EA Turns Its Back on Single-Player Games

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
First EA boldly and proudly destroys the C&C Tiberium franchise with the abortion that was C&C 4.

Next, EA kills C&C Generals 2 by removing all single player components.

Finally, EA shoots themselves in the foot by removing all single player experiences in all of their games.

Way to go EA... You have effectively turned your back on a large population of gamers who don't particularly like the way you are ruining our games. Please, kindly accept the fact that many of us want to see you bankrupt so someone with talent and a passion for gaming can step up and make real games... You know... Good games.

I know I will never buy an EA game again...

I also wonder if they ever actually visit forums like this at EA. If they did, their marketing department may say, "Wait a minute... Maybe this isn't a good idea."

Nah... They won't do that. That would be listening to their customers...

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Is it just me or has EA proclaimed a new strategy every week this summer? "We won't develop exclusively single player games, We won't make games that don't have a chance of getting 90+ on metacritic, We won't develop new IPs until the next hardware generation, We are going to develop games using the 'Freemium' model, We're going to make gaming all digital, We're spending 250 million on a cross platform strategy, We aim to broaden audiences" I'm having a very hard time trying to figure what the hell they're going to make based on all of these strategies. They are painting themselves into a corner with their insane lack of understanding for what any of their customers actually want.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'm wondering something about Mass Effect 3, though:

Wasn't it explained that the Extended Cut DLC removes the obligation to play multiplayer, more or less negating the whole Galactic Readiness bullshit? I've read that somewhere here, a few months ago, but I don't know in which article or thread...

Basically, we're supposed to be able to reach the best ending just by playing the single-player naturally. If not, well... I'm sure there's ways to cheat or edit your way to full-on Galactic Readiness without putting up with all the artifact hunting or the multiplayer aspects.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
This basically means that your PC games will not stop having always online DRM because you'll get to keep using the excuse of how it has to be connected.

Which in turn basically means I will not be buying any EA games for my PC.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
In related news. The entirety of EA's AI programming department has been laid off due to falling stock prices.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Wow, just WOW.... my God what are they THINKING? Seriously everything DOESN'T have to be connected 24/7/365. There was a Happy Video Game Nerd where he reads from the back of the M.U.L.E. instruction manual, a blurb on how Electronic Arts were electronic artists. I wonder what they would say if they could see EA now? Multiplayer is nice and all, but don't do it if it doesn't work in the context of the game's setting(looking at Dragon Age 3) and if it detracts from the main game's development! I swear that's what happened with ME3, they SAY that it's not the case but consider this. I played through ME1 at least 5 times, ME2 at least 4 times. ME3 I've played through once. That's it, I can't even force myself to play through it to the end with a level 60 character it disappoints me so much still. And yet I can't get off of the MP aspect of it. Which is equally inane since it's only a small selection of maps and only 3 enemy types with wild variants in difficulty and a truly unforgiving unlock system. EA, stop this dammit!

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
IamLEAM1983 said:
I'm wondering something about Mass Effect 3, though:

Wasn't it explained that the Extended Cut DLC removes the obligation to play multiplayer, more or less negating the whole Galactic Readiness bullshit? I've read that somewhere here, a few months ago, but I don't know in which article or thread...

Basically, we're supposed to be able to reach the best ending just by playing the single-player naturally. If not, well... I'm sure there's ways to cheat or edit your way to full-on Galactic Readiness without putting up with all the artifact hunting or the multiplayer aspects.
As it was originally there were not enough War Assets in the game to reach the threshold for the 'breath' scene in the Destroy ending unless you played multiplayer (or the iPhone apps).

You could do every single thing throughout the franchise and still come up short without the multiplayer.

The Extended Cut did what you said, it lowered the EMS requirement to get that extra scene.

I really do think it is a shame that every game these days needs to have multiplayer forced in. If a title is going to have that option then at least design it from the ground up to include the modes. Don't just tack on a Horde mode in order to justify an online pass.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I always felt like they missed the point when I play DA2 and they ask me to sign in online for some reason, same for DA:O I believe. And it was complete bullshit I can't get the ending I wanted in ME3 because I didn't play multiplayer.

Anyways, I only care that they make good games. And since true co-op survival horror doesn't exist, I'm willing to bet alot of games are gonna be mutilated to fit into this online marketing bullshit.

I think maybe in a world where origin is the only gaming service this would be alittle more digestible. But with XBL, Steam, and all that; Origin looks like a pitiful knock off.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
So, EA says and does stupid shit and people get up in arms about it. In other news fire is hot :)
Seriously it's not like they've had any good ideas recently, and this is just another steaming pile EA's been dumping in the game market. If they want to tack on weak excuse for a multiplayer in every game they make, let them. We can always, I dunno....skip it. Yeah, that money would be better invested supporting developers that actually have good ideas, but so could enormous amounts they pump in their marketing department or in any of those yearly releases of Madden, NHL or FIFA games.

I'm not bothered by, nor do I care about tracking my stats, connecting through smartphone, tablet or announcing I'm playing the fucking game on Facebook and/or Twitter. I, like many other gamers will only be interested in game part of any game. If that alone is good enough to justify the purchase, than congratulations EA, you've made hypocrites of us all (again).

Asmundr

Mar 17, 2010
You knwo what my fear is now. Games like Dragon Age 3 are going to become multiplayer or crammed with a poorly done co-op feature. God help us if Dragon Age has the aforementioned...God help us all.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

I...

I've known EA has lacked a sense of what the gamer community wants for a long time but after the sales of Skyrim...

Wow. Do they just close the doors of the headquarters, turn off all the computers and phones and decide whatever they want without listening to the rest of the planet? Congrats EA, you managed to convince me I was giving you too much credit when it comes to thinking about the Gaming community.

Treerat

Dec 12, 2011
Seriously depressing words. I thought single player games sold very well, Skyrim, ME series, The Witcher games to name a few. Oh, EA please stop being such TOOLS!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Man... not being able to have the internet socially sucks! :(

I constantly move from base to base, and have never spent more than a few months somewhere... so never have the internet... now I find out that more and more of my favourite series or genres are abandoning me...

I seriously don't get online gaming either... when ever I play I find it fustrating... people shout and swear at me for no reason... I realise how much I suck compared to everyone else (yet for some reason have no trouble with single-player hard modes!) and I generally have a dissapointing time...

Don't get me wrong, it is good sometimes... but most of the time I don't like it! I like to take my time and explore games, and I feel uncomfortable in co-op, and under pressure, which I don't like on my downtime... that's what I go to work for! :/

Although, they do mean that there just won't be any sole single player games, but all games will have an element of connectivity... like score sharing right? Take Tiger Woods games for example... multiplayer works great there... it focuses less on the online vs (although it is there) but instead has challenges and little bonuses in the news bar! I love it when I make a good drive, and get the message saying I have beaten somebody... but without turning it into an actual competition... just a bit of fun! And I don't get a nasty message from the guy afterwards saying I hacked the game, and the stuff he will now do to my mum because of it...! :/

shinyumbreon

Mar 3, 2011
hey ea guess what your doing it wrong

you making activision and ubisoft look like good guys again please stop

you've had some great single player games one of my favorites was harry potter and the chamber of secrets ahh ea what happened

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Probably not the best idea EA have ever had.
Most of my favourite games are either single-player, or single-player focused.