EA Unleashes its "Indie Bundle"

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
-Dragmire- said:
*tilts head*

Doesn't the term 'indie' refer to the independent status of a developer, meaning they pay to develop and publish their game by themselves?
Indie means they independently created and funded the game. Someone else can still publish it for them.
Um, I don't think you understand what 'publish' means. Publish = funded.

OT: Interesting, but I'll still probably pass. Though it'll be interesting to see how Valve reacts when EA starts trying to screw everyone over.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Electronic Arts' Indie Bundle on Steam.

Now, all they have to do is release the titles on gog.com and throw those copies in for free and they'll have officially borked the universe.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
sir.rutthed said:
-Dragmire- said:
*tilts head*

Doesn't the term 'indie' refer to the independent status of a developer, meaning they pay to develop and publish their game by themselves?
Indie means they independently created and funded the game. Someone else can still publish it for them.
No...

Publishing is physical production (making the discs and such) and distribution to retail outlets. And marketing if they're in the mood for that.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
JediMB said:
sir.rutthed said:
-Dragmire- said:
*tilts head*

No...

Publishing is physical production (making the discs and such) and distribution to retail outlets. And marketing if they're in the mood for that.
Or with digitally distributed games indie games can end up with a publisher involved because of the console market. Bastion was entirely self-funded and developed, but they had to get a publisher to put their name on it for console distribution because you basically cannot self-publish on things like XBLA. The only options right now are either a publisher or XBLIG. There's been disagreement over whether Bastion can be considered an indie game for that reason, and depending on whether you you define it as "self-funded and retaining creative control" or "entirely done with no outside assistance (even if that's not really possible/practical in some situations)", both sides are right.

Oddly enough, Shank was in one of the Humble Indie Bundles too.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
Okay, I feel I need to share this, but I have no idea how to cite twitter posts, so bear with me.

Markus Persson @notch

EA releases an "indie bundle"? That's not how that works, EA. Stop attempting to ruin everything, you bunch of cynical bastards.

------------

Markus Persson @notch

Fwiw, I don't even call Mojang inde any more. Vlambeer is indie. Polytron is indie. Stephen, Ed, Terry, Derek, Tommy and Chris are indie.

------------

Markus Persson @notch

Indies are saving gaming. EA is methodically destroying it.
So, yea. That sums up my feelings before I even had a chance to type them myself.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Wait a minute. Doesn't something being Indie mean that it was independently funded and published? Or are we turning Indie into a genre now?

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
...hell is ironic?

Seriously, though, I have zero problem with this. The games are indie. As someone else mentioned, Shank was even in one of the Humble Indie Bundles. It's not like they're claiming Mass Effect 3 is indie or anything.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MrBrightside919 said:
I think the real irony comes with this being on STEAM...

I still don't get how Deathspank, which came out like 2 years ago, is still more expensive than Shank 2, which just came out like 2 months ago...
Maybe Deathspank is better?

I like Deathspank a lot. Haven't finished yet, despite having purchased both games on a sale, but it's a really fun and funny game.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Wait a minute. Doesn't something being Indie mean that it was independently funded and published? Or are we turning Indie into a genre now?
Its probably being branded as such so they can get better sales.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
JediMB said:
sir.rutthed said:
-Dragmire- said:
*tilts head*

No...

Publishers (help) fund projects the vast majority of the time. And having a multi-million dollar company run ad campaigns for you pretty much removes your indie certificate, at least for that particular game.

Essentially, independent studios aren't necessarily indie (I thought that was obvious). Valve are independent, they're not indie.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
As long as EA doesn't actually own the studios that developed the games, I think they can technically get away with calling it an 'Indie Bundle' since they'd just be publishing games made by independent devs ... Maybe?

*Shrugs*

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
So EA launch a competitor to Steam, prevents PC gamers (who don't want Origin) from getting Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3. Then, they launch an indy bundle...
I can't decide if I'm more excited to see what stupid stunt is next, or disgusted that this junk keeps happening.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
they're probably going through the same singularity they had in 2008 when they released something else for a change

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Is EA alright? Can someone check for signs of a hematoma or of a concussion?

I'm worried about you, Big Business. Go get yourself checked out, will ya? Or, you know, stop being disingenuous and don't call the things *you* funded "indie". You're devaluing the word by doing that.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Wanted all the games but only two were on mac, so buying 3 games I can't play is hardly a deal, why isn't there ports of Shank yet? Damn!

Captcha: Shake a leg hahahhahahaha

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Meanwhile, in EA's headquarters on a skull shaped mountain...

I'm not sure if this is a case of "Hey! Lookit all that money the Humble Indie Bundle made! We want a piece of that!", "Like us! Please! Like us again! We're desperate!", or "Okay, and that's something else we've ruined...what's next? Oooh! Puppies!"

Ya have to hand it to EA. Occasionally, they'll go ahead and do something that makes you wanna pinch their cheeks and give them a lolly.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
"Indie" has been listed as a genre on Steam and various other places for years now, sadly.