EA Gets Ready to Throw Down With Steam - UPDATED

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im actually surprised we havent seen more of this, Ill bet that both ea and activision will try and do their own digital distribution things, well activision kind of already has one with the blizzard thing

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I hope this doesn't affect my Dragon Age games on Steam. If it does I want a refund and not only that but it will stop me from wanting to EVER purchase anything from EA. They've been doing alot of things lately thats been getting under my skin but this is pushing it.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"But at the same time you talk about platform exclusives like Uncharted [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308154669&sr=8-1], EA's going to have some of our own platform exclusives."
One of the stupidest things I've heard. Star Wars is already a platform exclusive. You're making it exclusive to another "platform". A digital distribution service is not a platform, it should not have exclusives... This is really annoying... Argh. Idiots.
I'm just looking forward to seeing this tank. I can only hope Oasis dies quickly, before another game I care about is published by EA... At least I still have Crysis 2. If they pull this with Battlefield 3 as well, I think they can say goodbye to their chances of beating MW3.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I was not going to switch away from Steam in the first place, and I'm certainly not doing so for the likes of EA games...

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
The main reasons I use steam over other digital platforms (GOG aside, of course) are due to the massive amount of content and the amazingly retarded sales they have. I highly doubt that EA is going to offer anywhere close to the same amount of value. Oh, and being a cock and making your titles exclusive to your service, means that other devs/pubs are more likely to make theirs unavailable on your service. Who wants to take the bet that Activision is gonna tell EA to get fucked when it comes to their AAA titles?

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Irridium said:
And what the hell is with EA challenging everything lately?
I'm sure there is a lame EA Sports "Challenge Everything" joke I could put in there, but I'm not clever enough.

Also, Origin will tank, Crysis 2 probably just blew a few sales with the decision for it not to be on Steam.

Feb 19, 2010
i could just avoid origin buy buying, you know, a disc? ever heard of it EA?
If they pull this shite with BF3 and ME3, i will be visiting PC world more often!

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
I sure as hell hope Mass Effect 3 won't be "Origin Exclusive!" I pre-ordered Mass Effect 2 on Steam, and I plan to do the same for ME3!

AnarchistAbe said:
Starting a digital war with Steam is probably not the smartest thing EA has ever done. This will be interesting, considering Valve is part of EA Partners and all...
Probably not for long if EA keeps pulling game after game off of Steam!

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Starting a digital war with Steam is probably not the smartest thing EA has ever done. This will be interesting, considering Valve is part of EA Partners and all...

player3141

May 16, 2011
Guess who won't be buying anything from EA anytime soon? Me and a lot of other gamers.
(This includes BF3)

I also saw this coming, but I didn't think they were stupid enough to do it.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
On one hand, Steam needs competition. On the other hand, I'm not sure that competition should be EA. On another hand, it could be worse: it could be Activision. On another hand, what is this going to mean for games like Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 3?

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
want to make your own digital distribution service? cool
pull your stuff from Steam? stupid

the only way anyone can hope to beat Steam is to offer something better. That's going to be incredibly hard. As a consequence of this move, EA is likely to see a drop in sales due to fewer impulse buys from Steam.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
This is really quite amusingly stupid of EA. Taking on Steam isn't necessarily a bad idea, but making your releases exclusive to your digital service seems like a horrible way to go about it. You should be trying to secure customer loyalty by providing a service that's easy-to-use and offers the customer all sorts of incentives, such as massive sales and free games. That approach seems to be working pretty well for Steam, at least.

Also, if Mass Effect 3 is Origin-exclusive, there will be blood.

Or at least, you know, angry spittle.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Yea... I don't think EA thought this one through. Steam is basically a monopoly in the digital distribution world. If anyone should be going after them, it isn't EA, who most games look at to basically be the devil of the video game world. Not to mention the dick moves that they're doing to 'prepare' everyone for this service.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
When Steam first launched it had a lot of problems and I stayed far away from it; it wasn?t until FONV forced me to give it a try that I did ? so I understand the usefulness of requiring these services. However by the time I tried Steam it had ironed out most of its problems and I?ve really enjoyed the service since ? I?m quite skeptical EA?s service will run as nicely at launch.

Given how many people still avoid or at least distrust Steam after having negative experiences at its launch I think Origin should learn from Valve?s mistake. Foisting Origin on people now may get more people to try the service but do you really want that right from the start?

I think they?d be better off if they kept using the other digital distribution services out there, at least until Origin has launched, had a chance to straighten itself out, and started to build a positive reputation. Until then I?m not going to use it myself, and if that?s my own option for purchasing the game I?m not going to do it. I was able to delay picking up Portal for years despite the praise it got (and deserved), I can wait on any EA titles as well.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, how long is this going to last before it goes the way of the pear?

6 months?
9 months?
A year?

Considering that so far a few major publishers (Microsoft, Sony, Ubisoft, EA circa 2006) have tried to abstain from Steam and failed resoundingly, I can't see what EA thinks it's going to do besides railroading itself into another climb down.

This is a shame, guess I won't be playing BF3 on release day. I dread to think what kind of DRM the Origin store includes under the UI.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Irridium said:
So, what about people who bought it, and other EA titles on Steam? Will they still be able to play it?
This. If my break my Steam copies of Red Alert 3 and Commander's Challenge, I'll never buy one of their PC titles again. If they tried to do it with a retail copy, the owners would be able to have them charged with burglary and other such things. But digital would be okay? And no, I don't care what the EULA says. It's not law, law still overrules it, and taking something from people after they paid for it without permission is stealing.

So yeah, you want to lose money EA, fine. But break my games that I paid for and we're going to have some big problems.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Huh? I guess I won't be buying any EA games for a little while. Still, they'll realize how much money they're losing soon enough and reconsider. I just want to know why they pulled Crysis 2. Surely anyone who would follow it to a new service already has the game by now, right?