EA Offers Free Game to Early SimCity Adopters

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
There are rumors if you accept the free game, its means you are agreeing that you cant bring this to class action lawsuit status.

Which means not many people trust this.
You cant bring up one anyway if I recall rightly. Take a peak at your Origin smallprint.

Longstreet said:
This free game me thinks can be one of these options

- Their cheapest game (Or an old simcity game, they can't cost much now right?

- BF3, either the vanilla game or with the Back to karkland / Armored kill / Close quarters / Aftermath expansions
The newest expansion, end game, comes out in a few week. Ea will most likely count on people buying end game then, so they can still make money off it.
The article says its from its catalogue, I'm assuming it'll be any similar priced title available on Origin.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Maybe try an open beta next time?

Someone, somewhere will find a way to break your game. Intentionally or otherwise.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
itsthesheppy said:
"The consensus amount... players is that it's a great game"?

she hasn't looked at the metacritic user reviews, has she?

Or she's lying.

Yeah, gonna go with lying.
People are obviously going to bomb that aren't they? Since when does anyone around here care what the fuck Metacritic scores are?

I've heard great things about the game from people who actually can play it.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
It is a fun game when it works. I was a little frustrated that I wasn't able to figure out how to use the mines right away, but it really was a fun game. I was rather laid up after a car accident and surgery just before it came out, so I was able to play at odd hours, and it worked wonderfully for the most part. I look forward to them getting the rest of the game fixed up.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Why not just give users what they want and put in an offline mode? Would certainly make EA seem a little less like giant dickheads.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
So their solution to the server problem, is to increase server traffic by allowing people a free game? I did not realize they had bandwidth to spare.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Ultratwinkie said:
There are rumors if you accept the free game, its means you are agreeing that you cant bring this to class action lawsuit status.
If you're in the US, it doesn't matter, you already waived your right to litigate when you clicked agree on the EULA and downloaded the game. EA have been doing that for a couple of years now.

If you're in Europe they can't do that, such stunts are illegal.
No EULA protects from broken, not working ,ineffective products, or false and misleading advertising. Put in front of a real court, they can easily fall apart. They are only ever going to be as good as the lawyer that is defending them.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
CardinalPiggles said:
Someone, somewhere will find a way to break your game. Intentionally or otherwise.
Yeah, EA already did it to themselves.

I can't wait to find out what piece of crap/outdated game EA will be offering as 'compensation'. Maybe the 1983 classic Pinball Construction Set?

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Thanks for the game, EA. But that's not sufficient. Fact is, your business decisions rendered the product you sold defective, and will certainly do so again for all such future products. You are at fault, and unrelated gifts don't fix the issue. There is just one way to fix it: Stop employing your broken business practices. Now. And permanently. Learn from Ubisoft's hubris, and mend your ways before your future sales suffer the consequences.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Well from what I hear even with the severs back up and running the game has very little in the way of replay value with the small maps being filled up in less than an hour and entire regions getting full way too damn quick. It appears the "It's a great game when it works" argument may have been a bit off.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Bradshaw offers a bit of insight into how the whole house of cards came tumbling down in the first place, telling us that "The short answer is: a lot more people logged on than we expected.
Given that mere months ago Diablo had a catastrophic launch with the same problems, this explanation gets zero sympathy or understanding from me. Towards EA, who would make the server-capacity preparations, I'd think, anyways. Maxis I have a lot of sympathy for having their reportedly-awesome game, and likely reputation, kneecapped by the ire drawn by EA, even moreso if its as has been suggested above, that the cut for this placation is coming out of Maxis' end.

I'm sure someone's going to point out how every corporation, not just games but other ones too, always low-ball server estimates due to the costs involved with operating them, but that doesn't change the fact its the consumer who's suffering for it and I can only hope the damage from this debacle is enough to scare EA and other launches off from underestimating their requirements.

Aleas

Jul 2, 2011
Having been able to play the game I have to say that when you can play, its totally addictive, forget about the DRM and server issues, this is an awesome game. Me and a few friends have tons of projects to build regions and play together. And no I have not been payed to say that, its just my honest opinion as a long time player (since simcity the first like a lot others)

So about those server issues...I am in the it business and I can totally understand whats going on! No matter how well you plan and try to make your launch perfect its almost impossible to get sizing right when its a new game, new product. Yeah you can say "throw as many resources you can at it" but sometimes it just doesn't work. I have seen that happen and you struggle trying to find solutions and installing servers in hours instead of day.

Shitty servers? From the look if it they are using Amazon EC2 so they are totally into the cloud. Most likely the ones who have been cutting on the cost are upper management and now they are going back to their admins begging for them to solve the problem. Funny thing is, probably someone over there is saying "we told you".

**expecting a storm of throlling on my post**

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Here's a thought. Instead of giving people a free game, how 'bout you ALLOW THEM TO RETURN THE BROKEN ONE. LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE FROM THE BEGINNING.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Fireprufe15 said:
Or...don't give me a free game AND PATCH OUT THE STUPIDTARDED DRM.
You can't just "patch out" a quarter of the games features...
What they COULD do is offer a "local server", where you can have an own region (limited to one or two per player, but it can be deleted and restarted).

uncanny474 said:
Here's a thought. Instead of giving people a free game, how 'bout you ALLOW THEM TO RETURN THE BROKEN ONE. LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE FROM THE BEGINNING.
The game itself isn't broken - it's just their servers. Or are you going to cry "broken game" every time an MMO is having a maintenance? No, you won't.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Yes you can patch that out when you know 50% of your audience just wanted a single player game anyway.