EA Turns Its Back on Single-Player Games

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Thus we end up with things like Dead Space 3, which has evolved from a solo horror experience to a co-op shooter.
I remember playing a co-op mode of System Shock 2, modded in for that matter, that worked really well and didn't degrade the horror experience of that game much at all. The key, I think, is to keep focus on the horror theme. Even with two people running around in that game you could still get killed really easily.

OT: If EA wants to broaden their appeal, why are they striving to make all their games the same? People aren't going to buy the same thing over and over and the audience will be wider with more variety.

I mean, if EA ran a restaurant would they insist on serving everyone nacho cheese spaghetti burgers with ice cream sauce?

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Idiot. The ridiculous mindset that all games have to be multiplayer has got to go. I like both. I will NOT like ALL games being multiplayer, because some games do NOT NEED IT. Mass Effect, for example.

/facepalm EA

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
EA's marketing and PR really not doing so good a job. But hey if you can still make a quality single player experience after tacking on all this online stuff you'll still get my money.... Lets just see how that goes. In the mean time back to playing King of Dragon Pass one of the best games I've played all year. A 12 year old role playing strategy game with no online components.

Lybs

Nov 8, 2010
........................ I've got nothing, i think this idiocy speaks for itself.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Jhooud said:
Multiplayer experiences can be fun, but I still enjoy sitting down with a solid, single-player game. Darksiders 2 and Skyrim are currently my faves, but I'd hate to not have had God of War, Uncharted, Batman, the original Dead Space, etc etc etc.
And then there's the added advantage of the single-player not going dead after 6 months.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Didn't Valve say the exact same thing a ways back everyone just went "Ok cool" ? But I know by now that the rule is if Valve does something it is revolutionary and good, while if EA does something it is evil and bad.

OT: I don't have brand loyalty and I will continue to buy EA games as long as they produce games that I enjoy. I also think its worth mentioning that a multi-player mode doesn't automatically make a game bad, dead space 2, mass effect 3, and bioshock 2 all had tacked on MP and still manged to be great games.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Silly EA! You're supposed to make less people hate you, not more! Your actions always crack me up. =D

Go fuck yourself. >=|

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Johnson McGee said:
I remember playing a co-op mode of System Shock 2, modded in for that matter, that worked really well and didn't degrade the horror experience of that game much at all. The key, I think, is to keep focus on the horror theme. Even with two people running around in that game you could still get killed really easily.
Funny, I had completely the opposite experience with SS2: the marine running ahead blasting the bejeezus out of everything, rendering my efforts to stay back and take it slow completely irrelevant. It was basically a walking tour through a battleground for two of us. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to play it like that, but from my perspective it added absolutely nothing of value and actually corrupted the isolation and loneliness that was so essential to the "real" experience.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Well, that's fucktarded. I've decided that, today, I shall be angry at EA. Constantly.

Not only has this decision pissed me off, but having to accept yet another version of the terms of service to play Kingdoms of fucking amalur this morning (which is single player, and EA have should have no right to piss all over it) reminded me how unbelievably evil they are.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Gizzat- Phrrm- Iggidibah?

Wow... PopCap and Bioware have got to love this...

So, is there any way to buy negative EA games, short of illegal activity?...

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
As usual, EA has managed to find the absolute worst way to say something in their never ending quest to please investors.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
The &^%$ that comes out of EA's mouth just keeps getting dumber and dumber. In what fantasy world does EA think it's evolved with their consumers?

Parshooter

Sep 13, 2009
What are the chances the pull a Steam sale insult and have a couple of new single player games that show up next week.

Otherwise the next Dragon Age will suck.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
EA I have a word for you.

OT: Really? Did you learn nothing from ME3? A tacked on multiplayer component will just pis people off. Not every game needs multiplayer. Sure CoD has tons of... Is that what this is about? You want people to play with you? EA... stop being such an idiotic jerk and make some decent fucking games and we might come play with you again.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
This smells like another excuse to "add value" to Facebook or worse: Origin. I am not interested.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
This is so sad.
Some thing are not meant to be a multiplayer experience. Adding multiplayer regardless will always feel tagged on and might, if done wrong, even impair the single player experience (e.g. ME3 galactic readiness before the update).
They are actively limiting their developers creativity by enforcing mindlessly a misled company policy.
If your game concept does not involve MP then EA is not going to give you any money.
Too bad EA is dying so slowly despite themselves trying to fasten the progress...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Mortamus said:
"Single Player games can't hold up in today's market"

Oh I'm sorry, how many copies of Skyrim sold? and are still selling?
What he meant was "We can't cram a $10 online pass to a single player game."
Relevant craptsha: two left feet