EA Turns Its Back on Single-Player Games

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
"yeah, i really want multiplayer on DA3!"

-nobody.

there is nothing worse then a use MP component that nobody likes, because you wasted money, time and effort in making it.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
Yet another reason to add to the pile of reasons to ignore anything EA has a hand in. Although admittedly I mentally scrubbed them after Battlefield 3, so really this does not directly influence any of my future purchasing decisions. It does reinforce them, however.
Damn you reminded me of Battlefield 3...

The fuck EA? Seriously?

Fuck you then > > I may very well not bother with the new Medal of Honor now, seems like it'll have a 3 hour campaign and require me to use fucking facebook as well as battlelog.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Hark my lords and ladies doth thou hearest what I hear?
Zoons! It seemseth that it is EA plummeting from the heavens like Lucifer!

Egads they seem to not be noticing such a shame
Spot of tea?

Secuirty Check?
BACK TRACK! EA might want to do that.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
As long as the "connected" aspect is optional, I don't care. I'll pick and choose which games to buy as usual.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
So basically, they intend to cram micro-transaction into EVERYTHING!

EA's disconnected from reality certainly. What makes it sad is that the combination of their exclusive licensing and aggressive marketing means a majority of users will just go with it.

It's a shame, it already damaged Mass Effect 3, it's probably going to damage Dead Space Part 3. It will damage Battlefield 3 when they pull the plug on support for it (See Bad Company/BC2) and people will keep buying it, because they're stupid.

Ah well, Planetside 2, Black Mesa Source, World of Warplanes and Natural Selection 2 are coming, you now have no excuse to buy an EA made shooter ever again!
The day they pull the plug on Bad Company 2 is the day I stop playing any games EA have made. It's the only one left that I can be bothered with.

Apr 28, 2008
You know what? I don't want a Mirror's Edge sequel EA. Because you'll probably just shoe-horn in some multiplayer component and turn it into yet another shooter in an attempt to appeal to a "broader audience".

Mortamus said:
"Single Player games can't hold up in today's market"

Oh I'm sorry, how many copies of Skyrim sold? and are still selling?
Also Witcher 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hmmm..

The name EA in the title? Check.
People basically not even reading the article and jumping to hate filled conclusions? Check.
Me not being surprised? Check.

I really have no issue with this as long as the connected content is thoughtful and well done. While I don't feel that the changes made to Dead Space are good, the always connected nature of a sports title or FPS is great, the multiplayer in ME3 was very fun (though tied into single player in a bizarre way), and having a facebook connected experience to supplement DA1/2 was kind of cool.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
When I looked at the header I thought they've gave up on single-player way before that, guess I stand corrected.

What is this bullshit though?

I love games, don't get me know, but I don't think I'd like to be connected to a single game all the time.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Good, good, I for one can't wait for all the high quality games that will be released from the bowels of EA.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
well ....

there's even less reason for me to buy from EA, *looks at that list* .... i need to start on a new wall it seems ...

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Krantos said:
Seriously, WHAT?

WHAT?

EA are you TRYING to run yourself out of business?!
They won't run themselves out of business. They'll just run beloved franchises into the ground by forcing studios to waste time, effort, and money on superfluous multiplayer modes that would have been better spent on making the games actually good.

So they'll kill off everything you ever loved about your favorite franchised while they force their studios to develop not based on their own vision but some executives list of bullet points that are necessary for a top selling game. They'll run your favorite studio into the ground and shut them down, all why wondering why they lost the support of their fans.

But they'll always have franchises that make them plenty of money - people will keep buying EA sports games, and the other various cash cows they have.

EA proudly bringing us into the "Paint by the numbers" age of game development.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Oh yes EA, because as we've seen single player games have never sold. Ever. IN the history of gaming no one has ever brought a single player game. And they never will.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
I say this on a lot of EA news but DEAR GOD EA YOU HAVE THE WORST PR DEPARTMENT IN THE HISTORY OF ANY COMPANY.

Monkeys could do a better job.

Captcha: I am captcha!
Yes captcha, yes you are.

Zburator

Aug 20, 2012
Mcoffey said:
You just know it's gonna be death match/horde mode or some shit. Doing the thing that makes sense for the property is expecting too much from EA.
I was kinda hoping Bioware would take a shot for competence and assume a multiplayer feature that fitted with the game. They kept prattling on about how Dragon Age was the 'spiritual successor' to Baldur's Gate (at least I think they did) and stuff, then they probably can figure out that I loved bringing in a friend so that he can take the revered task of controlling the other half of the party because I was too lazy.

My intentions were horrible but the payoff was nice.

I don't really understand what they are saying though, they say turning their back 'single player', but a fair bit of the article was about being connected to online services and shizzle.

Eh, in the end, I think my feelings are neutral, I guess whatever this guy says, it comes down to the developer to figure out how to install said multiplayer features.

Hopefully.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
And nothing of value was lost.

I know they have IP's that have many fans but i honestly think they are better off dead.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
oh well as i prefer single player expiriances i suppose i will not be buying anything from EA for quite a long time. oh well

not many tears shed here there are other companies I will survive

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Yeah, EA can go bye bye now.

I've been losing respect for them for a long time, by this point its entirely gone.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
No people this is actually GOOD news.

If this is true than that means EA won't have it's claws anymore in non-MMO, campaign based RPGs.
Well okay, it also means R.I.P. Bioware, but who really cares about them anymore.

The good thing is we now have a couple more sub-genres that still have money in them and that are completely safe from EA further ruining them.