EA: Retail is Great and Day-One DLC is Awesome

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Gearhead mk2 said:
EA: The greatest trolls in the videogame industry.

OK, the greatest ones that are real.
If Hazama were real he'd make everyone on 4Chan look like a bunch of pussies.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
[img height=300 width-300]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nSU6L_WlSkU/S8ZVgE-iXQI/AAAAAAAACAM/7hQsWENP060/s1600/dick9we3.jpg[/img]

"Some day we will figure out a way to just take your money without having to make these stupid games."

I do have to give him credit for coming out and saying that he loves over-charging for games. At least someone is being evil and honest.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sooooo...yeah, didn't he just fully and proudly admit that day 1 DLC is ripping the consumer off by charging them $80 to get all the content on the disc?

*sigh* Seriously, I'd prefer it if they just bumped the price to 80 and release the full fucking game. At least then they'd be being honest about it rather than "hiding" crap on the disc.

And Sentient Captcha strikes again: "Skid Row"

MPerce

May 29, 2011
God...that last paragraph is hilariously trollish. He doesn't give a FUCK.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
EA likes making more money in the short term because it makes good sales data! Stop the presses!

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Just when you thought EA can't get eviller and stupider, they go and blow out the bottom of the barrel and sink themselves 60 feet more.

I'm not sure whether to cry or rage.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Saying they love retail but hate the used game market is kind of like saying "You're great, but that left arm isn't working for me."

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
So Day 1 DLC has gone from being a "necessary evil" to being awesome. At least he's being honest with us rather than giving us some bullshit. I still think they will tell us that they are starving because some people buy used though. Really, I'm in favour of day 1 DLC since I think they deserve a share of games anyway, but that's when they actually include all of the content when they sell it new.

Kapol said:
The last paragraph alone kinda shows how much of a greedy prick the guy is. Don't get me wrong, I'm not inharently against day-1 DLC as a concept. There can even be cases made where some of the content is already on the disk because it was ready by the time they were done with the bug-testing and other things. But his comment made it pretty obvious that the stuff could be included. It just doesn't have to be.

I do wonder if that 40% adoption rate for the ME3 DLC includes the CE as well. And I also wonder if he realizes that was pretty much only because it was a very well-known game and a fairly interesting character with a good story arch.
I can't agree more with you. He admits openly that he loves Day 1 DLC because he can squeeze an extra 20 out of people already paying full price.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
And EA wonders why it was voted worst company in America! GAAAAAAAAAAH?!
I love how haters such as yourself keep bringing that up. A no name website sends EA a Golden poo trophy (real classy btw), and EA brushes them off (the same response anyone would give in that situation), and you act like it all meant something.

News flash, it doesn't.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
This isn't even shocking anymore.

Having EA pull a dick move and be proud of said dick move happens so often these days that i'd be more surprised if they didn't pull a dick move.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
This is ridiculous.

It is the definition of trying to have your cake and eat it.

Free Day 1 DLC is a great tool to incentivize people to buy a new copy of your game.

Premium Day 1 DLC is a great tool to encourage people to buy a cheaper used copy of your game just so they don't feel like they're being cheated.

They want people to buy new and pay for Day 1 DLC. It's not going to happen, despite popular opinion people aren't that stupid.

Getting the Cat Woman DLC Free was the only reason I didn't buy a used copy of Arkham City.

EA probably just doesn't realize that winning the Golden Poo was supposed to be a wake-up call and not a reward.

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
Grey Carter said:
afraid of what happened to the PlayStation Network when 77 million accounts were accessed by Anonymous in 2011,"
Did I miss something? I'm fairly sure it wasn't Anonymous (or, to be more accurate, someone acting under the banner of Anonymous) but Lulzsec. I don't remember Anonymous ever really having all that much to do with the credit card details being stolen.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
EA claim retail purchases are safer ...
Yet their retail releases force installation of Origin, which includes RMT among other things.

Gotta love how it just demonstrates beyond doubt that EA are well aware how uneducated and sloppy both their customers and related media outlets are.
Nobody is in position to educate the consumers in this setup except EA themselves.

"You can trust us, not those pesky Japanese!" Yeah, right, Mr.ImScanningAllOfYourHardDrive.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
If the DLC had a 40% adoption rate "Less people will buy it" is no longer an excuse for selling 2% of the content for 20% of the price

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
teh_Canape said:
On-Disc DLC is pretty damn idiotic
although I do think retail is pretty alright
as available and cheap as digital might be, it can't beat the wonderful smell of a brand new game box
Finally! Someone else shares my point of view. Nothing quite like unwrapping a brand new game from it's plastic.