EA Unleashes its "Indie Bundle"

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Grey Carter said:
EA promoting an indie bundle? I'm pretty sure that's ironic. That's ironic as hell.
That's not ironic. That has nothing to do with irony. It's a misnomer (a misnomer is a word or term which suggests a meaning that is known to be wrong -- also a word that is used incorrectly or misleadingly. Examples include JRPG (they aren't RPGs) and a "lead pencil" (lead isn't used in pencils anymore).

It's is, however, ironic that you called something ironic and it isn't.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
-Dragmire- said:
*tilts head*

Doesn't the term 'indie' refer to the independent status of a developer, meaning they pay to develop and publish their game by themselves?
Hey, if "indie" can be a genre of music that is counted regardless of who publishes the music, why not games?
Indie when referring to music labels means the label doesn't give the band any money. For example, Neurot Records is an indie label that bands sign up to in order to use their recording gear and have their record shown on a big website. The recording is independently made and produced and no money changes hands. The company makes money by charging a small fee for online record sales and from bands under their name being booked for shows.

Think of indie bands like this: if your dad buys you the instruments, pays for lessons and drives you to your first gig, you still did it all within the spirit of indie, you just had help. The exact, literal definition of indie can't really be used in any realistic way, as everything can be said to have benefited from something bigger. Unless you plant your own seeds, cut down the tree that grows, build your own guitar and shit--but you would need to get the seeds from someone else and even if you find them, they came from somewhere else.

Simply put: did you get paid? Yes: not indie. No: possibly indie.

Source: lots of years in the indie scene.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Tipsy Giant said:
Wanted all the games but only two were on mac, so buying 3 games I can't play is hardly a deal, why isn't there ports of Shank yet? Damn!

Captcha: Shake a leg hahahhahahaha
I thought there was a port for Shank. I got it through the Humble Indie Bundle. Maybe its not on Steam. I remember having that problem with Hammerfight.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Abedeus said:
MrBrightside919 said:
I think the real irony comes with this being on STEAM...

I still don't get how Deathspank, which came out like 2 years ago, is still more expensive than Shank 2, which just came out like 2 months ago...
Maybe Deathspank is better?

I like Deathspank a lot. Haven't finished yet, despite having purchased both games on a sale, but it's a really fun and funny game.
I'm not bashing Deathspank...it's a great game...

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Did anybody actually watch Extra Credits?

They basically said that EA could benefit from creating a dedicated EA indie branch.

Maybe EA is actually trying to make money the sensible way. By making games we'd like to play.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
j0frenzy said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Wanted all the games but only two were on mac, so buying 3 games I can't play is hardly a deal, why isn't there ports of Shank yet? Damn!

Captcha: Shake a leg hahahhahahaha
I thought there was a port for Shank. I got it through the Humble Indie Bundle. Maybe its not on Steam. I remember having that problem with Hammerfight.
Their loss, I have plenty of games on my plate to keep me busy and it'll only get cheaper

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Azuaron said:
...hell is ironic?
WARNING, TV TROPES:

But yes, it is. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IronicHell]

So EA is concurrently pissing everyone and their grandma off by releasing a steam competitor complete with exclusive rights to extremely popular games,

AND

promoting an "Indie Bundle" sale for their very competition?

Jeeze, where's an inception top when you need one?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Grey Carter said:
EA promoting an indie bundle? I'm pretty sure that's ironic. That's ironic as hell.
That's not ironic. That has nothing to do with irony. It's a misnomer (a misnomer is a word or term which suggests a meaning that is known to be wrong -- also a word that is used incorrectly or misleadingly. Examples include JRPG (they aren't RPGs) and a "lead pencil" (lead isn't used in pencils anymore).

It's is, however, ironic that you called something ironic and it isn't.
Dictionary definition: "the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, ?How nice!? when I said I had to work all weekend."

EA is the polar opposite of Indie.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Indie when referring to music labels means the label doesn't give the band any money.
Unfortunately, there's a fuckton of major labels spouting off "indie" bands, which is exactly what I was talking about.

You can continue to miss the point and lecture me on what's "really," indie, but that doesn't realy change anything.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Innegativeion said:
Azuaron said:
...hell is ironic?
WARNING, TV TROPES:

But yes, it is. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IronicHell]
...none of that is ironic. Irony requires an inversion of expectations or statement, and "ironic hell" as told by TV Tropes is, as they say right on the page, "Contrappasso", or, "the punishment fits the crime," which means it conforms to expectations.

True ironic hell, or, in other words, a hell contrary to stated expectations, would be a non-hellish hell, like if it was just awesome the whole time, instead of eternal punishment.

*amateur philologist rant*

Innegativeion said:
So EA is concurrently pissing everyone and their grandma off by releasing a steam competitor complete with exclusive rights to extremely popular games,

AND

promoting an "Indie Bundle" sale for their very competition?

Jeeze, where's an inception top when you need one?
You don't want the top. You want your own thing. Hell, Cobb shouldn't have even had the top since it was Mal's.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
EA... Indie... Publishers cancel out indie... For fuck sake lads, get it together.

Surely it should be renamed to 'bundle of slightly under budget, and harsh working hours inducing game titles.'

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
Every time I see someone refer to Alanis Morissette and her song Ironic, I immediately think of Ed Byrne and his stand up act about how the song shouldn't be called Ironic, but rather Unfortunate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Indie when referring to music labels means the label doesn't give the band any money.
Unfortunately, there's a fuckton of major labels spouting off "indie" bands, which is exactly what I was talking about.

You can continue to miss the point and lecture me on what's "really," indie, but that doesn't realy change anything.
I wasn't lecturing you, so put your guard down and drop the pretense. I was simply explaining to you what indie means when referring to music.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Azuaron said:
...none of that is ironic. Irony requires an inversion of expectations or statement
Um, you mean exactly what is described on the page? The punished aren't expecting their greatest sin to be turned against them for eternity, or presumably they wouldn't have been doing it.

Hell, they even provide an example in the first paragraph; a glutton, one with a voracious desire for something, usually excessive eating, would expect to eat excessively. So they're starved for eternity. Even if he has at any point said 'I want to eat', then that's still technically an inversion of statement. The "expectations vs. outcome" variety of irony doesn't get any simpler than that.

Azuaron said:
You don't want the top. You want your own thing. Hell, Cobb shouldn't have even had the top since it was Mal's.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Innegativeion said:
Azuaron said:
...none of that is ironic. Irony requires an inversion of expectations or statement
Um, you mean exactly what is described on the page? The punished aren't expecting their greatest sin to be turned against them for eternity, or presumably they wouldn't have been doing it.

Hell, they even provide an example in the first paragraph; a glutton, one with a voracious desire for something, usually excessive eating, would expect to eat excessively. So they're starved for eternity. Even if he has at any point said 'I want to eat', then that's still technically an inversion of statement. The "expectations vs. outcome" variety of irony doesn't get any simpler than that.
No, the punished aren't expecting to end up in Hell. Once in Hell, that's basically what they should be expecting.

I suppose the issue I'm having is that even if it were ironic for the person, it's not ironic for Hell, so calling it "ironic Hell" is wrong (the irony is not describing Hell, but the situations people within Hell find themselves in). Particularly since my original statement arose from the OP saying "ironic as Hell," explicitly stating that Hell itself was ironic, not that the people in Hell were experiencing irony.

It's actually more of a "karmic Hell", assuming you're misapplying the philosophical concept of karma [http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0848.html].

Edit: Yes, I was ignoring your point. But, given that we're arguing about whether or not Hell is ironic when the original topic is about EA promoting an "indie" bundle, you should realize that's something I like to do.