EA Tweaking Mass Effect 3 to Appeal to Wider Market

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I think they decided to release the game next year mainly because of the top notch competition that will compete for GOTY(Witcher 2,Skyrim,Deus Ex etc).

bfgmetalhead

Aug 4, 2010
Tank207 said:
bfgmetalhead said:
Tank207 said:
bfgmetalhead said:
EA tweaking?

time to cancel my pre-order

R.I.P command and conquer + mass effect and dragon age

westwood forever
Yes why wait for actual news about the game? Let's all jump to conclusions before we've even seen any game-play footage. Have fun being melodramatic for no reason kiddo.
how about you look at EA's tweaking history and get back to me "kiddo"

bfg out
I'm reserving judgement until I actually see how the game turns out. Going apeshit to this degree over a game we literally know next to nothing about is pointless, and immature. People are too eager to find something to be angry about.
I was being sarcastic, im not going to cancel my pre-order silly. But I do fear for the future of mass effect as EA has less than no respect for it's consumers and will obliterate a franchise just to make a profit, look at command and conquer westwood made four amazing games. Then EA decided to start "tweaking" and we had generals (decent at best) command and conquer 3 (again decent at best as horrible balancing) then the horrible red alert 3 and the extremely awful command and conquer 4 which was so bad even EA had to admit it was bad! What i am trying to say is:
EA RUIN VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING THEY CAN GET THEIR CORRUPT MONEY GRABING HANDS ON IF GIVEN THE CHANCE OR TIME AND THEY WILL NEVER CHANGE UNLESS THERE TORTURED CONSUMER BASE BOYCOTS THEM.

sorry if that was blunt but yea thats the truth :)

p.s ment too quote don't flame for double post soz love you

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"See, we're going to drop this silly premise of making an homage to 1970s sci-fi shows, and make something generic and marketable, because hey, we don't give a fuck about the experience anymore, we just want them Benjamins."

Well, at least they're being honest about it.
Now I have even less reason to buy Mass Effect 3.

So much for giving Bioware full autonomy like you said you were going to EA. Then again, I suppose that claim should have been disproved the instant you ordered them to produce an RPG with a shitty third person shooter element at the height of that genre's popularity (Gears of War).

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
bfgmetalhead said:
Tank207 said:
bfgmetalhead said:
Tank207 said:
bfgmetalhead said:
EA tweaking?

time to cancel my pre-order

R.I.P command and conquer + mass effect and dragon age

westwood forever
Yes why wait for actual news about the game? Let's all jump to conclusions before we've even seen any game-play footage. Have fun being melodramatic for no reason kiddo.
how about you look at EA's tweaking history and get back to me "kiddo"

bfg out
I'm reserving judgement until I actually see how the game turns out. Going apeshit to this degree over a game we literally know next to nothing about is pointless, and immature. People are too eager to find something to be angry about.
I was being sarcastic, im not going to cancel my pre-order silly. But I do fear for the future of mass effect as EA has less than no respect for it's consumers and will obliterate a franchise just to make a profit, look at command and conquer westwood made four amazing games. Then EA decided to start "tweaking" and we had generals (decent at best) command and conquer 3 (again decent at best as horrible balancing) then the horrible red alert 3 and the extremely awful command and conquer 4 which was so bad even EA had to admit it was bad! What i am trying to say is:
EA RUIN VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING THEY CAN GET THEIR CORRUPT MONEY GRABING HANDS ON IF GIVEN THE CHANCE OR TIME AND THEY WILL NEVER CHANGE UNLESS THERE TORTURED CONSUMER BASE BOYCOTS THEM.

sorry if that was blunt but yea thats the truth :)

p.s ment too quote don't flame for double post soz love you
Then you have my apologies. It is sometimes difficult to read sarcasm through text if it isn't made obvious. And I will agree that there is some cause for concern, and I would like to know what exactly that vague statement was referring to. People constantly jumping to conclusions, with little to no evidence does get pretty annoying after a while though.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Haha, a while ago bioware was considered the perfect angels of game-design and for being flawless, I wonder what the people who thought that are saying now...

Oh yeah, they are doing what fans do, still praising something for no real reason other than pointless loyalty.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Anyone else get a chill down their spine when EA says "wide market appeal"?

Every time they say this, they appear to mean "we're getting rid of the quirky, interesting, new, innovative, and awesome ideas from the development team and instead making COD again but in space this time because space marines shift units."

I get that you need to appease your investors Mr.CEO, but keep behaving like that and your customers might not feel like paying for your third mansion to be built with a golden yacht on the roof.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
Azrael the Cat said:
You're perfectly justified to speculate based off off EA's history, but in the end it is still just speculation. Acting as if the game is "generic mass-produced drivel" at this point is still being cynical, despite the odds of it being true.

Maybe you have the wrong person, because I thought Mass Effect 2 was a vast improvement over its precursor. I also found Dragon Age Origins to be Bioware's best modern RPG. I can see what you're saying since it definitely seemed to be the case with Dragon Age 2 (So I have heard, I have not got around to playing it yet.) but that doesn't seem to be happening with Mass Effect; Why would they grant Bioware more time, resulting in missing the holiday season, if they weren't concerned with quality?

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Yes those stupid shooters with dialog options ever since that stupid Deus Ex game came out.

Im glad they are doing this actually, Mass Effect 2 they were still plucking their hairs for their two wives, but its good to see them actually sticking with the shooter aspect.

If the game really is the end of earth and a frantic battle, then a shooter would be a better choice than generally slow-paced RPG combat

Feb 13, 2008
Azrael the Cat said:
You know what I'm wondering. I'm trying to think of a single non-Bioware EA game that deals in any way deals with homosexuality.
Off the top of my head...

Infocom, Sierra Online, Acclaim's Simpsons series, The Longest Journey, Voyager: Elite Force, The Sims, Fable 2, Bully, Bioshock, Street Fighter...

There's quite a few, but it's a little 'closeted', if you'll pardon the pun. And it's usually in the games that also show homophobic characters and/or violence.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
It's important to remember, however, that this was a comment intended for investors, not gamers, so is undoubtedly lacking in context and detail.
Hey hey...yall remember that time that this one guy said a line to investors about takin the funn out of makin video games and everyone flipped their shit and silenced everyone who used brain power and said to stop takin the quote out of context and to understand it for what it meant? Yeah yall remember how none of those people actually did that?

Those are the people who will be flippin their shit over what was said in the news article. Ignore context, ignore logic, hell...ignore the fact that the game has over half a year to still be made and very few real details have come out about it.

baconfist

Sep 8, 2009
It's very simple really. Aiming for a bigger market means crapping on fans.

They sit down and say "Alright no matter what we do the fans will buy this game so lets make it for the people who don't like this game."

Then you end up with a result that fans hate because it no longer resembles what they liked. People who normally wouldn't play this type of game still hate it and the entire series dies here since it was such a major failure. At least this is how they do it in the movie industry.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Part of me thinks this is all just wild speculation over a simple comment. I can't help but feel a bit worried though. Mass Effect 3 is one of my most anticipated games at the moment, and I'd hate for it to be completely ruined by something stupid on EA's part.

Of course that's not going to get me to cancel the pre-order I have on the game right now. I'm still buying the game no matter what. I'll be the judge on whether I think the game is good or not when I play it.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
Haha, a while ago bioware was considered the perfect angels of game-design and for being flawless, I wonder what the people who thought that are saying now...
There is no such thing as perfection, because that is subjective. What is a masterpiece to one person, may not be that great for another. And there are many things that can be taken away from that vague statement from EA. They could be talking about how BioWare is trying to find a balance between the shooter and RPG aspects. Possibly they want to make the RPG crowd happy, while appealing to a fanbase outside the RPG crowd. They could also say that to keep the investors at bay while they polish the game for an extra few months. Everything is just speculation at this point.

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
Jordi said:
Can anybody give me an example of when "tweaking to appeal to a wider market" did not mean "dumbing down"?
Examples are always tough. Particularly with such nebulous terms as "dumbing down". I admit that it sounds a bit questionable.... but then again, I can't think of an example where someone said they were tweaking something to have mass appeal and it *did* mean that it was dumbed down. And besides, sometimes things that are liked by a lot of people are good.

What I find more concerning is that it looks like an attempt by business to change the artistic vision of the game. I trust the artist making the art, not the businessman who wants to sell it. If that's what's happening here, I'm going to be angry.