EA Makes Nice With Banned Players

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
mad825 said:
The only good news is bad news.

People are still going to hate anyway, it's not Steam.
Which is why people will ***** about this move.

"Hey guys, we're being less douchey to our customers."

"WAAAAAAAAAAAH YOU SUCK!"
I mean, it's good that the Worst Company thing has woken them up a bit, but there's no way that they're going to compete with Valve on any level. Even if they polished our balls, people will argue it's not better than the wait for Half Life 3: Episode 3: Return of Dr. Freeman.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
To quote the captcha; oh, wait [http://i41.tinypic.com/33nzxvn.png]. They still ban for bad forum manners, don't they? Me no likey. Really no likey. Even World of Warcraft was benign enough that I and several friends of mine could get suspended from the forum over and over (some of us permanently in the end, until/unless we pleaded to the support) and still be fine and dandy in the game.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
synobal said:
Beautiful End said:
Well, I see this as a good act of...whatever. I mean, those "offenders" have it coming anyway. For the most part, they're not banned because it's cloudy outside. And it seems they even get a first-time warning (72 hours-ban period).

Yeah, losing access to your account and games sucks. But hey, don't go trolling people and being rude and you'll be safe.

And again, I say for the most part. I know there are some cases of being unfairly banned. But again! For the most part. We got that, right?

At any rate, EA still sucks for reasons other than this. If they're trying to get rid of their bad reputation, there are other things they should prioritize *coughonlinepassescough*.
Wow seriously? So because you post something that they don't like on their online forums they have the right to keep you from a product you paid for? How does, me being mean on their forums have anything to do with me playing I dunno 'need for speed grand pursuit three' or what ever?
When the police catch you driving drunk, they don't impound your car but revoke your license.

The software is still installed on the banned users' PCs, they just lost their license to use it.
I remember having to pay for my driving license..

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Roboto said:
synobal said:
Beautiful End said:
Well, I see this as a good act of...whatever. I mean, those "offenders" have it coming anyway. For the most part, they're not banned because it's cloudy outside. And it seems they even get a first-time warning (72 hours-ban period).

Yeah, losing access to your account and games sucks. But hey, don't go trolling people and being rude and you'll be safe.

And again, I say for the most part. I know there are some cases of being unfairly banned. But again! For the most part. We got that, right?

At any rate, EA still sucks for reasons other than this. If they're trying to get rid of their bad reputation, there are other things they should prioritize *coughonlinepassescough*.
Wow seriously? So because you post something that they don't like on their online forums they have the right to keep you from a product you paid for? How does, me being mean on their forums have anything to do with me playing I dunno 'need for speed grand pursuit three' or what ever?

When the police catch you driving drunk, they don't impound your car but revoke your license.

The software is still installed on the banned users' PCs, they just lost their license to use it.
And this is why consumers are losing rights left and right to large corporations, because we think it's okay for them to screw us.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Sober Thal said:
For shame EA, you shouldn't have caved on this one.
They're not doing it because they think it will make them better. They're doing it so the people will still buy their games.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
synobal said:
Roboto said:
synobal said:
Beautiful End said:

And this is why consumers are losing rights left and right to large corporations, because we think it's okay for them to screw us.
Small problem with your statement. These companies don't do it unprovoked. You act like an idiot, they ban you, you forfeit your right to use their online services. Money doesn't entitle you to be a prick to others. And EA isn't the only company that does this. It kind of goes back to the whole "no shoes no shirt no service" thing.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
If they're banned from cheating or other as bad reason, why the hell give them even this.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Aeonknight said:
synobal said:
Roboto said:
synobal said:
Beautiful End said:

Small problem with your statement. These companies don't do it unprovoked. You act like an idiot, they ban you, you forfeit your right to use their online services. Money doesn't entitle you to be a prick to others. And EA isn't the only company that does this. It kind of goes back to the whole "no shoes no shirt no service" thing.
You seem to think people only get banned for being trolls.

People don't just get banned for being trolls, they get banned for no reason, for silly reasons, or because a mod doesn't like said person.

Random EA ban exhibit A [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.328868-EA-now-issuing-permanent-Origin-bans-through-content-filter?page=1]

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
synobal said:
Aeonknight said:
synobal said:
Roboto said:
synobal said:
Beautiful End said:

People don't just get banned for being trolls, they get banned for no reason, for silly reasons, or because a mod doesn't like said person.

Random EA ban exhibit A [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.328868-EA-now-issuing-permanent-Origin-bans-through-content-filter?page=1]
Oh I know full well there are a few undeserved bannings. But I don't flaunt those specific instances as if it were the case 99% of the time like you. But of course it's only the loud ones that get heard.

Personally I'd say he deserves the ban if nothing else than for that fucking arrow in the knee joke. But I'm just spiteful like that.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Too little too late, EA. And this doesn't even begin to address all the other shitty practices. Until they get their shit straight, they'll just continue to support the pirating community.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Aeonknight said:
synobal said:
Aeonknight said:
synobal said:
Roboto said:
synobal said:
Beautiful End said:

Oh I know full well there are a few undeserved bannings. But I don't flaunt those specific instances as if it were the case 99% of the time like you. But of course it's only the loud ones that get heard.

Personally I'd say he deserves the ban if nothing else than for that fucking arrow in the knee joke. But I'm just spiteful like that.
Better to hang an innocent man than let a guilty one go free huh? Well if that's how you see things then I guess nothing is going to change that.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
meh. battlefield 3 seems to be there 2nd most compelling exclusive title and subjecting someone to the single player portions of battlefield 3 seems to me like some kind of cruel and sadistic punishment.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
synobal said:
Aeonknight said:
synobal said:
Aeonknight said:
synobal said:
Roboto said:
synobal said:
Beautiful End said:

Better to hang an innocent man than let a guilty one go free huh? Well if that's how you see things then I guess nothing is going to change that.
Considering the ratio of guilty over innocent that are banned? Lesser of 2 evils in my book. And the innocent's banning can always be reversed, even if it means going through a few hours of annoying customer service. But like I said, this isn't exclusive to EA.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Roboto said:

Ooookay.
Firstly, you're essentially putting EA in the position of the Video Game Police, no.
Secondly, this is not the same thing even in those confines of the argument. This is someone being belligerent at the Driver's Club for Driving and then losing his license to drive his vehicle.

Something more accurate would be to say that the police saw you out about town and that you are a dick to the cashier in the local Wal-Mart, so they take away your license.

OT: So yeah, now you only have to suffer your videogame's multiplayer if you are on the forums?
Well then, looks like I'm sticking to The Escapist for my forum perusal. Nothing of any real substance lost I suppose? Yeah, I'm going with that.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Aeonknight said:
Considering the ratio of guilty over innocent that are banned? Lesser of 2 evils in my book. And the innocent's banning can always be reversed, even if it means going through a few hours of annoying customer service. But like I said, this isn't exclusive to EA.
The lesser of 2 evils implies that those 2 are the only option.

Here there's a third option. One that isn't evil. If someone acts like a douche in the forums, ban them from the forums. That way they won't bother people on the forums, but they still get to play the games they paid money for. Steam does it, and it works pretty damn well.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
this is backpedaling at its finest folks.
Would you rather they didn't?

OT: Why is everyone getting their snark on? THEY FINALLY DID SOMETHING YOU WANTED!

Vapus

May 15, 2010
Cant even be remotely impressed . Origin, the enraging way EA destroys my favourite Ips and treats customers has put them on my personal boycott list over a year and a half ago.

I do enjoy watching the odd Game on my buddys console collection , but thats just for some cinematics as a lead in to our discussions on how bad EA really is.