EA Tweaking Mass Effect 3 to Appeal to Wider Market

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
kayisking said:
Hive Mind said:
kayisking said:
Hive Mind said:
Anytime someone working on the game says "shooter-meets-RPG", read it as: 'a shooter with dialog options'.

As if Mass Effect 2 wasn't dumbed down and turned into a first person shooter enough.
You are aware that it was third-person aren't you?
Yeah. Mistakes were made.

Someone pointed it out in a previous post. Read that if you wanna know why I screwed up.
Oops, didn't notice, my bad.
No, no. If I cared I'd edit my post. Can't blame you for not reading every post in a four page thread.

'Sall good.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Remember what happened last time EA tried to appeal to a wider audience? Dragon Age 2. After the disappointing shitfest that was Dragon Age 2, a game that "appealed to a wider audience", I'm not even going to bother with ME3 especially giving the fact that it's probably going to be stuffed with DLC.

Hellsen

Feb 11, 2011
Don't worry 20 years later their gonna release a prequel trilogy, than we'll have fond memories of how good the originals are.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
kayisking said:
You are aware that it was third-person aren't you?
I think he knows that, he's talking about the fact that for ME2 Bioware removed just about all the RPG elements and replaced them with stuff you see in an FPS. They removed weapon customization, item inventory, and free roaming on planets; all while adding cover based shooting and the levels were just a whole bunch shooting galleries. That's what he means by First Person Shooter like, not the POV

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
I'm having deja vu. Isn't this the exact same cynicism I heard prior to the release of Mass Effect 2? Calm yourselves, I hardly believe BIOWARE are letting EA run ruck shot over them.

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
Definetly looks like my enjoyment is going to go ME1>ME2>ME3.
Not everything has to be a fucking shooter. Darn you 12 year olds with ADHD.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
You know, I was cool with Bioware delaying ME3 for polish. I'm not sure that I like EA doing it.

Not a great track record, that.

More mainstream appeal? It's the third game in a trilogy. Do you even know who your audience is? It's people who liked the first two games!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
GoddyofAus said:
I'm having deja vu. Isn't this the exact same cynicism I heard prior to the release of Mass Effect 2? Calm yourselves, I hardly believe BIOWARE are letting EA run ruck shot over them.
But why be reasonable, when they can make wild speculations from a vague statement? Half of these posts look almost like toddlers throwing a temper tantrum. We haven't even seen any gameplay yet, and people are already acting like this is the "worst game evar".

EDIT

I'm wondering how many people even bothered to read the article beyond the headline.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
im not going to knock it until I see it. Mass effect 2 changes improved upon what mass effect one brought. Im hoping the game isnt dumbed down to the point of being call of duty in space but ill shall reserve my judgement until I play it myself

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I trust BioWare, but... EA if you mess up Mass Effect 3, I will purge your households of the first-born.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Mass Effect 2 got a lot more things right, but I was very happy when Casey Hudson said their team was going to bridge the gap between the games to please fans by having more of a hybrid that doesn't lose the action feel they finally picked up. Instead they're going to target the mass market even more? What kind of fucking publisher are they? The change was already made BEFORE they came into the picture. These people are ridiculous.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
"Broadening appeal to make lots of money and ensure we keep the franchise going" and "dumbing down" are not the same thing, people. I mean, this IS Bioware we're talking about. Have a little faith in them.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
With more than seven months to go before the game comes out, it's probably best to wait until we've seen something more than screenshots before we start making assumptions about the game.
Nonsense, we'll assume we already know everything about the game and what it's going to be like and we'll voice our disapproval about it.

Honestly, I'm a huge fan of the series and I found the RP elements to be lacking in ME2, but Bioware said they're going to try to find a balance for 3.
It may be my Bioware fanboy-ness talking, but I have faith that they can strike the promised balance even with the task of trying to make the franchise even more mainstream.

Although it may be my lack of expectations that's making me so optimistic about all this. The first Mass Effect was my favorite game EVAR and the sequel didn't live up to its predecessor (IMO) and I don't expect the third one to either, so I probably won't be disappointed, no matter what the game may turn out to be.

Heppo

Feb 16, 2011
Sorry if someone already put this...

There taking all the boring shooting gameplay and hard RPG elements out and replacing it with thrilling planet probe missions and near the end of the game the MAKO will be fixed and we'll get to explore the surface for places to mine.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Oh god, can we expect a Shepard-Cart mini game?

Cooking Shepard?

Shepard Tennis?

I could go on for days about things they could add.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
You know what? I actually think this might be a good idea. Mass Effect 2 was one of the best games I have ever played, and if more people can experience the awesomeness that is the series (well, the sequel anyway), I am totally cool with that. This idea gets the Breakfastman Seal of Approval!

Shilkanni

Mar 28, 2010
Jordi said:
Can anybody give me an example of when "tweaking to appeal to a wider market" did not mean "dumbing down"?
No.

Still if it's addressing investors obviously you're going to say "we're planning to make more money", and I'm sure the guy who said it has next to no say in what goes into the game.

I hope it just means "it's going to be really easy" but that some depth will still be there if we crank up the difficulty.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
Hellsen said:
Don't worry 20 years later their gonna release a prequel trilogy, than we'll have fond memories of how good the originals are.
Decades on, and I still think that Return of the Jedi was a massive disappointment. Pity. If they'd gone with the original idea of an Wookie anti-slavery rebellion, instead of changing it to the Ewoks instead, it could have been awesome. Would also have had some nice foreshadowing in A New Hope, when Chewie goes mental at Luke's suggestion he should put the slave bracers on as a disguise (implying that either Chewbacca was a former slave at one time, or that his people are enslaved).

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
EA tweaking?

time to cancel my pre-order

R.I.P command and conquer + mass effect and dragon age

westwood forever