EA Launches Mass Effect 3 Discs into Space

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
I predict screaming mobs tearing each other to pieces at the projected landing sites. Because, y'know, people are dumb.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
-Find a copy.
-Take disk.
-Replace disk with a copy of Dragon Age 2.
-Hide it in the back of a Taxi/Bus.
-Watch the hoard of hairy neckbeards hoof it around the city trying to figure out where it's gone.
-Collect tears when they finally get it and it's not ME3.

Bishop99999999

Dec 6, 2007
One day, one wonderful, wonderful day, game marketing departments will consist solely of one guy whose job is to post gameplay trailers onto YouTube.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
So what was the purpose? In case some IRL Reapers come along, they can play this game so that they know that if they invade us we will mess them up?

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Oh I thought they were sending some copies of the game into space as some sort of message to aliens, probably "Don't fuck with us, we have commander Shepard."

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
I don't get how launching copies into space will affect the hype, sales or publich knowledge about the product even the slightest. I can however see how launching a copy of the Origin store into space would have made for a perfectly good joke about the creation of the Reapers.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Mass Effect's website/twitter don't have any info on how to find the stuff.

Any link's for live trackers, or blogs, or anything related? On the extremely off chance that one will fall somewhere close in Michigan...

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Jove said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
So... EA's marketing department hasn't learned any lessons from their previous gimmicky failures? No? Nothing from Dante's Inferno or Dead Space 2? ...okay then.

Especially when this game honestly doesn't need it. "Mass Effect 3." ...upon hearing that, you know if you need it or not. Launching discs into space and tracking their decent to Earth... it sounds cool, doesn't it? But it's so cheap and attention-grabbing, and does nothing for the game. ...I'm not a fan of this. Not at all.
Actually I think this is a great idea. Dead Space 2's advertising was horrible, and Dante was just even worse, but unlike those two, this one doesn't actually hurt anybody, at all. I don't see any harm in this and think this is great.
Agreed. I guess it is a grab for attention, but isn't that basically what advertising is? Trying to grab the consumer's attention about their new product? They're not sending you a box that won't stop playing Rick Astley songs until you break it with a hammer, and then having it tell you that you're going to Hell. I think this is a neat idea.
Oh, and I think the point where they went wrong with Dante's Inferno was the point when they decided to turn one of the most famous epic poems ever written into an action game. Neither my hand nor my face are not durable enough to perform the facepalm that such a decision deserves. Maybe I'm just sore because I am currently reading the Divine Comedy and enjoying it.

roflmecopter

Feb 14, 2011
Corporal Yakob said:
(Peering through binoculars) "I see the game, yes yes I see it! Its coming down.....its coming.....its coming!!! Aaaaaaaaand it just landed in that volcano....."
My precccciooooouuuussssss *falls into lava clutching box*

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
roflmecopter said:
Corporal Yakob said:
(Peering through binoculars) "I see the game, yes yes I see it! Its coming down.....its coming.....its coming!!! Aaaaaaaaand it just landed in that volcano....."
My precccciooooouuuussssss *falls into lava clutching box*
If people really do vaporise themselves in an attempt to get Mass Effect 3 I must come up with some way to get all their stuff!

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
This idea is pretty cool.

I will pay attention to where they are going.....however if one does happen to land in my yard I still will probably wait to nab my Collector's edition (and use the time to make my perfect ME1 and 2 character)......I will keep the weather balloon though (and hell keep the game and frame it or something)

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
I guarantee you people are going to end up in the hospital or the dead house over this. Great advertising though.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
EA: We spend tons of money on pointless and stupid advertizing instead of putting it toward making better games!

Every aspect of this is fucking stupid. They aren't actually sending the game into space, as this story pointed out there is a very good chance they will land in the middle of an ocean, and even if you do manage to find a copy it may not even be for the system you want! Sooo...yeah way to keep the dial to fucking retarded EA marketing dept. *facepalms*

MakerOfRoads

Aug 19, 2009
I've got $100 on inside the balloons there is nothing but a code to download it off their service.

Thats if thats even that. Its also likely that its not even the game, just the opportunity to buy it before anyone else has the chance to.

Its not like EA to give anything away for free. Though, making them jump through hoops for something that could potentially be crap does seem par for the course.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So, you are giving pirates an early start. because surely some pirate will get one of those copies, rips it and while internet will have it before buyers will. good job.