EA Predicted APB's Poor Reception

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
always ez to say "I told you so" after the fact lol

Probably would have done better if they advertised it more. I literally had no idea it released until i saw it on sale for Steam. Before that I had no idea what the game was like. No news, nothing to peek my interest (granted i didnt go looking for news, but i shouldnt have to). They never ramped up the hype train.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
ASnogarD said:
Probably due to the fact EA pushed through the premature relaease and forced the unusual payment scheme...sorry, even WoW doesnt muster the power to justify a buy the game, and pay for the time you actually play scheme.

Take note designers, most players dont want to be arsed with fancy pay per hour shite, most would merely ask how much per month and then tell you to STFU till the next billing. Mess with the formulae and you already take a huge hit in popularity, so if the product dont match the audicity of the payment scheme... welcome to the dole.
APB had a pay-per-month model as well. The pay-for-hours model came about because it's quite a different game to WoW. And how do you know EA pushed the payment model? EA Partners just invest the money as far as I'm aware; the developer does what they want with it.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
And it is better then Saints Row 2 co-op because?

Anyway, I think it was killed by 2 flaws: freedom for griefing and no real storyline.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
It is a shame, the character creation system was easily the best and most in-depth I've ever seen in a game. I wish all involve success with finding new jobs / new pastures.

Pinguin

Aug 15, 2009
Shame EA couldn't force them to fix the crappy controls. And the poor maps. And the rubbish, superficial missions. If so they might've given the otherwise excellent character and vehicle customisation a point.

But they didn't, so that just left the second-rate third person shooter experience. No-one's going to pay a subscription for that.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
theultimateend said:
I got into the game.

Played the Tutorial and was like "Alright neat."

Got into the WORLD and almost immediately was blown to hell by a couple of guys with, what looked like, automatic shotguns.

I respawned...they were still outside.

"Hmmm...I could continue playing this game and get nowhere or go play any other MMO and have fun."

I chose the latter :/. I really hate forced PVP. That's why I quit wow initially, before someone slapped me in the face (metaphorically) and said "Hey artard you don't have to play a PVP server."
You must really like throwing away money if you didnt bother more than that.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Physics Physics Physics .... They have the physics built into the damn graphics cards so its easier to program! Why do they insist on using physics from another universe or planet? ... Do they hate earth so much? When I roll a car over, I expect gravity to continue to affect it even when its on its side. Its not supposed to mysteriously stop on its side because the game likes that sort of thing.

AI Intelligence. The entire city is full of blind and deaf pedestrians. Well I guess that explains why they stuck around in a city that is essentially in total anarchy.

Too many points were completely ignored. If they'd wanted to save the game. They should have told the accountants to shut up so they can release the game when it was finished properly.

And play balancing ... there was none. Griefer's paradise would be the best description.

Overall a great example of how NOT to do things.

Oh and EA ... saying "We told you so" ... doesn't help anyone. Including yourself.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Here's the strategy EA, fight for the character, car, and image creator and use it in your own sandbox game. Come on, Take 2 has GTA and Red Dead, THQ has Red Faction and Saint's Row, EA has no sandbox property. Not even Activision has one since there so busy making guitar hero clones and bland shooters.

coolman9899

May 20, 2010
Chipperz said:
coolman9899 said:
imgunagitusucka said:
If they had of had more servers to accomodate the australasian market, and released it for the 360, they would of had a chance.

ummm 360?

yeah no that wouldnt of helped
Oooh yes it would. It was based around third person combat, and a controller and a standardised hardware set would have made everything a LOT smoother.

It's a shame APB tanked, I enjoyed it for a while before the crippling bugs and the vastly underdeveloped matchmaking forced me to leave...
have you ever heard of an mmo on console and btw not everyone have internet on consoles all my friends dont...

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
This game looked interesting, but then I remembered I refuse to play anything that requires me to feed it a monthly fee.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
coolman9899 said:
have you ever heard of an mmo on console and btw not everyone have internet on consoles all my friends dont...
MMOs on consoles? Final Fantasy 11(? I think? can't remember the number), the new Final Fantasy MMORPG is gonna be on consoles too, and last I heard SquareEnix were pushing for PS3/360 compatible servers, Lineage 1+2, DC Universe Online, Champions was originally designed for the 360... And those are just the MMORPGs. You could also start going down the MMOFPS and even strategy games like Endwar, MAG and Kingdom Under Fire if you wanted to be really pedantic. Hell, Playstation home is technically an MMO on a console, just a really, really, really shit one.

Also, I don't know what the fact that not every console being online has to do with anything. I have a laptop that I keep offline, does that mean MMOs can't be on laptops?

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
First problem, the name.

Second problem, "tried to warn against possible poor reception". Why so soft? "WTF is this shit," feels more suitable.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Echo136 said:
theultimateend said:
I got into the game.

Played the Tutorial and was like "Alright neat."

Got into the WORLD and almost immediately was blown to hell by a couple of guys with, what looked like, automatic shotguns.

I respawned...they were still outside.

"Hmmm...I could continue playing this game and get nowhere or go play any other MMO and have fun."

I chose the latter :/. I really hate forced PVP. That's why I quit wow initially, before someone slapped me in the face (metaphorically) and said "Hey artard you don't have to play a PVP server."
You must really like throwing away money if you didnt bother more than that.
Didn't cost me a penny. Some guy who really enjoys my work as a GM gave me a CD key for it for some "refer folks" event thing. I had X hours of free time to play.

So quite the contrary, I don't like throwing money away so I didn't invest into it.

Blackjack 222

Dec 2, 2009
1. EA stop lying, not a damn member in charge of that pile of crap could see a fist flying towards his nose, let alone this obvious mistake.
2. We all know it was EA that chose how to manage it.
3. EA sucks, drove what could have been a good game into the dirt by rushing RTW
4. At the risk of repeating myself(never seems to stop me) the customization that was "worth the money" is not worth the money when you have to play through that crappy combat to get it.