EA Turns Its Back on Single-Player Games

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I thought they already announced that they were not going to make any of their games single-player only anymore so this doesn't surprise me.
I really hope they get run out of buisness soon.

Captcha: not yet
Indeed Captcha, they haven't been run out of buisness yet sadly.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
EA: Challenge Everything...even if it's in a completely ridiculous way. I can't say I'm going to miss buying your stuff EA, hurry up and burn.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
daibakuha said:
StriderShinryu said:
Hmmm..

The name EA in the title? Check.
People basically not even reading the article and jumping to hate filled conclusions? Check.
Me not being surprised? Check.

I really have no issue with this as long as the connected content is thoughtful and well done. While I don't feel that the changes made to Dead Space are good, the always connected nature of a sports title or FPS is great, the multiplayer in ME3 was very fun (though tied into single player in a bizarre way), and having a facebook connected experience to supplement DA1/2 was kind of cool.
You and I have similar opinions on the matter. The title of the article is blatantly nerdbaiting. This is more like something I would see on Kotaku rather than The Escapist.

The market is heading in this direction, whether people like it or not, most games are going to be launching with at least SOME form of multiplayer. This isn't a bad thing. The Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was actually pretty good, and I look forward to seeing how it's implemented in Dragon Age 3 (I hope it's a co-op, like in BG).
Wow, took a while, but there ARE other people who didn't jump into the "EA hates single player games!" boat.

I absolutely loved the ME3 datapad. It gave me the codex on the go so I didn't have to spend my gaming time going through it, AND... I have no shame in saying this, but I thought the text messages from your party members was a great way to help feel connected. It was like getting a voicemail from Mickey Mouse after you visit Disney World!

I'm no EA fan, but like you guys said, as long as it's done *WELL*, I have nothing against what they're saying here.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
daibakuha said:
StriderShinryu said:
Hmmm..

The name EA in the title? Check.
People basically not even reading the article and jumping to hate filled conclusions? Check.
Me not being surprised? Check.

I really have no issue with this as long as the connected content is thoughtful and well done. While I don't feel that the changes made to Dead Space are good, the always connected nature of a sports title or FPS is great, the multiplayer in ME3 was very fun (though tied into single player in a bizarre way), and having a facebook connected experience to supplement DA1/2 was kind of cool.
You and I have similar opinions on the matter. The title of the article is blatantly nerdbaiting. This is more like something I would see on Kotaku rather than The Escapist.

The market is heading in this direction, whether people like it or not, most games are going to be launching with at least SOME form of multiplayer. This isn't a bad thing. The Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was actually pretty good, and I look forward to seeing how it's implemented in Dragon Age 3 (I hope it's a co-op, like in BG).
More like people reading the article and jumping to obvious conclusions, ones we have already seen play out in reality. Also, the body of your paragraph assumes the very things you just referred to as hate filled conclusions.

The title of the article is descriptive of it's content.

It is a bad thing. They aren't making everything multiplayer or tacking services onto things because they think that's the best possible way to make the best possible game they can possibly make. Giant publishers like EA and Activision are striving to make games less like products and more like services because this takes away control from gamers and gives it to publishers while creating opportunities for monetization. Both EA and Activision are more than willing to make their games worse to achieve this type of control and have demonstrated it many times. It's very possible to contribute added value through these services or merely claim to like Activision. That's usually how you get people to swallow a bitter pill. In the meantime, we end up with games like Mass Effect 3 where the inclusion of multiplayer probably did hurt the rest of the game, as it usually will. There are only so many resources, there are only so many man-hours, there is only so much disc-space, and most decisions made and directions taken by developers overseeing a single and multi-player project must take both into account, no matter how many times they insist they are separate. There is no such thing. And Starcraft II doesn't have freaking LAN. Symptom of the same problem. Consumers aren't the only ones who get a vote on what products and services are made available to them. Publishers frequently are not responding to what the market wants them to do, they are herding consumers into doing things the way the publishers want them done. In the land of perfect competition, that may be impossible. But I've never been there, so I wouldn't know.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
That is one heck of a stupid thing to do.

Still, so long as I can authenticate the game and then go on with my own jolly single-player self, I'll be happy.

Or, y'know, that's what authentication server emulators are for. *cough*PiracyAsALastResort*cough*

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
So i should expect garbage that reeks even more now?

Thanks for the head up EA.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Here's the soundtrack for this thread -

And here's my reaction -

Because we can't really expect EA to make anything that lasts longer than a five minute distraction at best.

Ah well. Remind me that any EA Games I get in the future should be purchased in a way that gives them minimal/no cut from my money.

Also, a tenner says Jim will cut this apart this week.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Hearing this from EA is not surprising . This started years before! So its less "EA, you're idiots..." and more "EA being captain obvious."

The signs started back at Halo 2; the good multiplayer over the half-assed campaign. Then came MW2 by Infinity Ward, that campaign was shit...I put it down and didn't bother with it while they furthered the multiplayer even more. This isn't EA, its everywhere, even Valve. Think of it, I'm kind of frustrated that they don't get they don't even start Half Life 3 and not even leave TF2 alone for awhile. Do you guys even see that its more of a 90%-of-the-time-bad-cancer.

The pattern is evolving into games we know and love. Resident evil, Dead Space, Portal, Mass Effect, everything you think is sacred is slowly being corrupted by the multiplayer addition...

once again...sad but true.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Funny cocept of pride from EA. As I call only green lighting multiplayer games seems to suggest willful ignorance of the quite large number of consumers who want single player games and also suggest EA have no ideas how to attract customers beyond tacked on multiplayer and dlc. Oh well EA doesn't want my money, plenty others who do.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Remember that time this big game was bashed into oblivion over ridiculous Multiplayer tacked on top? Remember that time this big game was bashed into oblivion over always-on DRM? Remember that time this big game was bashed into oblivion over connecting everything and everyone?
Oh right, that all happened throughout the past six months.

Bloody idiots.

Go. To. Hell. EA.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Oh EA. In the face of being voted the worst company in the USA, they continue to say things that make themselves look stupid.... Not saying anything would have been better than this.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Cue condescending bullshit from Peter Moore in a spontaneous "interview" on Kotaku/IGN, about how it's all just a vocal minority overreacting, this is the best thing ever for the industry and people only hate on EA because it's cool.

Just fuck these cunts seriously.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
SkarKrow said:
The day they pull the plug on Bad Company 2 is the day I stop playing any games EA have made. It's the only one left that I can be bothered with.
They more or less have, the last update for it was a year ago on Sunday.

BF 2 was supported for five years, aside from sales it made a hell of a lot of money from ranked server rentals (only available from EA naturally) and in game advertising. It's a shame they've lost sight of that.
Oh I know that, but the servers are still there, I can still pop the disc in my PS3 and jump into a game fo at least 8v8 (usually a full game though) with a friend and spoend a few hours happily playing Bad Company 2, when they shut off the servers I'll be very sad, it's easily one of my favourite games of all time.

I'd pick it up on PC but it wouldn't be the same without my friends. I'd hate starting over too.