EA: Making DRM Disappear in One Easy Step

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
they lifted the SecuROM from BFBC2 and are gonna let steam manage the DRM which i dont have a problem with. But good to know that C&C4 has the same retarded scheme as UBISOFT was so tempted today to buy the game!

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
There are actually people out there with no internet, or not very good connections. Are these large companies going to continue to ignore those people?

I wouldn't buy this, it's terrible. It makes steam look more and more attractive.

I know it's not impossible to make discs that can install the game fully, don't require an internet connection and will let me play beyond the unforeseeable future (in fact I think Shamus Young detailed a compromise I'd accept a while back) so why do several game companies continue to steer more and more away from anything I'd be willing to use, let alone buy.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
An open letter to publishers: You want my money, I want good games, this we both agree on. However you will never get a dime from me for your game unless all of the following are true.

1. I can install my purchased game as many times as I want on as many different systems as I want, no exceptions. This includes my friend's computer (you didn't lose money, he didn't buy it anyway, and if he likes this one he might buy your next one).
2. Games where an internet connection doesn't add any real value to me don't require an internet connection, even a one time install verification. Games with multiple game modes don't require an internet connection for any single player mode.
3. Games do not have ANY kind of advertising in them.
4. I can legally make a backup copy of the disk I purchased, or the file I downloaded.
5. Multiplayer games support LAN play.

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
All I can say is I bet people are starting to miss starforce and securerom already....

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Aaaand yet another game they don't want me to buy. They really are doing their best to make their products very unattractive for the discerning customer.
True dedication, very admirable.
Would be admirable if they dedicated some time to something besides boundless stupidity.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
"The cake is a LIE!"

Sorry, I had to do that. That what sprung to mind when reading about the propaganda part. Yeah, the rule of thumb of lying, lie big enough and keep repeating it... I once tried that principle and it worked perfectly, to my eternal surprise. Since then, I lie and cheat my way through life. Why? Because I CAN!

j/k

But seriously, why does EA still think that we gamers are bunch of retarded, gullible idiots? We are not your average braindead soap-opera crowd, you know, we are MIT dropouts m'kay?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Ubisoft method... wave of the future, yo. Of course they have the decency to note the DRM. Apparently it worked well enough if EA is copying them. Of course continuing this and needing a new account for every publisher is going to lead to issues. If only there one online system that protected all publisher's games at once... and was named after hot water... and is made by Valve!

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
getting a bit bored of this 'DRM COMPLETELY SUCKS' argument every single writer on here has...

...yes DRM sucks but it has potential to be beneficial to all parties involved excluding the pirates, developers just need to do it the right way

what is the right way? who knows but they sure as hell havent found it yet

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
The bad thing for EA is that not only are they trying to pull this bullshit with C&C4 one of thier biggest franchises but also because they've went and raped the entire game itself. It's not even proper C&C anymore. So these 2 issues together will put off a lot of fans. Like myself.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
If someone were to ask me, legal rammifications aside, why they should not pirate games now, I'm not sure I could tell them. Whether they do or don't they're going to be treated as a criminal, they may as well be treated as a criminal with a larger bank balance.
QFT.
TitsMcGee1804 said:
getting a bit bored of this 'DRM COMPLETELY SUCKS' argument every single writer on here has...
...yes DRM sucks but it has potential to be beneficial to all parties involved excluding the pirates, developers just need to do it the right way
what is the right way? who knows but they sure as hell havent found it yet
Getting a bit bored with this kind of argument.
Yes, DRM has the potential to be beneficial, but until one comes along that actually does something good the statement "DRM COMPLETELY SUCKS" is also completely valid.

OT: Well, that means that my "Buy" list just shrank again, and that I might have to dust off the old "Pirate" list from the garbage pile. I'll be a total f*cking asshole for doing it, but with about 60% of my game time occurring when I'm offline, I'd rather be a f*cking asshole than not play.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
It is DRM and I don't want to hear that its not! Oh wow that felt good. Anyway I pay for all my games and yet I'm treated like a criminal. When the Ubisoft servers went down I couldn't play Assassins Creed 2, yet the pirates could. This will not work, the hackers will find a way around it and make is easier for them to play, meanwhile I'm still trying to get the damn game to work. Yet another company I have to boycott, at least computer versions.

Bruce Edwards

Feb 17, 2010
Hmm. OK, so I've passed on AC2 and Silent Service 5 because of DRM. Now I'm gonna have to pass on CNC4 because of DRM.

Please, THQ and Activision, never ever adopt this system.

PodX140

Jul 1, 2009
dochmbi said:
Great, only problem: C&C 4: Cracked and fully playable.

Assassins Creed 2: Not cracked and missions aren't playable.

works perfectly, simply look at any major torrent site and look at the comments. Sure, half of them are idiots who cant copy files into their proper location, but otherwise if you read on most of them get it in the end.

Stop buying into the crap that Ubi tells you. Next thing you know you'll be listening to them say that this was necessary.

They went from my favorite publisher to my worst. Reason? DRM. Never say it never makes a difference.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Umm... this whole thing is completely silly. Gamers don't hate digital rights management. Gamers hate rude inconveniences that make a properly purchased version of a game inferior to the pirated version.

Whether or not this renaming of DRM works is irrelevant. It still makes cracked copies of the game superior to the ones they're trying to sell, and thus is completely counter-productive.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
My brother got C&C4 on the first day, and had to wait 3 days to be able to play it, thanks to this system. The EA website servers were overloaded, preventing the registration page from loading. Of course, once he started playing it, he found out that C&C4 blows, and re-installed C&C3.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
bismarck55 said:
Worgen said:
so its not drm? its an mmo now?

Its bullshit for C&C4 but its one of thoes things Im not sure if its really worth worrying about since so far its just on one game, one game Ill never buy but only one game, I mean if they also pulled it with bad company 2 or mass effect 2 then it would be much more worrying.
Why would they put it on just one game? That would not make sense. They will most likely do what Ubisoft is doing and implement this DRM on all their future releases.
thats the thing, it is just in one game tho, they havent said a damn thing about it being in any other games and so far it isnt, which means its either an experiment or they havent thought of putting it in everything

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It wasnt the DRM that forced me off C&C4, it was the fact it was co-op dependant to get past certain parts of the game.

If this "Onlne Only DRM" trend continues then all the games I get in the future wont be legal purchases.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"...a lot of readers got their panties in a twist when I suggested that people who buy Ubisoft's games are complicit in the proliferation of its online DRM."
Not exactly wrong to suggest. That is, if you believe in all that 'voting with your dollars' stuff. The problem being one must weigh this against the number of people one believes to be too uninformed/apathetic to bother taking the same route, which may make the prospect of not purchasing a game to spite a company seem useless.

I'm on the fence with this one. While I haven't purchased any Ubisoft titles (or E.A. for that matter) since their respective DRM debacles, I wonder if it is really doing any good. Thanks for keeping the conversation alive, Andy.