EA Reportedly Cancelled Mirror's Edge Sequel

pntaylor

Reticulating Splines
Mar 16, 2010
Shame to hear this as I really enjoyed the original for simply that; it was original. I'm hoping that it'll lie dormant for a wee while then at some point DICE will pick it up as a side project and release a sequel.

Pipe dreams I know but I don't care.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
I thought EA had loads of rubbish movie tie-ins and copy games to make money off, meaning that good games that people actually want don't need to sell like CoD to be warranted a sequel.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Frustrating, especially when the fixes needed to make it a great game are so blindingly obvious.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
What a shame, it had such potential.

I only played the demo but I though it was refreshing and quite interesting.

Warrior Irme

May 30, 2008
If the game got the fixes it needed than a sequel would have sold much better. It was already a fun game to play, just need less combat and more high speed acrobatics.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Come on. I was hoping for a sequel. Mirror's Edge was a great game and it'd be a waste of the engine if they didn't make another game.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Mirrors Edge is easily in my top 3 favorite games OF ALL TIME.

It can't be dead...We need more originality in games and Mirrors Edge had it.

You bastards.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Trucken said:
I honestly wouldn't trust anything said by Aftonbladet. It prints rumors and half-truths as facts, sometimes even outright lies.
I second that, taking gaming news from a notoriously faulty tabloid newspaper aren't what I would call proper source criticism.

OT:
Appropriate and it never gets old.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Wait wait wait,

They would give a sequel to Dead Space which was received "Okay" by critics but still sold pretty well but not give Mirrors Edge the same chance to polish up?

EA fail.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Mirror's Edge was one of the best games I ever played, yes it had it's problems but it did something new. Even if there isn't going to be a sequel we can appreciate what it contributed to them medium, but also saddens me that EA wouldn't want to pursue this further for the sake of innovation D:<

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Baneat said:
Trucken said:
I honestly wouldn't trust anything said by Aftonbladet. It prints rumors and half-truths as facts, sometimes even outright lies.
Can you follow up on this? This is one of my top five games evar, and it'd be good to throw doubt on the claim that it's dead.
I read the interview just now, and if Aftonbladet has printed his words correctly he basically said "EA is talking about maybe doing something with Mirrors Edge, but nothing is written in stone".

The interesting part is when the reporter says "To me it sounds like you're confirming that Mirrors Edge 2 is on it's way" and he replies with "No, I can't actually do that. But I can say that we are working continuously to reflect on how we should take the brand further". It sounds like a strange answer, maybe they're keeping it unde the radar?

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I think cancelled at this point is a little strong. It's still entirely possible it will happen. I'm guessing it was either put off for the time being, or EA wants more people on Battlefield 3.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Say what EA? Good NEW non-conventional games don't bring you enough money? Bloody money hungry bastards. They sleep on money to the point where they could just make it for the "fun" of it and still make money of it :|

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
A game like Two Worlds gets a sequel (only a billion games like it) but a game that was very original & fun gets shelved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJZ-mJm7jQ8

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
Nooooooooooo! You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you!

But seriously this is a rather disappointing but not entirely unforseen turn of events. I know alot of people who were anticipating the sequel, particularly my friend Josh who is a free-runner and extolled the realism and simulation of the first game.

I would have loved to have seen a resolval of many of the problems that plagued the first game, as well as better online play options (Josh suggested the idea of a roof-top tag mode which I think is brilliant personally).

At least they still have the rights for a while longer and can leave the future open to possibilities though the near-future may be grim.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Oh come now, we all know that we just have to wait for Portal 2 to come around and sell more copies than the bible. Shortly after that, we WILL have Mirror´s Edge 2, as it is the only puzzle-ish first person game EA currently has on hand.

If people want this kind of game, ultimatly, they will get it.
Which, by the way, is why I can´t even remember when I last bought a gritty(tm) war-shooter.
I just don´t want to support this unimaginative, derivative sh*t.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
EA wasted the concept of the first Mirror's Edge with crappy controls, am incredibly stupid story shoehorned badly into the gameplay, bad collision detection, too much fancy-ass faffing about with silly obstacle courses and not enough of Faith getting her running shoes on. Hence it sold badly as word spread that it didn't live up to the concept. Serves EA right for rush-releasing it, maybe they'll learn something from this and take more time with games in the future to make sure the execution lives up to the idea. In today's market, I doubt it though - they'll probably consider it a risk and thus just keep making the same mistakes. Oh well.