EA on women in Battlefield V; "If you don't like it, don't buy it"

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
aegix drakan said:
Article itself was damn good too. Seriously, whining about "accuracy" when not only DID women fight in WW2, but it's also the same series where you can...Repair a horse with a wrench?! XD
99.999% of all the infantry in WW2 were men so having plenty of women running around can be uncanny. The problem isn't them putting women in the game though, it's just forced diversity that literally no Battlefield fan asked for, like I said before they're only doing this to look good and feel good about themselves. This is how I imagine the offices at DICE:

Jan 27, 2011
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
it's just forced diversity that literally no Battlefield fan asked for, like I said before they're only doing this to look good and feel good about themselves. This is how I imagine the offices at DICE:
While "Hey, more diversity means women/POC will praise/buy our game" is indeed a possible reason for it at the AAA level where they want as many eyeballs on the game as possible...I find it hilarious that this is always the default assumption, especially if you include the smugness in it.

Like, I make RPGs for fun, and have plenty of female characters or leads, and some people who aren't heteronormative (although only one such character actually gets to say it). I didn't do it because of some smug "must appeal to diversity", I did it because a) I thought it'd be neat/fun/interesting or b) There was a really neat female sprite I wanted to use, so the character just defaulted to being female.

Hell, even the RPG I'm working on whose main story exists to turn the "Damsel in distress" trope on its head and have the damsels rescue themselves doesn't exist because of "Must discredit overused dumb cliche and prove how progressive I am!", it exists because I was like "You know what, this would be a fun idea to play around with, why not make it?"

Literally the only reason your "they're only doing this to look good" holds any weight at all is because AAA games typically try to appeal to as broad an audience as possible.

And even if it DOES exist to appeal to a broader audience....Who cares? What difference does a few extra women in the story or being able to play as a woman in multiplayer have on the actual game? In what way does it somehow "ruin" the experience of a battlefield game? Honestly, not much at all. I'll take that any day of the week over dumbing down game mechanics.

Overall, to say it only exists because "Diversity quota! Trying to virtue Signal!" degrades and demeans the people who are in the industry to make cool games they love.

Also I'm pretty sure 100% of horses can't be repaired with a wrench, and that 0% of WW2 mounted units used flamethrowers, soo...The "women in WW2 is Uncanny" argument doesn't really land.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
99.999% of all the infantry in WW2 were men so having plenty of women running around can be uncanny. The problem isn't them putting women in the game though, it's just forced diversity that literally no Battlefield fan asked for, like I said before they're only doing this to look good and feel good about themselves.
The people complaining about forced diversity will have ants in their pants about anything that involves women in gaming. I remember geeks having a shitfit over Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, because it starred two women and not Nathan Drake, eventhough Drake's story was concluded and the women were prominent established characters. And you should see the comments section under any video about the latest Last of Us 2 trailer. They range from 'Gays are gross and unnatural.' to 'I don't mind gays, but why are they shoved in my face.' to 'This is just SJW propaganda.' Just because two girls kiss eachother, one of whom was establish as gay, like, 4 years ago.

This is just the alt-right and other sexist man babies jumping at the tiniest shadows like a bunch of howler monkeys.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
B-Cell said:
some of us prefer to play as male characters doesnot mean we hate female characters or we are sexist. but its just our preference. i feel comfortable playing as male characters because im a man and want to be a man in gaming universe.
So play as a man, then. Nobody is stopping you. A female playable character is an option.

You're not merely arguing that you should be able to play as a man; the game already allows you that. You are arguing that everybody else must play as men, regardless of their preferences.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
it's just forced diversity that literally no Battlefield fan asked for
Everybody tends to think their own opinion is representative. Speak for yourself.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Casual Shinji said:
The people complaining about forced diversity will have ants in their pants about anything that involves women in gaming.
Not true, I'm not and I've seen plenty of big YouTubers expressing themselves over this in a good manner. This is the reason why women were forced into the game:

He wanted women in the game because he couldn't explain to his young daughter (Who's way too young to play the game) why there were no women in WW2.

aegix drakan said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
it's just forced diversity that literally no Battlefield fan asked for, like I said before they're only doing this to look good and feel good about themselves. This is how I imagine the offices at DICE:
While "Hey, more diversity means women/POC will praise/buy our game" is indeed a possible reason for it at the AAA level where they want as many eyeballs on the game as possible...I find it hilarious that this is always the default assumption, especially if you include the smugness in it.

Like, I make RPGs for fun, and have plenty of female characters or leads, and some people who aren't heteronormative (although only one such character actually gets to say it). I didn't do it because of some smug "must appeal to diversity", I did it because a) I thought it'd be neat/fun/interesting or b) There was a really neat female sprite I wanted to use, so the character just defaulted to being female.

Hell, even the RPG I'm working on whose main story exists to turn the "Damsel in distress" trope on its head and have the damsels rescue themselves doesn't exist because of "Must discredit overused dumb cliche and prove how progressive I am!", it exists because I was like "You know what, this would be a fun idea to play around with, why not make it?"

Literally the only reason your "they're only doing this to look good" holds any weight at all is because AAA games typically try to appeal to as broad an audience as possible.

And even if it DOES exist to appeal to a broader audience....Who cares? What difference does a few extra women in the story or being able to play as a woman in multiplayer have on the actual game? In what way does it somehow "ruin" the experience of a battlefield game? Honestly, not much at all. I'll take that any day of the week over dumbing down game mechanics.

Overall, to say it only exists because "Diversity quota! Trying to virtue Signal!" degrades and demeans the people who are in the industry to make cool games they love.

Also I'm pretty sure 100% of horses can't be repaired with a wrench, and that 0% of WW2 mounted units used flamethrowers, soo...The "women in WW2 is Uncanny" argument doesn't really land.
This won't make more women play their game, does anyone seriously believe that women won't play a world war 2 Battlefield game because they can't play as a woman?

You're not DICE though, they're clearly doing it to show how progressive they are and they don't care if it makes their game much less authentic. Their response to the ''uproar'' clearly proves that.

Alright, they want to look good in the politically correct sense, they think they will be remembered in the history books for including women in their game. If that statement doesn't make you gag then I don't know.

I don't think any minds having women in the story, there were women in both BF4 and BF1 stories and no one cared. It doesn't ruin the game but it lessens the experience when they make the game less and less authentic, it did start with BF1 where every other soldier was for some reason black even in the German army.

It literally is for diversity quota, look at what the DICE lead director said above.

Battlefield 1 is where this started in the first place but being able to repair a horse isn't the same as having women running around all over the place in WW2. They have to decide if they want to be authentic or not, I just think most people are disappointed that they are taking the latter route.

In Battlefield 1 they tried to tell authentic war stories in the singleplayer but at the same time you were wearing a heavy plate suit and a machine gun mowing down hundreds of enemies while being invulnerable, that was jarring as well.

With all that said, it's not like I'm gonna skip the game because it has women in it, I just think their justification for it is ridiculous.

Silvanus said:
Everybody tends to think their own opinion is representative. Speak for yourself.
So I guess plenty of people always wanted to play as women in historical Battlefield games, they just never said it or asked for it. Got it.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Casual Shinji said:
The people complaining about forced diversity will have ants in their pants about anything that involves women in gaming.
Not true, I'm not and I've seen plenty of big YouTubers expressing themselves over this in a good manner. This is the reason why women were forced into the game:

He wanted women in the game because he couldn't explain to his young daughter (Who's way too young to play the game) why there were no women in WW2.
Except that there were women in WW2. He shouldn't have to explain to his daughter that there were no women in WW2 when that's historically bullshit. The only ones attempting historical revisionism are those making the claims you are.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Avnger said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Casual Shinji said:

Except that there were women in WW2. He shouldn't have to explain to his daughter that there were no women in WW2 when that's historically bullshit. The only ones attempting historical revisionism are those making the claims you are.
Like I said before, 99.999% of the infantry were men, we're not talking about nurses or industrial workers, there were pretty much not a single woman on the frontlines.

But I guess since there was 1 woman in the war, all WW2 games should have at least 50% women on the frontlines, right?

Feb 26, 2014
I'm... Proud of you... EA? I think I need to go take another shower.
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Casual Shinji said:

So... did we read the same thing? He didn't say anything about explaining why there were no women in WW2, which would be false anyway, he said he didn't want her to be left out because she couldn't make a character look like her. Two entirely different statments, though I can see why his statement could be a bit confusing.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Avnger said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Casual Shinji said:

Like I said before, 99.999% of the infantry were men, we're not talking about nurses or industrial workers, there were pretty much not a single woman on the frontlines.

But I guess since there was 1 woman in the war, all WW2 games should have at least 50% women on the frontlines, right?
So, what would be the solution? Completely ignore any and all women who were in combat roles during WWII? Only allow 1% of players to have a customizable female avatar? Is it really such a big deal that players can use female avatars in a game where horses can be repaired with wrenches or players can eject from a jet, do a 360, fire a rocket, and then re-enter their jet? You say it's politically correct... So? It's already a fantasy war game, so I don't see the problem.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Captain Marvelous said:
I'm... Proud of you... EA? I think I need to go take another shower.
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Casual Shinji said:

So... did we read the same thing? He didn't say anything about explaining why there were no women in WW2, which would be false anyway, he said he didn't want her to be left out because she couldn't make a character look like her. Two entirely different statments, though I can see why his statement could be a bit confusing.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Avnger said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Casual Shinji said:

So, what would be the solution? Completely ignore any and all women who were in combat roles during WWII? Only allow 1% of players to have a customizable female avatar? Is it really such a big deal that players can use female avatars in a game where horses can be repaired with wrenches or players can eject from a jet, do a 360, fire a rocket, and then re-enter their jet? You say it's politically correct... So? It's already a fantasy war game, so I don't see the problem.
I know he didn't that's my point, she's obviously too young to play the game otherwise she wouldn't have asked such a question because then she would've known why she can't be a girl in a WW2 game.

The campaign (Or atleast part of it) is about a woman, that's fine because there were probably a few women in (Don't take the no wymen in WW2 literally) the resistance. Well like I said before it's not a big deal but forced diversity and inclusion will always stink in my book.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
What?s ironic is that judging by the tone of the trailer, their main aim is the glorification of what should be one of history?s darkest, most humbling time periods. Aside from clearly not giving a lick about authenticity, Dice reveals just how inept and juvenile their approach is to the subject matter and ends up doing women a disservice simply by being associated with whatever they?re attempting to ?teach? with this hot mess.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
[li]Incomplete weapon operation animations[/li]
[li]Improperly decorated uniforms[/li]
[li]Inaccurate depictions of house-to-house fighting[/li]
[li]Far fewer weapon jams than in reality[/li]
[li]Inaccurate depiction, use, and availability of automatic weapons[/li]
I'd like these to be addressed too. Unfortunately it seams that Battlefield isn't my kind of game any more and hasn't been for a while.

I'm not against women being in a WW2 game, I'd be fine with the already mentioned female soviet soldiers or French resistance[footnote]Though then again you run into the issue of the French resistance fighting grand battles using tanks, planes etc the equivalent of a full army[footnote]If there were any battles the French Resistance fought like that let me know, I don't claim to be any kind of knowledgable about the French Resistance and would genuinely be interested to hear about it.[/footnote][/footnote], but I think its silly to see 50% of front line soldiers in a WW2 game being female.

What they should have done is made a game set in an alternative WW2 universe, go full on over the top, have Nazi Vampires, have bears instead of horses for the Soviets, British tea powered machine guns, that kind of thing. If they're going for historically inaccurate they should have made that into a selling point. Thats a game I would play!

erttheking said:
If you gave a shit about historical accuracy, you were playing the wrong genre. If you actually gave a shit about historical accuracy, you'd be more concerned about the Churchill Gun Carrier tank in the trailer. Which literally never saw combat. Ever.
Me and my brother (who was a history student) both thought it was stupid when that Chruchill burst through the wall like that.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
B-Cell said:
Gones are the days when WW2 games were all about Men fighting and defending. now for companies like EA. they are doing everything to apease feminist by making historically inaccurate.

It wouldn't be so damn annoying if it wasn't on RECORD that there were female fighters on the Eastern front.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
B-Cell said:
if it happpen than it will be death of gaming.
Rare do I find someone that makes it impossible to strawman.

whats next? Hitwoman instead of Hitman?
Yea, because female assassins are SO unknown in gaming.

or playing as Doom girl instead of DOOM slayer?
Yea, a girl wouldn't fit at all in a sci fi/horror action yarn involving gunning down horrors...

come on that wont work.

Yea, it's not like Metroid was ever a successful franchise, was it?

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
I personally don't care a lot about women being in this game but they're obviously doing it to earn good boy points. Even the lead designer thinks he's on ''the right side of history'' because he doesn't have the spine to explain to his 9-year-old daughter why there were pretty much no women in WW2, a really pathetic guy.
It could be that cynical, yes. Won't disregard that possibility.

But what's stopping him from telling his daughter about Lyudmila Pavlichenko or Anna Yegorova?

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
StatusNil said:
Dunno, if I cared at all about Battlefield, I'd think female members of the French Resistance would make a fine addition to the roster. Especially if they were as cool and beret-wearing as Michelle from Allo Allo:

"Listen to me carefully, I shall say zis only once!"
I would pay good money for a BF game that is voiced by everyone in 'Allo 'Allo.
Damn you for getting my hopes up for something that will never happen.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
there were pretty much not a single woman on the frontlines.
The 586th Fighter Regiment

46th Taman Guard Night Bombers

125th Guard Bomber regiment

Rosa Shanina

The previously mentioned Lyudmila Pavlechenko

The Sydir Kovpak

Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya (***** was hardcore, fought the Nazi's behind their own lines)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
hanselthecaretaker said:
What?s ironic is that judging by the tone of the trailer, their main aim is the glorification of what should be one of history?s darkest, most humbling time periods.
....You mean that thing that the majority of WWII shooters did? Pretty much every WWII shooter had a glorification of WWII thing. Not in a "this is what happened and why" glorification, but a "FUCK YEAH! KILLING NAZIS IS AWESOME!" glorification.

And why the crap does everyone keep talking about this game wanting to teach people?