compatibility is legitimate grounds for "a generation ahead".

I would consider getting anyone of those consoles a downgrade... This is just history repeating itself.

So glad I left the console race to join the PCer's when I did.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Mind, I don't really care too much about the specs, I care about the quality of the games.
But this is still laughable.
Consoles are always on the losing side of that particular battle because you can't switch out the parts as you need to. Not to mention the fact that a console that had that kind of hardware that's the very top of the line right now would be incredibly expensive.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I LOVE that picture the article has... If there was ever a shit-eating grin that perfectly exemplified the smug idiocy of the gaming industry today, it's that.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
Come on guys, it's EA.

Who the hell gives two fucks about them anymore? They havent been taken seriously since *thinks* I think mid 200X's?
The only thing they knew how to do is buy up companys that made more games then them and aping Call of Duty with their Battlefield blah. ;P

And the usual Rule: even if the console was top Notch, they just can't upgrade the hardware down the runtime. while a crafty PC User gets one top Motherboard and stacks and exchanges the hardware as he needs / their income allows.

And beside that: The growing Indie Market has it's eyes mostly aimed at the PCs and Macs, since you know... easier distobution compared to console.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
The replies I've seen in this thread so far are living proof of why this marketing ploy will work VERY well - want to know why? Because of the sheer number of people who immediately relate "a generation ahead" with "more powerful" and then go on to scream "no it's not more powerful, what a joke, they are lying!" etc etc.

NOTHING about the line "a generation ahead" has anything to do with raw hardware performance, but very few people in this thread have actually picked that out.

And that is why this marketing tactic will work. Sure people here know it's not more powerful, but the very fact that so many of you guys are even ASSUMING that is enough indication of how well this will work. The untold masses out there who are less educated about technology WILL believe that XBone/PS4 are flat-out more powerful than all PC's.

/facepalm

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
As I said when the PS4 was touted as "the most powerful gaming device of all ever," every PC gamer laughed heartily in unison at this bold, and so very wrong, claim.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
No, I don't think Mr. Taneja is talking about 5GHz CPUs and a bunch of Titans when he envisions his scary super future.

I think he's talking about how great it is to turn clunky, user-built computers with random innards into locked-down, miniaturized, streamlined blackboxes.

"The iPad is so much fun, why can't every PC be a bit more like it."

He's an idiot. He also works at EA. Case closed.

GeneralBob

Oct 15, 2009
The laptop I bought 3 years ago has comparable specs to the new console generation. His statement is obviously false.

What we should take away from this is EA (or at least this dude) doesn't care about serious gamers. This type of statement is the same thing you'll hear from car commercials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dmZ6vYlkc4. "Only one vehicle has a 271 horsepower engine born from Honda's legendary racing heritage" It doesn't make sense but it sounds good to the masses. Like Honda isn't interested in selling sedans to racers, EA isn't interested in selling games to hardcore gamers, there aren't enough of us to make da big bux. It's just marketing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ghonzor said:
As I said when the PS4 was touted as "the most powerful gaming device of all ever," every PC gamer laughed heartily in unison at this bold, and so very wrong, claim.
As a device dedicated to gaming? Yes, it is, so far. All PCs are, are combinations of components from various manufacturers that are assembled in whatever manner the owner/store wants as long as the components are compatible with one another. There is no standard pc "console", if you will. PCs are also not functionally dedicated gaming machines. They are pcs used for many purposes. But that really doesn't matter so much as the ps4 will be expected to serve other media functions as well. But not word processing or video editing or several other components that remain within the pc's domain of power.

Antari said:
Sorry but hes full of shit. Even if they DO catch up to the same sort of power I'm running, it would only take me around $60-$70 to take back that edge.
You currently wouldn't be able to improve the components he was actually talking about that improve bandwidth between the components of the machine. The architecture of consoles is indeed a generation ahead of the pc's. That being said, how much does that architecture compensate for the more average components? On my pc, I can slap two more video cards into the machine to extend its life. But I can't magically create a more efficient connection between them and the rest of the machine. But two more video cards would start looking an awful lot like next gen pc processing even without that.

Since he does appear to have just been talking about the architecture and not overall processing, then he would remain correct here. Please keep in mind that he was talking about "electronics and an integrated systems-on-a -chip (soc)" architecture being a generation ahead of computers, not the video cards or CPU/GPU processing capabilities. The title of the article and the contents are misleading for that reason.

Also, if someone wanted to make the claim that these pcs are more powerful than the average home pc then they would also be correct. In that aspect, it is a generation ahead of the average home pc without being a generation ahead of the highest quality pcs on the market.