EA Remains Hopeful For a Deal With Bungie

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Remains Hopeful For a Deal With Bungie

Bungie [http://www.bungie.net] is flying the Activision flag these days but there was a time when rival publisher Electronic Arts was also digging hard to bring the Halo studio under its tent and the company remains hopeful that someday it'll be able to make that deal.

It was big news a few weeks back when Bungie revealed that it had signed an exclusive Santa Monica [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100329-Bungie-Signs-Deal-With-Activision] when it was looking for a new partner.

"We had extensive conversations with them, but could never really figure out a deal that made sense for both of us. It just didn't come to fruition," EA Partners head David DeMartini admitted to CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=246829]. "Obviously, they were able to come up with some kind of deal that made sense to Activision and made sense to Bungie and we hope they make great games. It's healthy for the industry to have big independent studios that are making great products."

DeMartini said Bungie looked like a "great fit" for the EA Partners program, which publishers and distributes games developed by a number of high-profile studios including Valve, Crytek, Harmonix and Epic. "But at the same time, we have a very specific set of criteria we have in regards to our deals," he added. "It's not good to enter into a partnership that doesn't make financial sense for both sides."

He remains hopeful, however, that a future deal between Bungie and EA [http://www.ea.com] will happen, despite the failure of earlier talks and the partnership with arch-rival Activision. "I don't want to see them fail - I want them to be successful. And when they start up a second team, we'll have other discussions with them about that game as well - because they're a great studio," he said. "There are probably only 20 studios in the world that are that highest level - and they're certainly one of them."

EA may have lost out on the Bungie sweepstakes, but it did manage to pick up most of the important parts of Respawn Entertainment [http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/]. The cosmic scales of the universe, as they say, remain in balance.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I just hope that Bungie remains as community friendly as they are now...

They really love their community. Even if more than half of it is douchebags/underage kids.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Coming next year! The ultimate fight!!

Call of Duty: Combat Evolved vs Medal of Honour: Modern Warfare

Place your bets people!!

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
I personally hope Not! EA already screwed all of it's own licenses and i don't want to see other franchises being tainted by EA.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Orcus_35 said:
I personally hope Not! EA already screwed all of it's own licenses and i don't want to see other franchises being tainted by EA.
so you rather have activision be in charge? also if you dont already know they cant make any more Halo games after Reach. That is, if they decide to make another one in 10 years.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
If they would do to Bungie what they did to Westwood and Bullfrog, I'll personally hunt them down and murder every EA executive personally. A horror like that cannot be permitted to happen again!

Sure, Activision is the big baddy in the game industry now, but I'll never forgive EA for those 2 horrible crimes. I'd watch a deal like this very very closely.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Ranooth said:
Coming next year! The ultimate fight!!

Call of Duty: Combat Evolved vs Medal of Honour: Modern Warfare

Place your bets people!!
Isn't that what we're getting this Christmas? A Call of Duty with Future-esque Weapons (An Exploding Crossbow) and a Medal of Honour in Modern Warfare?

Calumon: Ironyyyy!

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Korten12 said:
Orcus_35 said:
so you rather have activision be in charge? also if you dont already know they cant make any more Halo games after Reach. That is, if they decide to make another one in 10 years.
hey, they do have imagination and creativity, Halo is just one of the many universes that was done VERY WELL! so something new and fresh won't disturb me.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Orcus_35 said:
Korten12 said:
Orcus_35 said:
hey, they do have imagination and creativity, Halo is just one of the many universes that was done VERY WELL! so something new and fresh won't disturb me.
okay? but thats not what I was talking about, you said "...and i don't want to see other franchises being tainted by EA" implying you are talking about a exisiting franchines being ruined.

also plus being tainted? Atleast EA doesnt force most of its developers (besides sports) to release a game EVERY YEAR, you dont hear about more then one developer on Battlefield do you? We should be glad Activision doesnt have a full gripe on Bungie. You also dont see EA making dlc $15! I could buy Battlefield 1943 for that much!

Seatownstriker

May 19, 2010
As far as I know, its just a partnership with Activision. They have no control over the development process. Its not a merging into Activision.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Korten12 said:
Orcus_35 said:
Korten12 said:
Orcus_35 said:
okay? but thats not what I was talking about, you said "...and i don't want to see other franchises being tainted by EA" implying you are talking about a exisiting franchines being ruined.

also plus being tainted? Atleast EA doesnt force most of its developers (besides sports) to release a game EVERY YEAR, you dont hear about more then one developer on Battlefield do you? We should be glad Activision doesnt have a full gripe on Bungie. You also dont see EA making dlc $15! I could buy Battlefield 1943 for that much!
i wasn't talking about that. btw have you seen their terrible way of making online gaming only available for those who pay the game Newly bought?

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/epicbattlecry/10944

i'm not saying EA's worst than Activision or viceversa because it's pointless to argue about that. i'm just saying what could possibly happen as i view it.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Orcus_35 said:
Korten12 said:
Orcus_35 said:
Korten12 said:
Orcus_35 said:

i wasn't talking about that. btw have you seen their terrible way of making online gaming only available for those who pay the game Newly bought?

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/epicbattlecry/10944
yeah but they dont, 1) milk their good franchies (sports have a reason for yearly release) 2) over price dlc 3) have a retarted and evil CEO at their backs.

and I see what you saying but most likely they would be in better hands with EA then Acitivison, I mean I wouldnt be suprised to see some law case against Activision by Bungie in the next couple of years.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Jack and Calumon said:
A Call of Duty with Future-esque Weapons (An Exploding Crossbow)
What's futuristic about crossbow bolts with an explosive tip?
Nay, not Explosive tip, but a timer with something that makes the equivalent of a grenade explosion.

Calumon: We need Mythbusters in here.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
Nay, not Explosive tip, but a timer with something that makes the equivalent of a grenade explosion.

Calumon: We need Mythbusters in here.
That too sounds relatively simple. I mean, we live in an era with laser weaponry [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LThD0FMvTFU] and sniper drones [http://www.switched.com/2010/04/22/army-tests-sniper-drone-chopper-for-use-against-somali-pirates/] putting a little timer on a small grenade is child's play. Heck, that's WW2 technology.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The cosmic scales of the universe, as they say, remain in balance.
If EA would have been able to get it's hands both on Bungie and IW (Respawn) . . . wow. I mean sales wise would they have ANY competition? Not to mention having both Battlefield and Metal of Honor.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Orcus_35 said:
I agree. EA does not have a good name anymore...just yet another company that is screwing over their fanbase like crazy. You would have to be a complete idiot to buy any more EA games these days. DRM hell!!!!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Considering the reaction of Activision when they caught West and Zampella merely talking to Riccitiello, a man they worked with for nearly a decade, but also head of EA. Does it not seem likely that Activision/Bungie's contract includes a no fraternisation with EA representatives at all ever clause?

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Digikid said:
Orcus_35 said:
I agree. EA does not have a good name anymore...just yet another company that is screwing over their fanbase like crazy. You would have to be a complete idiot to buy any more EA games these days. DRM hell!!!!
That may have been true 5 years ago, but it certainly isn't true today. EA has made a huge turnaround. EA has published games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Battlefield, and Dead Space, and they distributed games like The Orange Box, Left 4 Dead, and Rock Band.

You'd have to be an idiot to NOT own at least one of their games.