Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Smithnikov said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
I personally don't care a lot about women being in this game but they're obviously doing it to earn good boy points. Even the lead designer thinks he's on ''the right side of history'' because he doesn't have the spine to explain to his 9-year-old daughter why there were pretty much no women in WW2, a really pathetic guy.
It could be that cynical, yes. Won't disregard that possibility.

But what's stopping him from telling his daughter about Lyudmila Pavlichenko or Anna Yegorova?
Absolutely nothing, they have a woman main character in the singleplayer and there's nothing wrong with that.

Smithnikov said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
there were pretty much not a single woman on the frontlines.
The 586th Fighter Regiment

46th Taman Guard Night Bombers

125th Guard Bomber regiment

Rosa Shanina

The previously mentioned Lyudmila Pavlechenko

The Sydir Kovpak

Zoya Kosmodemyanskaya (***** was hardcore, fought the Nazi's behind their own lines)
That's like 2 handful of women, I know that they existed but on a very, very very small scale. Look at WW2 films like World War 2 in color and tell me how many male soldiers and how many female soldiers you see.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Bobular said:
I'm not against women being in a WW2 game, I'd be fine with the already mentioned female soviet soldiers or French resistance[footnote]Though then again you run into the issue of the French resistance fighting grand battles using tanks, planes etc the equivalent of a full army, but I think its silly to see 50% of front line soldiers in a WW2 game being female.

What they should have done is made a game set in an alternative WW2 universe, go full on over the top, have Nazi Vampires, have bears instead of horses for the Soviets, British tea powered machine guns, that kind of thing. If they're going for historically inaccurate they should have made that into a selling point. Thats a game I would play!
Has this been confirmed to be the case with Battlefield 5 or is it just an exaggeration by BabyFarts? ( I haven't been paying attention because I don't like Battlefield games ).

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
bluegate said:
Bobular said:
I'm not against women being in a WW2 game, I'd be fine with the already mentioned female soviet soldiers or French resistance[footnote]Though then again you run into the issue of the French resistance fighting grand battles using tanks, planes etc the equivalent of a full army, but I think its silly to see 50% of front line soldiers in a WW2 game being female.

What they should have done is made a game set in an alternative WW2 universe, go full on over the top, have Nazi Vampires, have bears instead of horses for the Soviets, British tea powered machine guns, that kind of thing. If they're going for historically inaccurate they should have made that into a selling point. Thats a game I would play!
Has this been confirmed to be the case with Battlefield 5 or is it just an exaggeration by BabyFarts? ( I haven't been paying attention because I don't like Battlefield games ).
I was just exaggerating hehe, who knows how many will choose to be female but probably not 50%, it's a choice so it's not like they're forcing people to be female.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
For people citing 50% of female soldiers being present, I really don't see that happening. Consider that gender is up to the player. Now consider any multiplayer FPS ever where the same choice exists. How many choose a female avatar? If your experience is anything like mine, the number is way, WAY below 50%.

Don't think female soldiers can be "forced" on us when their presence is entirely up to the player.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
So I guess plenty of people always wanted to play as women in historical Battlefield games, they just never said it or asked for it. Got it.
Well, except those people who said it and asked for it, of course.

You don't speak for fans of the series, and have no idea what players with whom you've never had any interaction actually want.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Well like I said before it's not a big deal but forced diversity and inclusion will always stink in my book.
To clarify: you believe that giving people the option is "forcing" something? But removing the option, and making everybody play as men, wouldn't be "forcing" it... even though it's literally a greater restriction on choice?

What an upside-down standard to apply.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
jademunky said:
Hah, wow I thought I was the only person left in the world who actually read those things.
I've read the first two of the original Doom novels. The first, without hyperbole, might be one of the worst novels I've ever read. The second is slightly better, but it's still really, REALLY bad.

On the other hand, the two Doom 3 novels that were released are actually decent to good.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Hawki said:
jademunky said:
Hah, wow I thought I was the only person left in the world who actually read those things.
I've read the first two of the original Doom novels. The first, without hyperbole, might be one of the worst novels I've ever read. The second is slightly better, but it's still really, REALLY bad.
Yeah, you don't want to keep reading. Well, maybe you do depending on how you feel on the whole "Mormonism saves the world from
aliens pretending to be demons"
thing. The Mormon church plays an important role in the third novel (because obviously! that just seems like a logical no-brainer when adapting a 90's video-game-splatter-fest).

And yeah, that's right,
there are no actual demons in the original Doom novels. Not one! Something it and the motion picture have in common but with different explainations for their not-demons.

Wakey87

Sep 20, 2011
You might aswell cry racial diversity and have blacks on the Axis side aswell.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
jademunky said:
Yeah, I'm aware of the whole "they're not demons, they're aliens" thing. While the novels would be lacklustre even if that plot point didn't exist, it strikes me as baffling. Seriously, this is a game with a story that boils down to "demons are invading, kill them," and both the early novels and film decide to cut out the whole demon/Hell element.

Furthermore, the whole "humans advance faster than any other race" in the novels also reminds me of Harry Turtledove's WWII novels - what with the Race invading in WWII and whatnot.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Hawki said:
jademunky said:
Yeah, I'm aware of the whole "they're not demons, they're aliens" thing. While the novels would be lacklustre even if that plot point didn't exist, it strikes me as baffling. Seriously, this is a game with a story that boils down to "demons are invading, kill them," and both the early novels and film decide to cut out the whole demon/Hell element.

Furthermore, the whole "humans advance faster than any other race" in the novels also reminds me of Harry Turtledove's WWII novels - what with the Race invading in WWII and whatnot.
I think the film did it due to fear of offense causing lost sales. Demons are the bad guys in Christianity after all.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Fieldy409 said:
I think the film did it due to fear of offense causing lost sales. Demons are the bad guys in Christianity after all.
Yeah, but if you're spending most of your time killing demons, shouldn't Christians be happy?

I can sort of understand the idea here, but this wasn't a big budget film ($60 million). I don't think they had to worry about Christians being offended, when they could already tap into a pre-existing fanbase.

Doesn't help that the film's lacklustre regardless of its status as an adaptation, but even that aside, I think demons would give it a bit more identity than as an Aliens knockoff.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
That's like 2 handful of women
Put those goal posts back, sparky. You said there were none or just, a couple. I just named entire units (and there are more if you count every partisan setup out there).

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
So if I don't buy it because of other issues I have with the game that have nothing to do with gender politics- am I still a raging mysogynist?

This is just Ghostbusters and Red Tails all over again. With a less-than stellar audience reception, do the creators address the valid shortcomings of their work? Or do they take the easy route and attack the vocal sexist/and or racist haters because they're easy meat?

Nobody batted an eye when MOH: Underground came out featuring a playable woman in WW2 featured on the cover. Or when the BF1 reveal trailer showed a Bedouin woman active in WW1. There's more at work here than simple sexism.

Jan 27, 2011
Squilookle said:
So if I don't buy it because of other issues I have with the game that have nothing to do with gender politics- am I still a raging mysogynist?
The guys didn't say that. They said that IF the women was too much for you, then, well, don't buy it.

If you didn't play it for other issues, then, no, you're obviously not sexist.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Squilookle said:
Fuck No! I don't intend to buy it and it has nothing to do with the message of the game. I don't feel any social guilt due to my consumer choices and I doubt you do either.